Forum Navigation

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Forum Navigation

Post by joachimeberhard »

Dear site-admins!

Would it be possible to set the correct links on the upper left forum navigation?

For example:

forums.scummvm.org -> Forum Index -> General Discussion.

Right now, for example the last Link "General Discussion" points again to forums.scummvm.org instead of pointing to the sub-forum General Discussion.

Now, would it be possible to set the correct links to all the correct sub-forums?

This would ease navigation quite a lot.

EDIT: Actually I'm talking about the following:

When I have just entered "General Discussion" for example, it would be very nice to just click "General Discussion" again to reload.

It would be very conveniant to use it this way instead of browser navigation (hitting reload)

Best regards

Joachim Eberhard
Last edited by joachimeberhard on Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUN

Post by GUN »

okay ... in this topic ..

an linking from the scummVM Logo to the Main Page / overviw of the Board is needed ..

or there is no posibility to get from the search away

:S // oh hell .. my english must be really bad .. if i think about .. analphabetism wouldn't so bad
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Hm, i can leave search by the forums.scummvm.org Forum Index link under the logo, but maybe this has just been fixed right now :lol:

But where I got stuck is actually PM's.

The forums.scummvm.org Forum Index link is missing there, so I have to click search or faq instead to get back to the index.

Best regards

Joachim
GUN

Post by GUN »

joachimeberhard wrote:Hm, i can leave search by the forums.scummvm.org Forum Index link under the logo, but maybe this has just been fixed right now :lol:

But where I got stuck is actually PM's.

The forums.scummvm.org Forum Index link is missing there, so I have to click search or faq instead to get back to the index.

Best regards

Joachim

No .. after you searched ..

and in the PN Box .. there exist a löink .. but , wrong position , i think .. the link exist near right by NEW POST :D
fingolfin
Retired

Re: Forum Navigation

Post by fingolfin »

joachimeberhard wrote: When I have just entered "General Discussion" for example, it would be very nice to just click "General Discussion" again to reload.

It would be very conveniant to use it this way instead of browser navigation (hitting reload)
Hm this is already the way it works for me... but then maybe Ender just changed it already, I am not sure if it always worked like that :-)
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

There does appear to be a missing variable in one of the thread index templates.

This will be fixed when I upload the updated templates w/ the new site colours.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Ender wrote:There does appear to be a missing variable in one of the thread index templates.

This will be fixed when I upload the updated templates w/ the new site colours.
Any news on the forums update?
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

joachimeberhard wrote:Any news on the forums update?
I've fallen behind in this thanks to RL (eg, no-job) issues. Thats not really an excuse, because it obviously means I've got more free time, but I have to sort out a way to pay the bills first :)

I could push the update as-is, but I'd prefer to finish it up first. Expect some of these changes to occur Friday night.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Cool!

I also prefer finished stuff :D
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Having the logo link to the main website would help.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Ender wrote: Expect some of these changes to occur Friday night.
Just a reminder to update the forums one day or the other. :wink:
clem

Post by clem »

I started redoing the forum for now (sorrry Ender, I know you wanted to do it yourself ;-)

here's a WIP shot:

http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0200586/stuff/forum.png

what do you think?

Edit: should the scummvm logo in the top left to www.scummvm.org and not forums.scummvm.org? I also might move the buttons on top to the top-right corner, how's that?
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

Good start. I can see we generally have the same idea :)

The majority of the theme is already quite advanced, so there isn't really much point spending too much time on it. I'm always happy for help, but even if you did finish yours - I would just have to readd all the custom templates etc anyway. Eg, it'd probably take just as long before it went live.

The main missing piece that people could help with is some image work, which I'm not too good at. Mainly, removing the yellow aliasing from the various icons. and perhaps resizing the New Topic / Reply buttons to fit better. Although increasing the bars height might be easier :)

See:
http://forums.scummvm.org/test1.png
http://forums.scummvm.org/test2.png

I've got two test themes at the moment, one using a cleaned up layout of the current buttons (seen above), and the other with a navbar like the main ScummVM site uses. I'm probably going to go with the buttons, as the navbar does take up a little more screen real-estate than I'd like.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Whats with all the greyness :(
clem

Post by clem »

...and will we see the finished version faster than the website redesign, seeing you're pretty busy all the time?