Javascript Port

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MaxG

Javascript Port

Post by MaxG »

It would be nice if you will add a Javascript Port in the next future (at least the Core)?

Max
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

heh, I *almost* thought that this was meant seriously :lol:
MaxG

Post by MaxG »

Hehehe... amusing right? :twisted:
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

What... you mean I started working on it and spent all that time on it for ... nothing ??? damn :evil:
MaxG

Post by MaxG »

fingolfin wrote:What... you mean I started working on it and spent all that time on it for ... nothing ??? damn :evil:
Are you working on real Javascript Port?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

MaxG wrote:Are you working on real Javascript Port?
Counter question: Are you seriously asking whether somebody is working on a Javascript Port??????

I struggled for some minutes to come up with a good comparision to show how ridicolous this question is, but finally gave up. I just can't find something equally ... uhm, "detached from reality", to put it nicely. "When hell freezes over" just doesn't fit, because that would imply the question in itself would make sense, which it doesn't. Even if it did make sense, it would be nonsensical, of course... but sadly we don't even get to that stage <sigh>

Anyway, in short:
* Changing to a different language is not a port, it's a total rewrite (this has been explained in this forum again and again, BTW).
* JavaScript isn't even closely remote to a language I'd consider writing a ScummVM clone, for various technical reasons that anybody reasonably experienced with computer languages hopefully will see immediately (yeah yeah, strictly speaking Javascript is turing complete and thus it would hypothetically be possible, given enough resources, but then, it is also hypothetically possible to dig a tunnel from England to Norway with a spoon).
MaxG

Post by MaxG »

fingolfin wrote: Counter question: Are you seriously asking whether somebody is working on a Javascript Port??????
NO, damn no! :lol:
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

As there is also a Wolfenstein 3D in JavaScript, I think that's enough motivation for the devs to give a ScummVM_JS a try... :lol: 8)