Version 0.9.1beta6 released for testing!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Postuf

Post by Postuf »

Spyder wrote:I never said it had anything to do with /q, but I always used /q in dos because without quickformat formatting took forever :P

the windows formatter doesn't list /u in the options, but my card wasn't badly corrupted so I can't say if that option would do anything or not.
Formating should be near instant for SD/CF cards since they are so small in capacity. Like a 250 GB only takes a couple minutes to format the long way. My miniSD 2 GB is pretty much an instant format.
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

indeed it is - but old habits are hard to break. I used to format floppies a lot, and even hard drives... so painfully slow without quickformat, and once you start a normal format you can't cancel and start a quickformat ;)
Shadow_Zero

Post by Shadow_Zero »

kedest83 wrote:you should only have to hold L once. Then scummvm will save that setting to SRAM, and upon rebooting, the M3 should save it to the .DAT file.
So it needs a .DAT file. That means you'll have to use game manager (use the direct copy option) to put the scummvm file on your card.
I did use the Game Manager to put scummvm on my mini-sd card, but I have to press L everytime I boot if I want to get it to work...

Anyone one the quitting part? Does it matter to 'quit' the game or just 'power off' it?
werpu

Bad report on the SC mini SD side of things

Post by werpu »

Ok Supercard mini SD loading works fine once I press r, even without patching, but as soon as I save it crashes...
reproducably.

Sorry for reporting this so late, but I was away from my DS for a while.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Supercard saving doesn't work all that well.

Use the SRAM save feature:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... cesramsave
BPM

Post by BPM »

BPM wrote:Using:
  • JP Enamel Navy DS Lite (firmware: FlashMe V7)
  • US M3 Lite (firmware: v29e)
  • Kingston 1GB microSD
  • scummvm-a.nds (non-ZIP method)
It booted up a couple of times with no problems. Then after I tried to save a game for Sam & Max, it tells me on the next boot that the flash card reader cannot be found.

I cleared SRAM, but that didn't fix it.

I deleted the Sam & Max save file, but that didn't fix it, either.

I deleted the INI file, and it still says it can't be found.

I even deleted the .NDS file (and its save), via the M3 manager, then re-downloaded it to my M3, and it still gives me the same error!

... Any suggestions to fix this?
Still need help...
Shadow_Zero

Post by Shadow_Zero »

Hmmmz, it remains so odd...
I got it to work perfectly with Monkey Island 2 (and M3 boot mode). The next time I tried to boot scummvm it didn't find the flash card. Rebooted with L+R and cleared the SRAM and the game worked fine again. Next time I wanted to play again it didn't find the flash card again and I couldn't use the clear SRAM "trick".
I have the idea this problem arises when I have made a savegame in Monkey Island.
I'll try to test with a few reboots without making a savegame and if that keeps working, make a savegame again.

Is this an issue? Is there a solution/workaround?

Setup again: M3-Mini + Kingston 1gb mini-sd
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Did you copy ScummVM onto the card with the M3 Game Manager so it created the SRAM save? Sounds like your SRAM isn't working properly.

If SRAM isn't set up, the next game you play will overwrite the SRAM and cause ScummVM to have corrupted settings. It would explain what you're seeing.
Shadow_Zero

Post by Shadow_Zero »

agentq wrote:Did you copy ScummVM onto the card with the M3 Game Manager so it created the SRAM save? Sounds like your SRAM isn't working properly.

If SRAM isn't set up, the next game you play will overwrite the SRAM and cause ScummVM to have corrupted settings. It would explain what you're seeing.
See the 3rd post of this page :)
So yes, I used the M3 Game Manager.

I haven't come around to my testings yet.

Do I see it right that SRAM = the .dat file that is created in the NDSSAVE folder when copying with the M3 Game Manager?

Any ideas why the SRAM wouldn't work properly? Can it be sd-card related? Might Fat16 over Fat32 make any difference?
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

I was using an M3 miniSD and a 1gb A-Data flash card - before I sold it to buy an M3 Lite I tested 0.9.1 and it worked fine.

Try copying everything off it, formatting it fat16 (full format, not quickformat) and copying everything back. Check the .ini file isn't corrupt while you're at it.

Yes, the SRAM is the .dat file in the NDSSAVE folder. Do you have the M3 set to autosave on startup?
Shadow_Zero

Post by Shadow_Zero »

I haven't touched the M3 settings. Is it a standard setting? It's in the option screen (don't have the M3 at hand at the moment heh).
How can I check the .ini file isn't corrupt?
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

if your M3 says "saving scummvm-a.dat" when you turn it on after running scummvm, then you're fine. Yes, the setting for that is in the option screen.

Just open the .ini file in notepad, and check that everything looks like it's in english (even if you don't understand it, all the letters should be english at least).
Shadow_Zero

Post by Shadow_Zero »

Here's an interesting case.
Yesterday I got my micro-sd mini-sd adapters in (or is that the other way around? :roll: ). I tried the micro-sd card that has ScummVM working on the M3-Lite and put it in the M3-Mini v3 and it didn't work...
So somehow the problem with ScummVM is related to the M3 adapter and not to the sd-cards. Or perhaps the M3-Mini prefers FAT16 more than M3-Lite...
I'll try to do some more testing when I have a new micro-sd card which I can format all the time ;)
thebawp

Post by thebawp »

Played Monkey Island 2 the other day and discovered it won't save at all, nor will Monkey Island 1, to my Supercard SD. Basically I just get 2 black screens and when I turn the DS off and on again, the save is reported as invalid in the game. I've not had problems saving these games in the past with earlier builds of Scummvm DS, and it seems to save other games (Zak McKracken, StS2) without issue.

I guess I'll have to use the SRAM save feature, or revert to an older build to save these games?
Metal_Spirit

Post by Metal_Spirit »

Shadow Zero... The M3 lite is different from the M3 mini... ScummVm works on Both, and I can ashure you of that.

Just delete and re-create the dat file, and then Press L at startup to redetect your m3.