Version 0.9.1beta6 released for testing!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Spyder

Post by Spyder »

ok, using beta 5 I can load sam&max without any problem, and it even loads the save made with beta 6 (which oddly enough doesn't turn the DS off now that I've loaded s&m with beta 5... don't you hate random bugs? :)).

Monkey Island 2 also works in beta 5, here's the error I get in beta 6 where it just dumps me to the debug console:

Code: Select all

ERROR: charset 1 not in room 4 at 0+151338 in file monkey2.001
Looks like I'm sticking with beta 5 for now.
dourden

Post by dourden »

nobody but me is getting problems with a SC lite?
evilsim

sam n max & day of the tentacle

Post by evilsim »

the .so3 voice files work!! thanks guys and gals SCUMMVM DS is soooooo kickass, cant wait for it to improve and become faster. (although i play them now anyway!)

im using SCLite, using renamed (a) file from 0.9.1 beta6.
ive also got a SC Mini SD here, using same .nds file as above.
I hold "R" to get the card reader working when i run the nds.

[sam n max & day of the tentacle]
both games load and play fine, the voice is jittery sometimes and in heavy scenes the gameplay slows down. saving (and loading) works on the SCminiSD, but saving doesnt work on the SCLite :?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

durden, your problem is possibly the format on your SD card being messed up a little. Try formatting from a command prompt using:

format x: /u /fs:fat

Replace x: with the drive letter of your card. MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE CORRECT DRIVE LETTER, AS YOU WILL LOSE THE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF THE DISK!

Post a message if this fixes it for you.

Spyder, it sounds like your SD card has become corrupted. Reformat it and copy the games again, then use the force sram save option to stop it happening again:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... cesramsave
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

agentq wrote:Spyder, it sounds like your SD card has become corrupted. Reformat it and copy the games again, then use the force sram save option to stop it happening again:
I would've said so too, but it works fine in beta 5 :P

I think I'm still using fat32 on my card so I'll reformat it as fat tonight.
dourden

Post by dourden »

But, if the format on my micro SD card being messed up a little

why the beta 2 is working perfectly?
Shadow_Zero

Post by Shadow_Zero »

agentq wrote:durden, your problem is possibly the format on your SD card being messed up a little. Try formatting from a command prompt using:

format x: /u /fs:fat

Replace x: with the drive letter of your card. MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE CORRECT DRIVE LETTER, AS YOU WILL LOSE THE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF THE DISK!

Post a message if this fixes it for you.

Spyder, it sounds like your SD card has become corrupted. Reformat it and copy the games again, then use the force sram save option to stop it happening again:
What does the /fs:fat do exactly? :)
(and how can you tell when a card is messed up?)

And how can I tell if I should use the force sram save option, or is that just trial and error?
kedest83

Post by kedest83 »

/fs:fat sets the file system on the card.
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

Spyder wrote:
agentq wrote:Spyder, it sounds like your SD card has become corrupted. Reformat it and copy the games again, then use the force sram save option to stop it happening again:
I would've said so too, but it works fine in beta 5 :P

I think I'm still using fat32 on my card so I'll reformat it as fat tonight.
Well now this is weird. After the reformat, I load up either b5 or b6 and they get corrupted file lists for 2 of the 4 folders on my card. I only discovered this because one of them has a subfolder :)

Everything looks fine in windows.

edit: fixed it, required a full format not a quick format (I prefer the GUI windows formatter over the dos prompt). Worth noting for any troubleshooters.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

That's why I told you to use the DOS formatter, because it does the right thing.

I think the /u option will also overwrite parts of the header of the disk which would otherwise be left in a broken state by windows (but I might be wrong about that).
Shadow_Zero

Post by Shadow_Zero »

My experiences with beta6.

I got Monkey Island 2 to work with my M3-mini v3 + 1gb Kingston mini-sd and booting with L.
I never understood if the L booting has to be performed every time or just once. In my experience it's every time (and it not always picks up the L-button-press for some reason, which is quite annoying).

Savegames work.

I tried to quit the game via the quit option of SCUMM and I could boot the game normally again afterwards.
After that I tried to quit by turning the power off and now I'm not able to boot SCUMMVM anymore. Can this be true?
kedest83

Post by kedest83 »

you should only have to hold L once. Then scummvm will save that setting to SRAM, and upon rebooting, the M3 should save it to the .DAT file.
So it needs a .DAT file. That means you'll have to use game manager (use the direct copy option) to put the scummvm file on your card.
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

agentq wrote:That's why I told you to use the DOS formatter, because it does the right thing.

I think the /u option will also overwrite parts of the header of the disk which would otherwise be left in a broken state by windows (but I might be wrong about that).
not quite... if I'd used the DOS formatter, I would've added /q for quickformat the first time :P

/u actually doesn't do anything under modern windows. It used to mean unconditional format, I can't remember if that meant skip the 'are you sure' prompt or just the opposite of /q

far too many years spent messing around with dos... :lol:
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

/u means unconditional format. This skips the checks that the disc is valid and just writes blindly over the data, and should replace the header of the disk which seems to be left alone if the option is not used. Without /u, it can refuse to format some very corrupted disks.

I don't know if it still works under windows, but it definately used to do that under DOS.

The DS fat driver checks the master boot record for certain signature bytes, and also the header for the FAT partition to see if it's a valid fat disk. Without those, it will fail to detect the card reader. With the /u option these would definately be rewritten to the disk, without it I wouldn't be so sure.

It's nothing to do with /q or skipping the prompt.
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

I never said it had anything to do with /q, but I always used /q in dos because without quickformat formatting took forever :P

the windows formatter doesn't list /u in the options, but my card wasn't badly corrupted so I can't say if that option would do anything or not.