DS-Xtreme support?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Der_tolle_Emil

Post by Der_tolle_Emil »

I definetly will and keep you posted. The weather is as bad as it can be anyways so staying at home tonight is more fun anyways. Could be that I fall asleep over my DS after about half an hour though because I am quite tired. Anyway, I am off to test the new firmware.
tomten

Post by tomten »

DS-X is listed as "This card cannot be used at all" on this page: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Nintendo_DS

Somebody wanna "correct" it? And write something about 0.61 vs 0.9x etc...
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

tomten wrote:Somebody wanna "correct" it? And write something about 0.61 vs 0.9x etc...
I can, but would rather do it after agentq confirms it works.
Der_tolle_Emil

Post by Der_tolle_Emil »

I tried 0.61 and 0.91 with the new an updated 1.02 DS-X firmware. Both versions run correctly but savestates with 0.91 seem to get corrupted as with the older firmware. I tried Sam'n'Max and Monkey Island 1 with 0.91 and my Sam'n'Max states are all useless, my MI1 states do work, however I have not put that much time in MI1 and only saved at the very beginning of the game. If I am not mistaken MI1's saves are quite a bit smaller so the propability of a corrupted save might be less than with Sam'n'Max.

I then switched back to 0.61 and played quite a while and this versions looks like it does function correctly with DS-X 1.02. My Sam'n'Max states are all intact and the game worked like it should.

Personally I thought that it would make more sense to confirm 0.61 is still working rather than find out if 0.91 works just a tiny bit better than before - that's why I haven't even tried the SC SD detection yet with 0.91 although I don't think it will make a difference.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I can't really confirm anything, since DSX have released nothing at all in terms of docs/source code so far.

They have been in contact with me, but the guy didn't know anything about when a driver would appear, or whether they could tell me what their patcher does, or even whether I'd get a sample unit.

Until then, Der_tolle_Emil's tests are the only indication. Fate of Atlantis, DOTT, and MI2 all save temporary saves during the game which are read back into memory soon after. If saving these is unreliable, then these games will crash often. There is no SRAM save option to use on the DSX because it's not a GBA cart device. So really, I'd rather keep the compatibility status at 'Not working'.
jefklak

Post by jefklak »

Just so you know agentq - I received my DS X-treme today and did some testing.

1) upgraded to firmware v1.0.2
2) used your latest stable scummVMDS 0.9.1 - no earlier versions
3) _ALL_ games work, save, load etc. Horray + rejoice

BTW, fantastic work, I love this thing :)

Edit: I'll have to take this back. Monkey Island 2 loads fine, but as soon as I try to load a day of the tentacle save, I get an error: illegal... something (can't read the text, too cluttered and small scaled). The SCVUMMVM.INI file gets corrupted after that so scummvmds won't start anymore unless I recopy the original or delete it.
[scummvm]
FM_medium_quality=truebrowser_lastpath=mp:/
lastselectedgame=tentacleautosave_period=0
versioninfo=0.9.1

[ds]
twohundredpepcent=false
disablepoweroff=true
xoffset=0
22khzaudio=true
unscaled=falsetwohundredpercelt=false
lefthanded=true
yoffset=0

[tentacle]
description=Day of the Tentacle (English/CD)
music_volume=256
speech_volume=256
path=mp:/TENTACLEmusic_driver=auto
subtitles=true
gameid=tentacle
language=en
sfx_volume=256
talkspeed=57
speech_mute=false
Can you see the differences? "perpelpt" - "percent" and other stuff... Hmm, I'll have to test this further
Edit: the error is
Error: Loading illegal Glob type 0 (0) num 0
I saved another test day of the tentacle, can anyone please verify if the savegame is corrupt or not - I do not think so since monkey island 2 loads/saves fine and DOTT uses the same SCVUMM version (a)
http://www.jefklak.com/stuff/tentacle.zip - contains tentacle.s01
please verify!

Edit: okay
- all games for BUILD C work including load/save - simon 1/2
- agentq, is this normal for all flash carts? with simon1/2 when you press quit using the card in your inventory, scummvmds freezes and sound 'hangs', instead of powering down your handheld.
Edit2: monkey island 1 also WORKS.
Edit3: Sam & Max does NOT - saving as usual, but loading does not generate an error either, it just 'hangs' (black screen & the icon which you last used as an action for sam&max)...
Wait a minute, SAMMAX.S01 seems damaged, can't zip/copy/do anything with it?

Edit4: sorry about all the trouble, but basically what I found out is the same as the previous poster with his DSX. 0.6.1 seems to work just fine with save states - dott and sam&max load correctly.
chris256

Post by chris256 »

jefklak wrote: Edit4: sorry about all the trouble, but basically what I found out is the same as the previous poster with his DSX. 0.6.1 seems to work just fine with save states - dott and sam&max load correctly.
Hi!

Interestingly, I've got the same problem with my supercard lite (latest firmware 1.70). The old version of scummvm (0.6.1) works fine: I never get corrupted saved games. The new version (0.9.1) makes corrupted files quite often. Maybe the save process has been changed between the 0.6.1 and 0.9.1. In this cas, could it be possible to make a 0.9.1 version with the 0.6.1 savegame method?

Christophe
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Did you see the sticky at the top of the forum? The one that's called 'Everything about ScummVM DS. READ BEFORE POSTING.'?
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=2081

It may be that the DSX may emulate the SC SD in some way, which would explain why there are similar problems.

There is no difference between the SC SD driver in v0.61 and the one in version 0.9.1. The file is identical. You can check it yourself. The difference is because the driver is incredibly dodgy.

Solution: buy a recommended card reader.
tomten

Post by tomten »

agentq wrote:Did you see the sticky at the top of the forum? The one that's called 'Everything about ScummVM DS. READ BEFORE POSTING.'?
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=2081

It may be that the DSX may emulate the SC SD in some way, which would explain why there are similar problems.

There is no difference between the SC SD driver in v0.61 and the one in version 0.9.1. The file is identical. You can check it yourself. The difference is because the driver is incredibly dodgy.

Solution: buy a recommended card reader.
Did they give you a DS-X yet? =]
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Well, not exactly, but they did post me a PM to say I've been approved to receive one, so I should get one soon.

Unfortunately the PM was waiting on their site for a month, since I don't visit the DSX site very often. Whoops!

Now I've sent them my address, I may well receive one soon.

In the meantime, it would be useful if you could test v0.9.1a beta from the sticky at the top of the forum and see if it now works?
Der_tolle_Emil

Post by Der_tolle_Emil »

agentq wrote:Well, not exactly, but they did post me a PM to say I've been approved to receive one, so I should get one soon.

Unfortunately the PM was waiting on their site for a month, since I don't visit the DSX site very often. Whoops!

Now I've sent them my address, I may well receive one soon.

In the meantime, it would be useful if you could test v0.9.1a beta from the sticky at the top of the forum and see if it now works?
Hi! Nice to hear that you may finally receive a DS-X. I have been very busy the last few weeks so I haven't really had much time to play around with ScummVM DS. I just now downloaded the new version and will to some testing today. I'll let you know how it works.

Thank you for the support and merry christmas!
tomten

Post by tomten »

agentq wrote:it would be useful if you could test v0.9.1a beta from the sticky at the top of the forum and see if it now works?
I've posted my findings so far in the 091ab1 thread.