How to run ScummVM on your PSP (Read if u dont know how)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Booger

How to run ScummVM on your PSP (Read if u dont know how)

Post by Booger »

i read tru the posts and a loot of them are
Q: how do i install ScummVM on my PSP and how does it owrk blablabla??

First we need to look at the PSP u need to know the verson aka firm
to do that go to settings then find system settings den go to system information

u now c
MAC Address:
System software verson: (here u se verson)
Nickname:

if u have verson 1.00 or 1.50 u are good to go.
but if u do have higer u need to downgrade to 1.50 or get a eloader.

i recomend geting 1.50 because it is the golden firm. and u can emulate up to 2.71.

ScummVM is a Homebruw and 1.50 is the best for running homebruws.

if u have verson 1.00 or 1.50 skip the next part.

this is for those that are over 1.50 and under 2.80
u can downgrade your PSP down to 1.50 ( u can brick[brake] your PSP but havent happend to me and i have downgraded 4 times on 3 psps)

i havent used this one Dark_Alex have made it and he is the king of PSP haxing.

first u need a 2.71 Firm, u can update if u dont have it.

go to link:
http://pspupdates.qj.net/Dark-AleX-s-Ge ... /aid/68395
http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/829

Read and Read agein. then downgrade

And there are more. one were u need 2.5 or 2.6 but then u need a old verson of GTA LCS

and there is one were u need som files that art legal copy blablabla.
http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/755

Now that u have a 1.50 Firm.
now the fun part starts. u can use a looooot of homebruws and i recomend u learn about then and use some of them. a loot of fun.

Now u downloade ScummVM ( i recomend the 9.1 333MHz)

conet your PSP to your PC with USB A/B Cable

ON the PSP u find a Folder whit the name Game

Open the Zip file and pull and drag the folder __SCE__scummvm-psp %__SCE__scummvm-psp folders into your PSS/Game folder

now u have isntald ScummVM ( same prosess for other homebuws)

Now start the PSP go to game and u find Momory Stick at the bottom. enter that and u find ScummVM and start that.

Now u have a 1.50 PSP or a 1.00 PSP and can use homebuws and more apps =)

Good luck have fun and sry for type Os
clem

Post by clem »

just curious, do you write non-standard english on purpose?
Booger

Post by Booger »

habbit :P
wololo

Post by wololo »

Booger wrote:habbit :P
You should remember that 95% of this planet is made of people whose mother language is not english, and for them (including myself), reading such unusual stuff is difficult.
This thread would be helpful if it was written in correct english.

(just my 2 cents)
jak66

Post by jak66 »

wololo wrote:
Booger wrote:habbit :P
You should remember that 95% of this planet is made of people whose mother language is not english, and for them (including myself), reading such unusual stuff is difficult.
This thread would be helpful if it was written in correct english.

(just my 2 cents)
is this any better for you?

Q: How do I install ScummVM on my PSP and how does it work blahblahblah??

First we need to look at the PSP u need to know the verson aka firmware to do that go to settings then find system settings then go to system information

now you will get 3 lines
MAC Address: (Your PSPs specific MAC address)
Nickname: (The nickname you put onto psp)
System software verson: (Your PSPs firmware version)

There are 12 different official firmware versions and 2 unofficial firmware version which are;
1.00, 1.50, 1.51, 1.52, 2.00, 2.01, 2.50, 2.60, 2.70, 2.71, 2.80, 2.81 are the official ones, 1.50 CF, 2.71 SE-A are the unofficial ones
1.5 CF stands for 1.5 Custom Firmware

For firmware - 1.00
Put the single eboot (eboot.pbp) in a folder scummvm-psp on you memory stick in the game folder, which is in the psp folder(so ms0://psp/game/scummvm-psp/eboot.pbp, where ms0:// is your memory stick root) then you go into the __SCE__scummvm-psp folder and copy all the files EXCEPT the eboot.pbp into the folder that you placed the single eboot.pbp (so ms0://psp/game/scummvm-psp/) run from XMB (cross media bar, what you see when you turn psp on)

For firmware - 1.50/1.50 CF
Copy the folders __SCE__scummvm-psp and %__SCE__scummvm-psp into the game folder in the psp folder on your memory stick (so ms0://psp/game/%__SCE__scummvm-psp/ and ms0://psp/game/__SCE__scummvm-psp/). Run from XMB
1.50 CF can also follow 1.00 instructions, (if you would prefer only having 1 folder)

For firmware - 1.51/1.52/2.80/2.81
You cannot play any homebrew on these firmwares (except for TIFF homebrew on 2.80). 1.51 and 1.52 can however upgrade to 2.0-2.71 to play homebrew

For firmware - 2.00/2.01/2.50/2.60/2.70/2.71
Follow instructions for firmware 1.0 untill you get to run from XMB as it wont work. you now need to download eLoader from www.noobz.eu (0.99 is the latest eloader version) use exe if you can but i think zip has readme for installation once installed got to photo viewer then press start when on folder called eloader 099 (or something similar) it will load eMenu. now just find scummvm-psp and press x
for firmware 2.71 you also have option to use HenC but i am unsure if it works so will not eplain about it here

for firmware - 2.71 SE-A
Follow instructions for firmware 1.0 except you place the scummvm-psp folder in the game150 folder rather than the game folder (so ms0://psp/game150/scummvm-psp/) now run from XMB

You can degrade PSPs to 1.50, but degraders can brick (I degraded my psp 3 times and degraded 2 friends PSPs, so i do know what risks are involved) the reason some brick is mainly due to a hardware problem, some PSPs have a motherboard refered to as TA-082 any psp with this motherboard will not allow 1.50 to be run on the PSP, thus degrading would brick/break the PSP Therefore i will not explain how to do that here
Logan1981

Post by Logan1981 »

Hi peeps

Does anyone know how to get this working on Dark_Alex's 3.02 OE-B firmware?

It should be the same as for 2.71 SE really. But I copy the eboot.pbp, modern.ini and modern.zip into \PSP\GAME\GAME150\ folder and when I run it, I get:

"The game could not be started. (80020148)"

If I try it the 1.50 way, putting the two folders into \PSP\GAME\ I get a similar error:

"The game could not be started. (8002014c)"

I'm launching by going to the GAME>Memory Stick on PSP and pressing X on 'scummVM'.

Any suggestions please? Thank you.
sfaok

Post by sfaok »

Works fine for me using 3.02OE-B. I think your problem is you're putting the files in the wrong folder. Try putting the 1.50 version (with 2 folders) in GAME150; that should sort out your problem.

Also, the single folder version will only work when you set the Game Folder Hombrew setting to the 1.50 kernel. To do this, restart your PSP holding the R button to go into the recovery menu and select configuration to toggle between 1.50 and 3.02.

The single folder version should go in the GAME folder. This is true for all homebrew.

This should get SCUMMVM up and running again on your PSP.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Not being a PSP user myself, what jak66 wrote up there seems quite useful to me. Maybe we should add it to README.PSP, and/or the Wiki... ?
Logan1981

Post by Logan1981 »

sfaok wrote:Works fine for me using 3.02OE-B. I think your problem is you're putting the files in the wrong folder. Try putting the 1.50 version (with 2 folders) in GAME150; that should sort out your problem.

Also, the single folder version will only work when you set the Game Folder Hombrew setting to the 1.50 kernel. To do this, restart your PSP holding the R button to go into the recovery menu and select configuration to toggle between 1.50 and 3.02.

The single folder version should go in the GAME folder. This is true for all homebrew.

This should get SCUMMVM up and running again on your PSP.
Awesome! Thanks mate ;) I managed to get it working by changing the setting to 1.50 as you said. This at least got the single file version working anyway.

Thanks again.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

fingolfin wrote:Not being a PSP user myself, what jak66 wrote up there seems quite useful to me. Maybe we should add it to README.PSP, and/or the Wiki... ?
I'm on it :wink:
jak66

Post by jak66 »

I am glad you found the guide useful.
I have updated it to include recent advances in PSP Development
How to run ScummVM on your PSP

0.0 - Guide information
1.0 - Finding out your firmware version
1.1 - The official firmwares
1.2 - The unofficial firmwares
2.0 - Installing onto memorystick
2.1 - Firmwares that currently do not run homebrew - 1.51/1.52/2.81/3.00/3.01/3.02/3.10
2.2 - Frmwares 1.00/1.50 CF - No Exploit
2.3 - Firmwares 1.50/1.50 CF - kxploit
2.4 - Firmwares 2.00/2.01/2.50/2.60/2.70/2.71/2.80 - Eloader
2.4 - Firmwares 3.03 - Hen303 - NEEDS UNPATCHED GTA:LCS - NOT WORKING
2.6 - Firmwares 2.71 SE/3.02 OE/3.03 OE

0.0 - Guide information
Last updated - 12:40 7th February 2007
Latest ScummVM version - 0.9.1
Latest Eloader - 0.995
Latest official/unofficial firmware releases - 3.10/3.10 OE
Highest official firmware that can run homebrew - 3.03
Highest official firmware that can be degraded - 3.03

1.0 - Finding out your firmware version
To get ScummVM running on your PSP, first we need to look at the PSP to find out its firmware version. To do that go to Settings then find System Settings then go to System Information.
Now you will get 3 lines;
MAC Address: (Your PSPs specific MAC address)
System Software: (Your PSPs firmware version)
Nickname: (The nickname you put onto psp)
In total, there are 22 different firmware versions

1.1 - The official firmwares
There are 17 different official firmware versions, which are;

1.2 - The unofficial firmwares
There are 5 different unofficial firmwares, which are;
1.50 CF (Custom Firmware, Shows as 1.50)
2.71 SE (Special Edition) (5 different versions; A, B, B', B" and C)
3.02 OE (Open Edition) (2 different versions; A and B)
3.03 OE (Open Edition) (3 different versions; A, A', B and C)
3.10 OE (Open Edition) (2 different versions; A and A')

2.0 - Installing onto memorystick
Now that you know your firmware version we can begin with the installation instructions which are different for the firmwares, depending on the exploit they are using. X:/ is the drive given to your PSP by windows (i.e. G:/). XMB stands for Cross Media Bar, which is the menu you get on your PSP (also on PS3).

2.1 - Firmwares that currently do not run homebrew - 1.51/1.52/2.81/3.00/3.01/3.02/3.10
Currently there is no exploit that allows you to run unsigned eboots on these firmwares. 1.51, 1.52, 2.81, 3.00, 3.01 and 3.02 can upgrade to a higher firmware that runs homebrew.

2.2 - Frmwares 1.00/1.50 CF - No Exploit
Firmware 1.00 needed no exploit to run homebrew as there was no security against the system from running unsigned eboot.pbp's. Firmware 1.50 CF patched a PSP running a regular firmware 1.50 so that it could run unsigned eboot.pbp's like firmware 1.00 (among other fetures).

To install ScummVM on one of these firmwares, copy the folder inside the single-eboot folder from the ScummVM PSP zip to X:/PSP/GAME/. Then run from the XMB.

2.3 - Firmwares 1.50/1.50 CF - kxploit
Patching the vunerability that firmware 1.00 had, firmware 1.50 was released. Shortly after, an exploit was found, 'swaploit', which involved swaping between two memory sticks which enabled the homebrew to load. Later, kxploit was released which could load homebrew from one memory stick using 2 folders (i.e. example and example%)

To install ScummVM on one of these firmwares, copy the folders inside the 1.50-eboot folder from the ScummVM PSP zip to X:/PSP/GAME/. Then run from the XMB.

2.4 - Firmwares 2.00/2.01/2.50/2.60/2.70/2.71/2.80 - Eloader
It was firmware 1.51 that blocked kxploit, but many PSP users refused to update. This caused Sony to release a major update that would tempt people to update. Thus firmware 2.00 was released which came with a built-in web browser, which caused many PSP users to update. However, one of the new features brought two new exploits (both are TIFF exploits). The first was exclusive to 2.00 and was patched with 2.01. The second wasn't discovered until after firmware 2.80 was released, a vunerability with libtiff. Team Noobz have built on these exploits to bring the homebrew community Eboot Loaders (called Eloader)

To install ScummVM on one of these firmwares, copy the folder inside the single-eboot folder from the ScummVM PSP zip to X:/PSP/GAME/. You now, also need to install Eloader, the newest version can be found at www.noobz.eu. Download the exe and follow the instructions to make sure you install successfully. Once you have Eloader installed, turn your PSP on and go to the XMB photo viewer. There should be a new folder called eloader0995. Trying to open this folder will do one of two things;
1) crash your PSP, if this should happen, restart your PSP and try again. or 2) start Eloader.
Run from Eloader menu.

2.4 - Firmwares 3.03 - Hen303 - NEEDS UNPATCHED GTA:LCS - NOT WORKING
Previously, there was an exploit in GTA:LCS (Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories), found by edisoncarter, he used it to make a cheat device for GTA:LCS. Replicating his work Team Noobz made an eloader. In firmware 2.71, Sony patched this exploit. However, looking over older exploits Team Noobz discovered that the GTA patch wasn't the greatest, and managed to get unsigned code running through GTA:LCS again.

To install ScummVM on one of these firmwares, copy the folder inside the single-eboot folder from the ScummVM PSP zip to X:/PSP/GAME/. You now, also need to install Hen303, which can be found at www.noobz.eu. Download and unzip the zip file. Open the folder MS_ROOT and copy everything inside to X:/. Now run GTA:LCS. If your PSP crashes try again. When you run the program, you'll see a coloured screen that can be one of two colors:
* Red: the files couldn't be written to the flash (it happens a few times). Just keep trying.
* Pale Blue: The files were written succesfully, and HEN is active. After that, the XMB will be rebooted.
Run from XMB.

NOTE1: The coloured screen bit will only happen once. The first time you get the blue screen will be the last time you see the red screen.
NOTE2: I have no way to test this (Without degrading my PSP twice and upgrading once) so if anyone can confirm this works please.

2.6 - Firmwares 2.71 SE/3.02 OE/3.03 OE
All of these custom firmwares were made by Dark_AleX. They combine firmware 1.50 with another firmware (as stated in their names) so PSP users can play homebrew and use higher firmware features (most recently P.O.P.S. the official PS1 emlator), without needing devhook, two PSPs or a modchip.

To install ScummVM on one of these firmwares, copy the folders inside the 1.50-eboot folder from the ScummVM PSP zip to X:/PSP/GAME150/. Then run from the XMB.
Alternatively, copy the folder inside the single-eboot folder from the ScummVM PSP zip to X:/PSP/GAME150/. Then run from the XMB.
Last edited by jak66 on Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:47 pm, edited 8 times in total.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Now, if you could instead merge your changes into the Wiki: <http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/PlayStation_Portable> -> this is based on your previous "guide", just with some language improvements etc.
jak66

Post by jak66 »

i tried that but i need a wiki account
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

fingolfin wrote:Now, if you could instead merge your changes into the Wiki: <http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/PlayStation_Portable> -> this is based on your previous "guide", just with some language improvements etc.
I'm doing it. (I replied to your talk page as well, but you might see this first)

EDIT: Done! :D
jak66

Post by jak66 »

another update to the guide, however, as i stated in the guide, I have no way to test the 3.03 exploit (Without degrading my PSP twice and upgrading once) so if anyone can confirm this works please.

EDIT: OK, after a lot more degrading/upgrading than I first thought, I tried this out myself and can report that currently this DOES NOT WORK. (Second opinion is always welcome though, if anyone could please test.)