Motorola Q - can't move cursor

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

maltovich

Motorola Q - can't move cursor

Post by maltovich »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. Thanks for all your work to support these great games.

I'm trying to run the smartphone app on my Motorola Q running Windows Mobile 5 (5.1.195 Build 14960.2.4.0). I tried running scummvm-0.9.0a-WinCERecent.zip and scummvm-0.8.1-PPC2002_2006_02_03.zip, and in both cases had the same problem. When I start the program, I see the manage games screen and a glowing cursor, but I have no control of the cursor. None of the keys seem active (though some key combos in scummvm 0.9 bring up a virtual keyboard).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks for your help

Mike
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Interesting. Is it the same device as in here AND here (post by mikkle)? Does the scummvm screen look OK (e.g. no garbled graphics)?
maltovich

Post by maltovich »

Yes, this is the same device. I tried build 0.9, got no cursor control, and no control with keyboard or numbers. The shift key seems to bring up the virtual keyboard, but eventually things seem to hang up. graphics look ok though (nothing garbled). 0.8.2 build seems to have similar problems, but no virtual keyboard.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

1) Does the virtual keyboard appear at the top or the bottom of the screen? (guessing bottom)
2) Please show me the action_mapping line of you scummvm.ini file.

PS. We're going to do this interactively, step by step :-)
maltovich

Post by maltovich »

Virtual Keyboard appears at top of screen.

No scummvm.ini file being used currently.

I have a couple of screenshots...

ImageImage
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Ah yes, a picture is worth a thousand words (Notice also how well the smartphone's red window theme binds well with our long standing sdl bug of keyboard etc. annunciators showing through. Let's hope we can fix this before 0.9.1 :-) ).

Are you sure you cannot move the cursor by pressing 4, 6, 2, 8? What key is the show virtual keyboard action bound to? (iirc there's a bug that slipped into 0.9.0 where if get the virtual keyboard up, you cannot control the cursor). If you press the return key you should get the action binding dialog which you can use to assign keys to actions. Please report again with this info.

Thanks for your patience (and phone reboots),
Kostas
maltovich

Post by maltovich »

No, The cursor does not move using the number keys. The only keys that are active are Shift, Uppercase, and 0. Each of these keys bring up the virtual keyboard. Nothing happens with the other keys.

Kostas, thank you for your patience and help with this issue.

Mike

ps - after running a couple of times, I see that I now have a scummvm.ini that's been generated.
maltovich

Post by maltovich »

Looks like I have found a way to make the cursor move. Using Shift+# I can get the cursor to move (this is called the alt key in Motorola documentation). Of course, Shift also brings up the virtual keyboard, so to get the cursor to move I have to click shift to bring up the keyboard, then click+hold shift to move with number keys. Here's what key combos do:

Shift+2 - Right
Shift+4 - Up
Shift+6 - Down
Shift+8 - Left

Still don't have a way to select to add games or remap actions at this point.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

OK, that's because: 1) Your keyboard normally emits letters instead of numbers (e.g. pressing '1' will generate a scancode of 'W'), 2) The shift key produces an "invalid scancode of 0 (or we just don't handle modifier keys that good, not sure yet).

So, in your scummvm.ini you should find the line with the action_mapping variable. It is a space-seperated string with 13 numeric values. These correspond to scancodes for these 13 actions respectively:

Code: Select all

"Up",
	"Down",
	"Left",
	"Right",
	"Left Click",
	"Right Click",
	"Save",
	"Skip",
	"Zone",
	"FT Cheat",
	"Bind Keys",
	"Keyboard",
	"Rotate"
Keep a backup of this line as it is right now (plz. post it here as well) and:
  • 1) Change the first four numbers to these: 0111 0112 0114 0113. This way we assign the cursor movement actions to the dpad. Also you should be able to left click using the Soft key A.
    2) The keyboard action (one before last number) should be zero. Change it to some other ivalid values such as 0fff. I hope this will get rid of the keyboard popping up with shift (although if you perform step 1 above and it works, you don't need to do this).
Tell me how it goes,
K.
maltovich

Post by maltovich »

contents of my current scummvm.ini:

[scummvm]
stepY1=2
stepY2=10
stepY3=20
repeatTrigger=200
repeatX=4
repeatY=4
stepX1=2
stepX2=10
stepX3=40
landscape=1
versioninfo=0.9.0

[smartphone]
action_mapping_version=4
action_mapping=0111 0112 0114 0113 011a 011b 0030 001b 0039 0000

I can confirm that soft key A works as a left click. I was able to add DOTT and start the game, which is very cool. As you can see, the key mappings I've been using match your suggested mapping, but do not work with the d-pad. Is there a tool to remap the keys within the scummvm interface? I don't see the option to do so.

If I can't get the d-pad working, do you know the values for the e, s, d, x keys, so I can map those, and can control the cursor without using the shift-modifier.

also, regarding the action mapping for the keyboard, do you suggest that I change the current value 0039 to 0fff (just confirming that I have the correct value that I'm chang)ing)?

Kostas, thanks for your patience, and your help.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

e => 0065, s => 0073, d => 0064, x => 0078

the normal line should be:

Code: Select all

action_mapping=0034 0036 0038 0032 011a 011b 0030 001b 0039 0000 000d 0000 0000
Notice there are 13 numbers there. You're missing some because that line you posted was created by 0.8.2.
I suggest you copy this line over to your scummvm.ini and edit the first four assignments accordingly. Also try changing that 000d to, say 0066 which is the 'f' key so you can bring up the keyboard assignments menu (I'm not sure if you can do that only in game).

And, don't worry you're helping us debug scummvm on landscape display smartphones which is a pending issue, so thanks for your feedback.
maltovich

Lots of progress...

Post by maltovich »

Thanks to your help, I was able to bring up the bind keys dialog and remap actions to the d-pad and center button on the q. One note, the action mapping line in the smartphone section did not seem to affect the controls. At one point after experimenting with key combos, the action mapping line was written in by the software. I was able to edit this line to get the bind keys dialog and remap keys.

Here's the contents of my current scummvm.ini:

[scummvm]
action_mapping_version=4
music_volume=10
midi_gain=20
speech_volume=10
browser_lastpath=\Storage Card\SCUMM\DOTT\
stepY1=2
stepY2=10
stepY3=20
aspect_ratio=false
repeatTrigger=200
music_driver=auto
lastselectedgame=tentacle
native_mt32=false
repeatX=4
repeatY=4
subtitles=false
action_mapping=0113 0114 0111 0112 000d 011b 0076 0070 007a 0074 0062 006b 0072
stepX1=2
stepX2=10
stepX3=40
fullscreen=false
sfx_volume=60
landscape=1
talkspeed=60
speech_mute=false
enable_gs=false
multi_midi=false
versioninfo=0.9.0
savepath=\Storage Card\SCUMM

[smartphone]
action_mapping_version=4
action_mapping=0065 0073 0064 0078 011a 011b 0030 001b 0039 0000 0066 0000 0000

[tentacle]
description=Day of the Tentacle (English/DOS/Floppy)
music_volume=15
speech_volume=15
path=\Storage Card\SCUMM\DOTT\
subtitles=false
platform=pc
gameid=tentacle
language=en
sfx_volume=15
talkspeed=57
speech_mute=false
Smush_force_redraw=30

I seem to pretty much be able to play the game at this point. I have remapped keys as follows:

Up d-pad
Down d-pad
Left d-pad
Right d-pad
Left click d-pad button
right click soft key b
save v
skip p
zone n
FT Cheat t
Bind keys b
keyboard k
Rotate r

Virtual keyboard still appears at top of screen(when engaged with k key). The game currently seems to hang when I quit (I can quit through the save game dialog, but cannot restart afterwards). Sound control doesn't seem to respond to game specific config, and doesn't seem to match the current device settings either (i.e. sound is still on and loud when I have device sound turned off in the device profile.

That's where I'm at anyway. I'll have to find some time to play the game to see what else I can find out.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Re: Lots of progress...

Post by knakos »

maltovich wrote:One note, the action mapping line in the smartphone section did not seem to affect the controls. At one point after experimenting with key combos, the action mapping line was written in by the software.
Correct, the action_mapping line was moved to the [scummvm] section of the ini, starting with version 0.9.0. I somehow missed that when reading your previous post.

It's good that you post your entire file, so other Q users can refer to it.

You can set the volume level using the in-game options menu.

Please tell me more about the hang when quitting issue you have.
maltovich

Post by maltovich »

Setting volume in the game (DOTT) section doesn't seem to affect volume coming through the speaker. Volume settings in scummvm section seem to work, but seem really loud. I can do more testing with knocking the values down to 0 to see what changes stick.

I'm not sure if the hang when quitting is a real problem or something i imagined. I know there were a couple of times where I quit scummvm through the save dialog, and couldn't start the app again unless I rebooted. It does seem to work now. Looks like there are some screen refresh issues after quitting (part of the screen doesn't come back after quitting scumm), switching to the homescreen seems to take care of it.

One other question...if I switch from scumm to another app or the homescreen, is there a way to switch back to the active session. starting the program a second time does kill the app.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

maltovich wrote:One other question...if I switch from scumm to another app or the homescreen, is there a way to switch back to the active session. starting the program a second time does kill the app.
This is more of a trial and error thing right now. Poccketscumm does not minimize properly when you've got an incoming call, or it looses focus in some other manner. So this is a bug; we hope to take care of it in next releases.