New test version - For all card readers

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kedest83

Post by kedest83 »

Can't the M3 setting be saved to a file directly instead of SRAM first?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

No. You need to know which card reader you have before you can read the card. That's the reason for the problem in the first place.
kedest83

Post by kedest83 »

But when the user presses the button to load the M3 driver, you can assume that the card is a M3. Or will there be risk of corruption if the card isn't a M3 in that case?
werpu

Post by werpu »

agentq wrote: I can well understand DragonMinded's pain with the FAT drivers. When you're writing an app like DSOrganise or ScummVM DS, you want to spend the time writing the app, not fidling with flash readers. The frustration isn't helped by endless email from people who've bought some random flash cards that don't support homebrew and expect me to magically be able to get ScummVM to work on it.
Jepp the whole situation is an entire mess, but I dont think DragonMinds argument on SC having split the market is valid. I would say M3 is mostly t blame for the entire situation, after all MediaDoc, SC and all others have released working FAT drivers only M3 refuses to do so.
All I can say is do not buy M3 until they have resolved the situation to a satisfying degree.
kedest83

Post by kedest83 »

M3 worked just fine in the beta4 release.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

But if you're going to press a button each time to boot with M3, why save the setting at all?

M3 worked in beta4, but loads of other cards didn't.
Mortys

Post by Mortys »

hi AgentQ
After playing a little bit to this version, I've often got a problem whern saving (of course I've got free space on my min SD). I don't know if it's because I try to overwrite on previous save but I got a black screen and nothing resond. After relaunching scumm, I've got a Invalind Save. Is it a knowned bug ?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Use the SRAM save option if you have problems saving:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... ve&start=0
Mortys

Post by Mortys »

Thanks a lot even this solution is'nt practical, it's better than lost my game :) . I'll try to patch with the SC patcher (for "real" rom) maybe the save will also work this way...
Mortys

Post by Mortys »

Hi AgentQ, the sram trick works but I have some question. When Scumm succed to save on SD the save are 111ko but the Sram save is only 64ko. How many saves can I have in a sram save ? and is thre a way to transfer my sd save to sram ?
tlv

Post by tlv »

agentq wrote:So since it's only the M3 which can't be detected properly, I will be implementing a button press to enable M3 detection. It will then attempt to save the setting in SRAM, so once you've booted up with the button press it should remember the setting, and you shouldn't need to hold the button on boot again unless you want to turn the M3 detection off again.
Thats a great idea. :) More or less the same that i had in mind in this post.
agentq wrote:I can well understand DragonMinded's pain with the FAT drivers. When you're writing an app like DSOrganise or ScummVM DS, you want to spend the time writing the app, not fidling with flash readers. The frustration isn't helped by endless email from people who've bought some random flash cards that don't support homebrew and expect me to magically be able to get ScummVM to work on it.
Yeah thats exactly what i feel about this. And _please_ before you get annoyed about the users behaviour so much that you think about discontinuing scummvm ds development (like dragonminded did with dsorganize) just stop supporting the cards without working fat driver sources (like the M3)... Then we M3 users will use the ZIP method again in future releases.

One nice addition for the next release would be the 100% fixed zoom solution (exactly the same functionality as the 200% one in the menu) that i talked about earlier. But only if you have the time...

Best regards,
Eric
bwmat

Post by bwmat »

I have another idea for a solution to this.
Have scumm check and arbitrary location in the program for what card it's running on. This could be set with a simple program you could distribute alog with scummvmds.

Don't knw how doable this is, but just a thought.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

yeah, I had thought of doing that but I would have to write a program which would run on a variety of OSes. Perhaps something in Java?
kedest83

Post by kedest83 »

Java would be the best solution for that, yes. The virtual machine is available for a wide variety of operating systems.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I like Java.

This seems like a good point to plug my other home project:
http://www.millstone.demon.co.uk/downlo ... /index.htm