Trouble getting SCUMMVM DS to work

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Brushguy

Trouble getting SCUMMVM DS to work

Post by Brushguy »

Hi! I'm trying to get SCUMMVM to work on my DS, but I'm having a bit of trouble. I've written to the author of this port for the DS, but I haven't received a reply yet (I don't know if I sent it to the wrong address, or I accidentally deleted it, or if he's been too bogged down with similar e-mails, or what). Anyway, in case he can't get back to me, I was wondering if you guys could help me.

I have a teal DS, an EZFA 256m Flash Cartridge for the GBA, and a DS PassCard from natrium42.com (which, thanks to an earlier e-mail from the author of SCUMMVM DS, I know will work the same as a PassMe). I followed the procedure listed on the website, making sure my ZIP file was uncompressed and the weight limit was under 30 MB. I flashed it to the cartridge, but when I started the DS with the PassCard and the flash cartridge both in their respective slots, it doesn't work.

One of two things will happen, depending on whether I flashed more than just SCUMMVM DS to the cartridge. If SCUMMVM DS is the only thing on there, once I've turned the DS on, the PassCard screen will appear and remain frozen there. If I've flashed more besides SCUMMVM DS to the cart, the PassCard screen will appear as before, but only for a few seconds before both screens go blank, as though the DS turned itself off (even though it's really still on). This latter result is the same thing that happens if I try to start SCUMMVM DS without the PassCard and just the flash cart in the GBA slot.

I've tried everything I can think of, and I'm still stumped. If I need to supply more information, just let me know, and if anybody here can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

You need to make sure the flasher software is not putting a menu on the front of the cartridge. ScummVM needs to be right at the very start.
Brushguy

Post by Brushguy »

Yes, my cartridge does put a menu on the front. I'll see if there's any way of getting around it. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Okay, I reflashed it without a menu, and made sure SCUMMVM DS was the only thing on there and the first thing to come up once the cartridge started. Now, the PassCard screen comes up as before, and, after about a second or two, what used to be white on the top-screen turns dark yellowish-brown, and the DS acts frozen. Any advice on what's still wrong?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

That should be all you need to do. Have you tried any other homebrew?
Brushguy

Post by Brushguy »

Yes, with the GBA cart alone, but this is the first time I've tried using something homebrewed for the DS.