Version 0.9.1beta3 released for testing!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tlv

Post by tlv »

agentq wrote:I don't see how having code compiled in to an executable but not run could break another piece of code.
There are three versions of the libfatdragon driver in the libfatdragon_src.zip (link above). The green release should work with most (all?) M3 adapter versions according to the FAQ of dsorganize.
agentq wrote:ScummVM compiles using DevkitPro (a cross-compiler build of gcc) which you can get from www.devkitpro.org. There's a Windows installer, it's very easy. Once you've done that all you do is ender the DS backend directory and type 'make'. I try to stay away from MS stuff as much as I can!
That's good to hear. :)

agentq wrote:Oh yeah, you also have to get the ScummVM source from SubVersion (a source control system). Instructions for that can be found on ScummVM's sourceforge page.
I am aware of SVN. ;) Thanks for the info, i will take a look at compiling scummvm ds on my machine on the next weekend.
Kaervos512

Re: Beta 2 results

Post by Kaervos512 »

zeravlam wrote:
Kaervos512 wrote:
zeravlam wrote: Did it work without the zip method?

ZRV
Yes, I can run non-talkie versions of the games listed in my first bug report on Beta2 without using the zip method. It just writes a corrupt INI file to the disk, and SCUMMVM won't fully load again unless I delete this file (othewise freezes after zip check).

I can run all the games on Beta3 only with the zip method. This seems to be the best option right now, although I would like to run some talkie versions of games that will be larger than 30 megs zipped. =(

Great work guys, keep it up!
What firmware are you using?

Thanks

ZRV
Last time I updated my M3 Lite's firmware, it was with v29's updagcsd.e29. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Kaervos512 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaervos512

Post by Kaervos512 »

Hey Agent, where can I find the SCUMMVM DS code off the main SCUMMVM subversion trunk? I don't seem to be able to find the appropriate branch. I've been programming my DS in mixed C/ASM for a while now, and have used the libfat drivers before (writing raw microphone input to disk). I'd love to help out if I can.

Regards,

-Kaer
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

agentq wrote:all you do is ender the DS backend directory
Is that intended as a pun? :lol:
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Is that intended as a pun?
No, it's just a typo, a funny one though. :-)

ScummVM source code is in the trunk here:
/scummvm/trunk/backends/platform/ds

And the most current backend is in the 0-9-0 branch where the 0.9.1 release will come from:
/scummvm/branches/branch-0-9-0/backends/ds
apoc_reg

Post by apoc_reg »

Unfortunatly when i try to open the SCUMMVMB>INI file with my card reader it corrupts it so i cant add in the force sram save line

Oh well!
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Delete the file, then create a new one with just those lines. Once it reads the ini, it won't try and save over it so it won't corrupt.
Mortys

Post by Mortys »

Hi AgentQ
First great work for ScummVM DS.
I've just try beta 3 but nothing works... I mean, I cna launch the game but the graphics are garbled (complety messed up) and the game crash when I should play (Day of th Tentacle). I can't even launch Fate of the Atlantis. What's strange is that those 2 games works perfectly with the beta 2 which is still installed on y SC lite. What did i do wrong ?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Have you used the moonshell patcher?
Shadow_Zero

Post by Shadow_Zero »

AgentQ:
Perhaps you could, or someone else, edit the first post and add the various results with this release and possible work-arounds?
Cause I can post my experiences now, but I have the idea that they are posted by other ppl already (with perhaps the possible workarounds).

In any case, I can't get Monkey Island to work with the M3 Lite.
The game crashes every times and my micro-sd card gets wiped out.
The .zip method is just zipping the gaming and adding it with ScummVM DS?

I'm gonna try beta2 and .061 now :)

EDIT:
0.61 leaves me with a black screen.

Wow, beta 2 actually works! :D
I still have the problem though that when I'm adding a game, there's no text in the lower part. How can I fix that?
Kaervos512

Post by Kaervos512 »

Shadow_Zero wrote:AgentQ:
Perhaps you could, or someone else, edit the first post and add the various results with this release and possible work-arounds?
Cause I can post my experiences now, but I have the idea that they are posted by other ppl already (with perhaps the possible workarounds).

EDIT:

I still have the problem though that when I'm adding a game, there's no text in the lower part. How can I fix that?
Shadow_Zero - If you look in the Beta2 release, you'll find several batch files. If you want to play monkey island, simply put the Monkey Island game in it's own directory in a zip file with NO compression (store mode), name the zip file scummdata-a.zip, then put it in the same directory as builddata-a.bat and the Beta3 scummvm-a.ds.gba file and then run the batch file. It will output a file named scummvm-a-withdata.ds.gba. I just changed the extension on this file from .ds.gba to .nds, and ran it from the games section of my M3 Lite (in DS mode). It ran great for me using the Beta3.

I don't know what you mean by not having text in the lower part when adding a game...
mkygod

Post by mkygod »

tlv wrote:
agentq wrote:The new M3 driver was taken from Moonshell. If it doesn't work, the solution is to give up on the M3 (by going back to the old version of the driver, which seemed to be a little better, and leave it at that).
Hmm, what a pity. :( There seems to be at least one person (mkygod) that says the new driver works better for him. More than one seem to complain though. What i don't understand is, that Moonshell works perfectly on the M3 MiniSD. The driver of DSOrganize also works very well, even when writing to the card.

Based on my experience with the Beta3, it does come closer to working on an M3 lite. None of the previous versions i've used even got to the scummvm loader screen. 0.61, beta1, and beta2, always freezes at "ZIP file check...Not in use!" message, or "flashcart not found". Beta3 is the first version that actually got passed that and did not force me to use the zip method.

I think the reason why you see mixed results with games(and different errors) is because people aren't reporting whether they are using talkie or non-talkie version. All my testing with Sam and Max and DOTT have been with talkie versions.

The zip method has always worked for me in games like MonkeyIsland 1 and 2, however, i wanted to play the talkie versions, so that I is why i tested specifically Sam&Max and DOTT using the directory copy method. Atleast in these 2 games, beta3 is closer to working than all the others on the M3 lite. Not that im saying its the best overall, but its the closest ive come to actually playing these games (talkie version).

And also FYI, I can run Moonshell and DSorganize green with no problems on my M3 lite.
Last edited by mkygod on Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Since nobody can run games with the new M3 driver, I will be reverting to the old one, unless the driver in the M3 Test Build (see the other thread) turns out to work.
Mortys

Post by Mortys »

Hi AgentQ
I've try the moonshell patrcher (if i don't the SC is not reconize) but the bugs are here after I patch. I'll try with the homebrew patcher (maybe it will change something). but i'm at work for now so i'll try tonight
Shadow_Zero

Post by Shadow_Zero »

Kaervos512 wrote:
Shadow_Zero wrote:AgentQ:

EDIT:

Shadow_Zero - If you look in the Beta2 release, you'll find several batch files. If you want to play monkey island, simply put the Monkey Island game in it's own directory in a zip file with NO compression (store mode), name the zip file scummdata-a.zip, then put it in the same directory as builddata-a.bat and the Beta3 scummvm-a.ds.gba file and then run the batch file. It will output a file named scummvm-a-withdata.ds.gba. I just changed the extension on this file from .ds.gba to .nds, and ran it from the games section of my M3 Lite (in DS mode). It ran great for me using the Beta3.

I don't know what you mean by not having text in the lower part when adding a game...
Noted the zip method, thanks! :)

And what is the "directory copy method"? Or is that just the 'normal' method, of copying the full directory of a game? (that sounds logical ;) ).

Beta2 directory copy works fine with me, but save games are lost after exiting the game. Anyone have a solution for that?

Kaervos512, do save games work fine with you with the zip method with beta3?