Version 0.9.1beta3 released for testing!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

apoc_reg

Post by apoc_reg »

Thanks thats great, i will also try beta 2

Heres where i got it from, not the DS version of scumm but the PC. I just downloaded onto my pc then copied the whole folder onto my m3

http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0200586/ ... nload.html
Kaervos512

Beta 2 results

Post by Kaervos512 »

I had more luck with the Beta2. It seemed to run all the games I listed previously without issue. It also actually wrote the SCUMMVM.INI file to my microSD card. Problem is, the file it writes is usually corrupt. =(
zeravlam

Re: Beta 2 results

Post by zeravlam »

Kaervos512 wrote:I had more luck with the Beta2. It seemed to run all the games I listed previously without issue. It also actually wrote the SCUMMVM.INI file to my microSD card. Problem is, the file it writes is usually corrupt. =(
Did it work without the zip method?

ZRV
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

He's not using the zip method, he's running talkie BASS. It seems the old driver works for a few people on M3 Lite fine. Well, at least as well as it did on the normal M3 SD.
tlv

Post by tlv »

Hi agentq,

you seem to have missed my post in all the bug reporting... ;)
tlv wrote:Is the updated M3 driver the one that is used by DSOrganize or the Moonshell? There is now a message "Flash card reader found" when starting scummvm, but then nothing happens (no menu comes up). The zip-method still functions flawlessly though.

I hoped that you could implement the fixed scale to 100% (or reset to 100% by a button combination) for the screen that follows the subtitles in this release but as i didn't find it i suppose that you didn't have the time. Is there a chance that it will be in the next release? That'd be great. :)
The new driver at least seems to recognize my M3 MiniSD to some point. But for some reason it doesn't get past that point (as i reported). Can i do something to help you (e.g. enable some magic debugging)?

Regards,
Eric
Kaervos512

Post by Kaervos512 »

zeravlam wrote:
Kaervos512 wrote:I had more luck with the Beta2. It seemed to run all the games I listed previously without issue. It also actually wrote the SCUMMVM.INI file to my microSD card. Problem is, the file it writes is usually corrupt. =(

ZRV
Yes, I can run non-talkie versions of the games listed in my first bug report on Beta2 without using the zip method. It just writes a corrupt INI file to the disk, and SCUMMVM won't fully load again unless I delete this file (othewise freezes after zip check).

I can run all the games on Beta3 only with the zip method. This seems to be the best option right now, although I would like to run some talkie versions of games that will be larger than 30 megs zipped. =(

Great work guys, keep it up!
imoroz

Post by imoroz »

At normal M3 SD: scummvm is starting, but no game working. Black screen or some debug window appears.
Version 0.6 worked much better. What happened?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

The new M3 driver was taken from Moonshell. If it doesn't work, the solution is to give up on the M3 (by going back to the old version of the driver, which seemed to be a little better, and leave it at that).

I may do the fixed scale to 100%, but it depends on what else needs fixing or working on.
tlv

Post by tlv »

agentq wrote:The new M3 driver was taken from Moonshell. If it doesn't work, the solution is to give up on the M3 (by going back to the old version of the driver, which seemed to be a little better, and leave it at that).
Hmm, what a pity. :( There seems to be at least one person (mkygod) that says the new driver works better for him. More than one seem to complain though. What i don't understand is, that Moonshell works perfectly on the M3 MiniSD. The driver of DSOrganize also works very well, even when writing to the card.
agentq wrote:I may do the fixed scale to 100%, but it depends on what else needs fixing or working on.
That'd be great. :)

Best regards,
Eric

Edit: I just realized that DSOrganize was discontinued because of driver issues. So i don't want to push you into the same stress... ;) If the developer mails me the source (it was released some days ago, but is not downloadable at the moment) and i get scummvm compiled, perhaps i can try to integrate it myself. How can i compile the scummvm ds source myself? Is there some sort of HOWTO?
Last edited by tlv on Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apoc_reg

Post by apoc_reg »

Sorry but where can i beta 2?
Only beta 3 is listed in the download section of the site?

thanks
zeravlam

Post by zeravlam »

Kaervos512 wrote:
zeravlam wrote:

ZRV
Yes, I can run non-talkie versions of the games listed in my first bug report on Beta2 without using the zip method. It just writes a corrupt INI file to the disk, and SCUMMVM won't fully load again unless I delete this file (othewise freezes after zip check).

I can run all the games on Beta3 only with the zip method. This seems to be the best option right now, although I would like to run some talkie versions of games that will be larger than 30 megs zipped. =(

Great work guys, keep it up!
What firmware are you using?

Thanks

ZRV
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Hmm, what a pity. Sad There seems to be at least one person (mkygod) that says the new driver works better for him. More than one seem to complain though. What i don't understand is, that Moonshell works perfectly on the M3 MiniSD. The driver of DSOrganize also works very well, even when writing to the card.
Yeah, it does seem to be a bit mixed. One thing that confuses me about DSOrganise is that there are several builds. I can't really see a reason for it, except that possibly the detection code for one card is screwing up a different card? I did have that problem with the MMD, but managed to solve it.

And yeah, I can understand why DragonMinded got fed up of constantly fiddling with the drivers. It's pretty thankless, but I wouldn't stop ScummVM because of it. My solution would be just to ignore those who complained about the M3 support, or just point them towards the FAQ. If you want to try fixing it please feel free. I would keep in mind the number of people that have worked on it over the last year or so though. I tend to think that if they couldn't solve it, I haven't got a chance.

Compiling ScummVM is quite easy, it's pretty much works without any depenancies except for devkitpro. There's no howto, but several others have managed it, some with a little help from me.
tlv

Post by tlv »

agentq wrote:Yeah, it does seem to be a bit mixed. One thing that confuses me about DSOrganise is that there are several builds. I can't really see a reason for it, except that possibly the detection code for one card is screwing up a different card? I did have that problem with the MMD, but managed to solve it.
The reason was that fixing the driver for one card broke it for the other. You can read about the different releases here (or if the link doesn't work, search for "dsorganize faq" on google and click the cache link).
agentq wrote:If you want to try fixing it please feel free. I would keep in mind the number of people that have worked on it over the last year or so though. I tend to think that if they couldn't solve it, I haven't got a chance.
You are right, i don't think that i could write a driver from scratch or debug into it, but i'd like to try the driver from the dsorganize "green" release that worked with my M3 MiniSD.
agentq wrote:Compiling ScummVM is quite easy, it's pretty much works without any depenancies except for devkitpro. There's no howto, but several others have managed it, some with a little help from me.
Which compiler are you using? I only have experience with gcc (2,3,4) under linux (which i use at work) but i should get it running under windows as well (perhaps using cygwin). As my last usage of Microsoft Visual C++ was more than 8 years ago, i'd like to stick to gcc if thats ok for compiling ScummVM DS.

Can you give me some good links with which i could start? I can also try the ones i find using google, but i don't know yet which are good and which are not.

Regards,
Eric

Edit: The removed files and sources (including the libfat_green source) were mirrored here. At least the fat driver seems to have been released under a somewhat open license which allows redistribution.
Last edited by tlv on Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

The reason was that fixing the driver for one card broke it for the other. You can read about the different releases here (or if the link doesn't work, search for "dsorganize faq" on google and click the cache link).
I don't see how having code compiled in to an executable but not run could break another piece of code.

Code: Select all

Which compiler are you using? I only have experience with gcc (2,3,4) under linux (which i use at work) but i should get it running under windows as well (perhaps using cygwin). As my last usage of Microsoft Visual C++ was more than 8 years ago, i'd like to stick to gcc if thats ok for compiling ScummVM DS.
Micro-who? Last time I checked, their compilers didn't work for non-MS platforms. ScummVM compiles using DevkitPro (a cross-compiler build of gcc) which you can get from www.devkitpro.org. There's a Windows installer, it's very easy. Once you've done that all you do is ender the DS backend directory and type 'make'.

I try to stay away from MS stuff as much as I can!

EDIT: Oh yeah, you also have to get the ScummVM source from SubVersion (a source control system). Instructions for that can be found on ScummVM's sourceforge page.