Maniac Mansion Deluxe

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Black Rose Immortal

Maniac Mansion Deluxe

Post by Black Rose Immortal »

Hey Guys!

I've got a question, will you ever make the fan-remake "Maniac Mansion Deluxe" compatible for ScummVM? I don't know if you know it, it has got better images, fluend transitions when you move, and a interface like in Day Of The Tentacle, but I miss the blur-effect you can make in ScummVM.

So, will you ever make it compatible?

Thank you!
Daniel
clone2727
Retired

Re: Maniac Mansion Deluxe

Post by clone2727 »

Black Rose Immortal wrote:Hey Guys!

I've got a question, will you ever make the fan-remake "Maniac Mansion Deluxe" compatible for ScummVM? I don't know if you know it, it has got better images, fluend transitions when you move, and a interface like in Day Of The Tentacle, but I miss the blur-effect you can make in ScummVM.

Thank you!
Daniel
Read the FAQ!
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

MMD is just a fanremake made with the AGS (Adventure Game Studio) engine, with which you can create your own AGS games. Since Chris Jones, the author of AGS, doesn't want to share his sourcecode of AGS to anyone, you can only play the games only on Windows and (not every game working) on Linux and MacOS. Unless Chris Jones makes some sort of AGSVM. :lol:
clem

Post by clem »

Adventureguy wrote:MMD is just a fanremake made with the AGS (Adventure Game Studio) engine, with which you can create your own AGS games. Since Chris Jones, the author of AGS, doesn't want to share his sourcecode of AGS to anyone, you can only play the games only on Windows and (not every game working) on Linux and MacOS. Unless Chris Jones makes some sort of AGSVM. :lol:
bah, that takes all the fun out of sending people to the FAQ so they have to find out for themselves :]
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

clem wrote:bah, that takes all the fun out of sending people to the FAQ so they have to find out for themselves :]
Perhaps Adventureguy haven't read our FAQ by himself, so he doesn't know what is in there :P :P

Eugene
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

sev wrote:Perhaps Adventureguy haven't read our FAQ by himself, so he doesn't know what is in there :P :P

Eugene
I DO know what's in the FAQ, but the last time I looked at it, there wasn't a functionable link to the AGS FAQ which explained why MMD can't be supported. Obviously the link works now. I didn't know it worked when I wrote my upper post.
But there's no reason to laugh at me because I read the FAQ. :x
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Well, obviously last time you looked was before the FAQ link was fixed, I guess.. :-)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Adventureguy wrote:But there's no reason to laugh at me because I read the FAQ. :x
And that was not laughing but showing a tongue aka kidding.

Eugene
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Yeah, that's right. Last time I looked was before the link was fixed. Anyway, let's drop this topic, okay?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Gee, do I smell a certain lack of humor there? *ggg*
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Sorry, but at the moment I'm feeling a bit ill. I think I've caught a cold. Normally, I've got a great sense of humour, but when I'm ill I tend to be a little short tempered. Sorry for this long thread because of me. Maybe I'll just lay in bed and play some ScummVM games on my PocketPC. That would be the best medicine. :D
Sorry again for being so grumpy.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

No worries, it's not as if it would cost us extra money to store long threads :-). And hopefully your cold gets better (or rather your health... human languages are odd *g*). After all, it's even more fun to lay in bed and play some ScummVM games when you do not feel ill!
fac

Post by fac »

Black Rose Immortal wrote:Hey Guys!

Thank you!
Daniel
After reading this topic i thought how to improve Maniac Mansion (only the images):

I know that ScummVM team is very careful with Lucasarts. If we remember, only last version of ScummVM dettects automaticly fan-translated Scumm games. And this is not oficial feature, because Readme file doesn't have anything about fan translations.
I don't know how resources are used by ScummVM, but it would be nice to have an option to "replace" the original graphics with custom ones without editing the original data files (so they had to be stored in other data file). Of course that with such option only colors colud be changed and it should only be available for games that didn't had a VGA version, or had a VGA version with some EGA sprites).

I don't know if this is illegal, because the original data files aren't changed but if you consider this illegal, please ignore my post. :D

fac
IIGS_User

Post by IIGS_User »

Black Rose Immortal wrote:I've got a question, will you ever make the fan-remake "Maniac Mansion Deluxe" compatible for ScummVM?
Advanced computer peoples may try the Mac port of the AGS Runtime engine?
Look this forum thread (in an external forum) titled with "AGS mac 2.71 beta 3 binaries available":
http://americangirlscouts.org/bbc.com/y ... ic=21531.0

The Readme tells just to drag the Game.exe onto the Runtime app, but for me, I got a err msg that comes from the game - it should run, but doesn't for me.
I need your experiences to run this AGS Runtime engine for the MacOS..

For now, I know, most of the game downloads somewhere available on the net *needs* Windows to unstuff.
fac

Post by fac »

IIGS_User wrote: The Readme tells just to drag the Game.exe onto the Runtime app, but for me, I got a err msg that comes from the game - it should run, but doesn't for me.
I need your experiences to run this AGS Runtime engine for the MacOS..

For now, I know, most of the game downloads somewhere available on the net *needs* Windows to unstuff.
If you need help, maybe you should ask it in AGS forum.