Version 0.9.1beta2 released for testing!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

agentq
ScummVM Porter

Version 0.9.1beta2 released for testing!

Post by agentq »

A new beta is available on the ScummVM website:
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/#download

* Max Media Dock Support
* Fix to Zip file reader
* Replaced SCSD driver with original version
* Readded MP3 support

The most important fix (for me) is the problem some people were having with the Zip file method. Let me know if this fixes it for you.

Still not done yet: Fixes to NinjaSD support, possibly reverting M3 driver to the older version too.
Dan Forever

Post by Dan Forever »

Woo, upon first inspection (using the old method of patching the scummvm build with the moonshell patcher) BASS appears to be working better then it did before :D
Husky

Post by Husky »

Hi AgentQ,

Directly Copy scummvm-a.nds - Finds flash card reader and Scumm menu works fine, but when start a game 2 black screens.

Directly Copy scummvm-a-withdata.nds - Find Zip File, works perfect now =)

Load & Save works fine.

Tested with: Monkey1, Monkey2 & DOTT in the same zip.

Hardware: Old NDS with Flashme7, M3 SD (e28), Kingston 512mb, Sandisk 1024mb

Software: GM 27a

Greetz,
Husky
SmaMan

Post by SmaMan »

I loaded it on to my MMD. (You said it supported it) It runs, but when I go to add game it goes to a directory called mp:/ and no folders are listed. Clicking "go up" doesn't work either (probably because it's the highest up folder) What should I do?

(By the way I'm using build B)
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Does it say 'Flash card reader found!' on the top screen?

If you don't have any folders on your card, none will be listed. If you do, something is wrong :-(
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Thanks to Datel, I now have in my hands a Max Media Dock, complete with 2Gb memory card, so I will be able to test and fix the MMD support! They've also written a driver for it.

I wish other flash card manufacturers would be so generous! (M3, G6, hint hint...)
rmaniac

SC Lite

Post by rmaniac »

I tried beta 2 with my SuperCard Lite (MicroSD) and it works much better than beta 1, which is to say.. it works. I used the moonshell patcher on the .ds.gba version after renaming it to .nds. Loading and Saving seems very happy. The startup of the program is slower than .61 which seemed almost instant. Also there are a few graphical glitches on the lower screen when the games are running (tried Tenticle and Sam & Max). Other than that all seems great. I believe the mp3 speech is a little smoother, getting close to perfect. I want to say I think this is the greatest homebrew app for the DS. Thank you so much for your hard work on it. I got a friend addicted to Adventure games as a result of it.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

How long does it take to startup? Shouldn't be more than a second or two. But since there are more flash drivers, it has to check for each flash card one after the other until it finds one. SCSD is last in the list.
tlv

Post by tlv »

Hi agentq,

first of all i want to thank you for your great nintendo ds port of scummvm. I'm using scummvm on my pc for some years now and i really appreciate your work.

I tried the beta2 release on my M3 MiniSD today and it works much better than the beta1 release. The latter only worked with zip files that contained all the files in the root directory (subdirectories didn't work). The new release also works with subdirectories.

Is there a chance that you can support the M3 MiniSD card reader in the future? Or is the lacking support by the company behind M3 keeping you from supporting it for the time being? It would be great if i could play games without the zip workaround, especially those with speech in the monster.sou (>30MB).

There are a bunch of features that would be great to see in a future release (if you could find the time implementing them):

- a fixed scale to 100% (or reset to 100% by a button combination) for the screen that follows the subtitles
- a subtitle following solution for the face to face communication screens in monkey island 1
- a "long tap" = "right click" solution and/or a "L button + tap" solution for the right click (that reverts to the previous setting after releasing the "L" button

One thing i noticed between the beta1 and beta2 releases is the worse font scaling in beta2. The scummvm menus and the text in the games seem to be better readable in beta1. Is there a chance for even better text (especially subtitles) readability (perhaps by scaling differently) than in beta1 for the future?

Many questions but "many thanks" also... :)

Best regards,
Eric
SmaMan

Post by SmaMan »

agentq wrote:Does it say 'Flash card reader found!' on the top screen?

If you don't have any folders on your card, none will be listed. If you do, something is wrong :-(
Well it doesn't say anything on the top screen. It's all white. I have many folders on my CF card.

What's this you say about Datel writing a driver for it? A driver to modify the files on the PC? I've always had to unscrew it and plug it into my digital camera to modify the files.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Yeah, the zip file problem was one a lot of people were having.

M3 MiniSD is unlikely to happen in the near future as the company making the M3 have never been very cooperative. Not much I can do about that.

The fixed scale to 100% is easily done, maybe I'll stick it in for the final 0.9.1 release.

As for better subtitle following, there are so many games and so many places that it could be a problem, that I'm not going to be able to sort it completely. With any luck the maintainers of the individual engines will work on it, but somehow I don't think they will, as it probably doesn't seem very high priority to them and there's no zoom implemented in the SDL port.

As for the button right click solution - something like it exists already. With the mouse in hover mode (d-pad up) hold the pen on the screen, and you can then press d-pad left for a left click and d-pad right for a right click.

Text readability didn't change between beta1 and beta2, I think you're mistaken there. It does vary between games though, because they use different fonts. I would like to do something about the text quality, but it's going to be a difficult task. Improving text in the frontend should be easier though.
knuckles896

Post by knuckles896 »

I am having interesting results with the new beta and the MMD. Using a 1 GB Sandisk I get the program to run but it doesn't find the card reader so I don't get to the menu. Using a 2 GB pqi card it just freezes at 2 white screens. I haven't had any problems with these cards in the past and I have no idea why I am getting such different results. I guess thats what betas are for though. :?
jelbo

Post by jelbo »

beta2 works fina again on my G6 Lite! I used the same zipfile again and it just works like in 0.6.1. Saving/loading also works. When I press Quit my DS stays on but the screens go black. The fixed 200% scaling option works like a treat, I'm really happy to see and use it, thanks a lot. :)
tlv

Post by tlv »

agentq wrote: M3 MiniSD is unlikely to happen in the near future as the company making the M3 have never been very cooperative. Not much I can do about that.
As i noticed that the moonshell and dsorganize are able to read from the MiniSD card in the M3 adaptor i hoped that you could also get it working in a future release. Don't know which access libs they are using though.
agentq wrote: The fixed scale to 100% is easily done, maybe I'll stick it in for the final 0.9.1 release.
That'd be great. :)
agentq wrote: As for the button right click solution - something like it exists already. With the mouse in hover mode (d-pad up) hold the pen on the screen, and you can then press d-pad left for a left click and d-pad right for a right click.
I'll try that. Thanks for the info. Is there some sort of documention where all the access methods are listed? I couldn't find the described method on your website.
agentq wrote: Text readability didn't change between beta1 and beta2, I think you're mistaken there. It does vary between games though, because they use different fonts. I would like to do something about the text quality, but it's going to be a difficult task. Improving text in the frontend should be easier though.
Hmm, i was sure that the menu was better readable in beta1 but perhaps i had the readability from the release .61 in mind. It would be great to have a better text scaling in the games. The graphics scaling is quite good, but sometimes it is hard to read the text. I don't care that much about the text scaling in the frontend though, as i do not use it _that_ often and know which text/position does what.

Best Regards,
Eric
caw

Post by caw »

Just wanted to say beta2 works fine on my DS Lite using Supercard Mini. Beta1 didn't work at all.

Saving and quitting works fine.

Front-end menus are becoming more readable, and I like the new subtitle speed option.

Seems to take second or two longer for "Found Flash Card Reader" to come up when booting. Obviously not a problem - and individual games seem to load and run a lot faster.

Quality work! Thanks again

p.s - thanks for implementing my zoom suggestion - I'm off to play Monkey 2!