Problems with compress_scumm_sou.exe

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Re-Z01

Problems with compress_scumm_sou.exe

Post by Re-Z01 »

Hello there!

I tried to convert DOTT to my MDA with the Tutorial by Sir Dave, but I got some problems with the compress_scumm_sou.exe

I entered the following :

Code: Select all

compress_scumm_sou monster.sou
and got this error message :

Code: Select all

Got error from encoder. (check your parameters)
Encoder Commandline: lame -t -r --bitwidth 8 -m m -s 11025 --vbr-new -b 24 --resample 11025 -q 2 -V 4 -B64 "tempfile.raw" "tempfile.mp3"
Can anyone help me, please?

I copied all necessary files to my "working directory" and I used the LAME file from the LINK in the tutorial. So what did I wrong?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Is that the only messages it printed? Because I don't see any actual error message...
molkom

Post by molkom »

I have the exact same problem... (i.e. that I don't get a .so3 file afterwards but only a 1 kb tempfile.raw, tempfile.idx and tempfile.dat file!)

Here's exactly what the screen says for me:
-------------------------------------------------
C:\ScummVM\ppcscumm>compress_scumm_sou monster.sou
Voice file found (pos = 8) : Sound Data
- length = 1620
- sample rate = 11025 (a5)
- compression = 8bits (00)
lame: unrec option --bitwidth
lame: excess arg tempfile.mp3
LAME version 3.89 MMX (alpha 4, May 30 2001 08:36:29) (http://www.mp3dev.org/)

usage: lame [options] <infile> [outfile]

<infile> and/or <outfile> can be "-", which means stdin/stdout.

Try "lame --help" for more information
or "lame --longhelp"
or "lame -?" for a complete options list

Got error from encoder. (check your parameters)
Encoder Commandline: lame -t -r --bitwidth 8 -m m -s 11025 --vbr-new -b 24 --res
ample 11025 -q 2 -V 4 -B 64 "tempfile.raw" "tempfile.mp3"

C:\ScummVM\ppcscumm>
----------------------------------------------------------

Do I have to use lame 'manually' so to speak and use some specific parameters to be able to convert? According to the tutorial, simply running the compress_scumm_sou command should convert the file to .so3, or so I thought :o
clem

Post by clem »

you might need a newer LAME version (that one is 5 years old?)

according to the official homepage, "The current release version of LAME is 3.97"

edit: doesn't explain why that lame version in the tutorial doesn't seem to work though (as pointed out in Re-Z01's post) - tutorial seems to link to 3.92 though, not 3.89 (as used by molkom)
molkom

Post by molkom »

clem wrote:tutorial seems to link to 3.92 though, not 3.89 (as used by molkom)
Hmm, I downloaded the file that the tutorial linked to - weird that it points to the 3.89 version when it says 3.92... I also downloaded the newest 3.97 version, btw, but I can't even find a Lame.exe file in that version so I don't know how to use it.
clem

Post by clem »

google comes up with http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Lame_Encoder.htm - that site seems to have a compiled version

edit: more specifically http://www.free-codecs.com/Lame_Encoder_download.htm
molkom

Post by molkom »

I think that solved it! At least I got a nice .so3 file now, just haven't tested it with a game.

Thanks a lot for the help! :)
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

These are the sort of things that make a tutorial-writer tear their hair out. The versions of Lame that intially followed v3.92 did not work with PocketScumm and so for the following few years, users were directed to a site that had v3.92. That seemed to work fine until apparently for reasons unknown, although the site that named the file was being downloaded as v3.92, the file was actually Lame v3.89. I have no idea when or why that might have occurred.

In any event, I have, for the moment, changed the tutorial to direct people to v3.97. I hope that will work for people. I'll have to go back and retest some files to make sure it works.

Can anyone above tell me if they have been using v3.97 and getting working mp3 files?