Version 0.9.1beta1 released for testing!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

agentq, could you look at Sam 'n Max cause I can't get speech to work.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Use uncompressed speech and it will work, I forgot to compile libmad in with this release.

Also, in general, don't rely on any beta release. If it doesn't work, use the previous version.
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

I think I'm using the uncompressed speech (monster.so3 is 63,4MB). I never compressed it with 0.61 and now with 0.9.1beta.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Well, someone did then. The original files are named .sou, and .so3 is MP3 compressed.
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the information :D
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

Hi!

Ok, I was super excited to see this news, and rushed to download and compile my ScummVM games again! Then to the testing! So far, everything works fine (I've tried Monkey Island 1, DOTT, Loom and Kyrandia so far), EXCEPT SAVING.

Whereas the previous version ran mostly fine (apart from a few Gobliiins and BASS bugs), and saved/restored perfectly, he new beta release not only fails to save my games, but even 'forgets' the game had been added to it, so has to be done each time it's loaded (which hopefully helps tell you what's wrong... not 'writing' to memory at all?).

I'm using the zip method and a G6 Lite (I know it says 'unsupported', but since it worked fine last time, it should in the next version once it's out of beta, right?).

Other than the saving problem, the new version is really cool, with some great new features (the 'quit = turn off' was a neat surprise!). Great to see Kyrandia in there too!

Again, my thanks for porting this, AgentQ (it's the reason I finally bought a DS and flash cart!) and keep up the great work! Hopefully all this feedback will help you fix things for the next release.

(Roll on AGI support! :P )

Cheers,
Banjo

PS Simon 2 failed to load up for me, but I'm gonna test it more first before I give notes on that, in case it was a problem with my compile!
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I have heard that with some card readers you need to copy the game to the card with their own software for it to recognise the save. Is it possible you need to do this with the G6 lite too?

One thing you could check for me is if it's possible to save and load the game in the same run without switching the DS off.
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

I have a G6Lite besides my SC CF and did test it with it:
agentq wrote:I have heard that with some card readers you need to copy the game to the card with their own software for it to recognise the save. Is it possible you need to do this with the G6 lite too?
You are right. For M3 and G6 to save to SRAM (using the ZIP-method) you have to use the 'Directly Copy' option of the software.

I just tried Monkey Island 2 and it works perfectly. The game stayed in the menu and I could load a save after turning on the DS again. I asume nothing has changed in regards of saving for the ZIP-method.
Dan Forever

Post by Dan Forever »

Just thought I'd add that I'm having the same problem as Wootz with my Supercard lite (MicroSD) as well. I've had a look at the options for the supercard software that you download along with the moonshell patcher and theres nothing to really explain what any of the options mean :/
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

Ok, I was just about to post a big long result of me testing loads of games with 'Direct Copy', and it still not keeping my save when I had one last idea and gave it a try... and it solved the problem for me!!!

It was the new 'turn off the DS when you choose 'Quit' function that was causing me the problem... for some reason, using it seems to DELETE the SRAM for that game (ie. saves and the game being in the list on startup). I've tried over and over saving, turning off the DS ('hard', via the power switch NOT with the menu's quit button) and then loading, and each time it remembers the game and saves and loads fine. But the minute I use the in-game 'Quit Button' to turn off the DS, next time I load up the game.. there's no game in the list (and of course, thus no saves).

By the way, when I say it deletes SRAM, I mean DELETES, not just 'doesn't save'... my saves that I could reload time after time, switching off and on, vanish the minute that fateful 'Quit' button gets pressed!

Anyway, my final tests were all just done with Monkey Island 1 & 2 and Loom, but it's a fair bet that this was the problem for all games' cases on a G6 Lite flash cart. MetroidPrime and other G6 users, can you confirm this? (but if you try, backup your saves to your PC first!!!)

So... any idea why it happens, AgentQ? Easy to fix, do you think? Or a bit of a mystery?

Cheers,
Banjo

PS Incidentally, it doesn't seem to matter about using 'Direct Copy'... I used to use 'doFAT' with the previous version of ScummVM DS and it worked fine, and I just tested Monkey Island 1 with it, and as long as I didn't use the 'Quit' button, it seems to work fine to.
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

Banjo wrote:MetroidPrime and other G6 users, can you confirm this? (but if you try, backup your saves to your PC first!!!)

PS Incidentally, it doesn't seem to matter about using 'Direct Copy'... I used to use 'doFAT' with the previous version of ScummVM DS and it worked fine, and I just tested Monkey Island 1 with it, and as long as I didn't use the 'Quit' button, it seems to work fine to.
When I click on quit on SC CF, the DS shuts off, but on G6 Lite it stays on two black screens.

I recommend using 'Direct Copy' for homebrew as that is what it's meant for. DoFAT is for commecial games.
Grimgoil

Post by Grimgoil »

I can confrim 100% having the same problem as banjo does, when using the quit option, which maes the DS shut down, the saves delete, and when sutting down manualy the saves stay intact.
I used with older scummvm DS versions as with this one Direct Copy with the u-disk manager.
Not a big issue since closing the DS manualy isint that much of a strain :lol:
If this can be adressed and fixed for the next month official release all the better, i'm avialable for testing with my G6 lite as much as needed.
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

Grimgoil wrote:Not a big issue since closing the DS manualy isint that much of a strain
Thanks for that, Grimgoil... glad it's not just my DS!

I agree, it's no big problem (once you know about it, anyway! LOL!). If it can't be fixed, the Quit button could simply be removed.

Incidentally, Grimgoil, with the new ScummVM DS release, my Simon 2 icon is no longer useless, eh? :D (and I made one for Kyrandia today that I'll post later on).

Cheers,
Banjo
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Hey - don't assume that deleting saves on quit happens to everyone. I tried it on my GBAMP and my FlashAdvance Pro and they both worked perfectly, so I'm not going to be removing it. I do test these things, you know, but only on the devices I have.

I do have one idea about what is causing it, so you'll have to try with beta2 (when it's done) and see if it still happens.

I'll also be moving back to the old drivers for the M3 SD and SC SD. since nobody seems to be having much luch with the new ones.
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

agentq wrote:I tried it on my GBAMP and my FlashAdvance Pro and they both worked perfectly, so I'm not going to be removing it.
Of course not, but being it's a pretty nasty problem for those it does effect (ie. not just a little graphic glitch or something), I was figuring it'd be logical to release a 'Quit disabled' version if it can't ever be fixed, or at least give a popup warning (unless of course disabling it requires loads of work for a different version!).

Incidentally, is it ONLY the G6 this happens on? Or does it happen with saves on ANY cart using the 'zip method' (rather than some kind file system, which is how I always presumed the hacked GBAMP and other carts with removable memory cards work)?
agentq wrote:I do have one idea about what is causing it, so you'll have to try with beta2 (when it's done) and see if it still happens.
I'll happily test/try anything for ya! Not just to see what works best for my own setup/card, but to help you with continued development. Anything to help ya out, mate... it's the least I can do as a thankyou for this port! (seriously, any specific G6 testing you need, just let me know!).

Cheers,
Banjo