How to transfer games to scummvm

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

WapiyaTheBrave

How to transfer games to scummvm

Post by WapiyaTheBrave »

Hi,

I am new to scummvm and want to use ist on my VPA from vodafone....at home I have some old games like toonstruck or so on on CD...How can I play them on scummVM. How to create the files like the free game "beneath..."

Thanks for your help

PS: maybe I was to stupid to find this in the forum...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: How to transfer games to scummvm

Post by eriktorbjorn »

WapiyaTheBrave wrote:I am new to scummvm and want to use ist on my VPA from vodafone....at home I have some old games like toonstruck or so on on CD...How can I play them on scummVM. How to create the files like the free game "beneath..."
I'm afraid I don't know anything about that VPA of yours, but I can tell you right away that ScummVM will not be of any help to you in playing Toonstruck. At least not at this time.

There is a common misconception that ScummVM is a DOS emulator, or at the very least a universal adventure game emulator. Actually, it's a re-implementation of a small (but slowly growing) number of very specific game engines. The game scripts controlling the game, as well as the graphics, sounds, etc. are stored in platform-independent data files that ScummVM knows how to interpret.

The obvious advantage of this is that once you have the virtual machine, a compiler that targets it, and interpreters for all platforms that you want to support, any new game written for it will automatically run on all supported platforms. Using this solution for adventure games seems to have been quite popular ever since Infocom decided to fit a large program into a small machine.

The problem is that in most cases each company developed their own game engine, with its own instruction set and its own ideas about how to handle graphics and sound. No matter how similar a game may look on the outside, if it didn't use one of the supported game engines ScummVM does not know what to do with it. Adding support for new games is a daunting task, to say the least.

For more information about which games are supported, see the compatibility Web page.
WapiyaTheBrave

Post by WapiyaTheBrave »

Ok seems that I explained it wrong.... I can play DOTT for example with ScummVM, but how can I transform it so I can play the original game on a PDA or with the windows client...

Fro "Beneath.." there is a CD ROM file...how can I create this...Do you know what I mean ?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

WapiyaTheBrave wrote:Ok seems that I explained it wrong.... I can play DOTT for example with ScummVM, but how can I transform it so I can play the original game on a PDA or with the windows client...

Fro "Beneath.." there is a CD ROM file...how can I create this...Do you know what I mean ?
I'm still a bit confused by the question... By "CD ROM file", do you mean the SKY.DSK file? That just a data file that happens to be named in a way that some mistake it for a CD image file. I assume ScummVM needs the same data files no matter which version of ScummVM you are using.

See http://www.scummvm.org/documentation.php?view=datafiles for information about which files ScummVM expects to be able to find for the different games.