Development process

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tramboi

Development process

Post by Tramboi »

Hello agentq,

I'd love to play with the ScummVM DS port to practice a bit of ARM, since I have just got myself the nifty hardware to do such a thing (M3 Lite Micro SD)
I have a few questions about compiling, running and testing ScummVM DS.

1) make does give only one .nds file. What is the relation with the two [...]-a.nds et [...]-b in the distribution?
2) Is there an emulator somewhere that runs ScummVM DS? That would help testing fast.
3) What method do you use to have a quick compile-run-test cycle? Wifi-me?
4) What are the respective responsibilities of the ARM7 and ARM9?

Great work and cheers,
Tramb
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

1) Change the makefile in backends/platform/ds/arm9 to create the two versions. There are two lines which define two variables to tell it which build to make

2) Not that I know of, although feel free to try some, but last time I did I couldn't get it to work on any of them.

3) I use a GBAMP and a CF reader. You get quite practiced at pulling it out and sticking it in the DS. That and RSI. ;-)

4) ARM7 handles streaming audio, touch screen, and little else. This is because the ARM7 has very little RAM to work with and ScummVM is designed to be compiled as single binary.
Tramboi

Post by Tramboi »

Thanks for the replies!

I checked with all current emulators, and had no chance. Sigh, would have made things so much easier :)
I tried DSFTP to upload code to the DS, it works, the throughput is quite low (around 35 kB/s), but no meddling with the mechanical parts is probably a good thing.

I noticed you use the hardware to resize the 320x200 SCUMM frame buffer to the 256*192 screen for free.
I was wondering if the DS was powerful enough for a higher quality CPU scaler(I guess a software 320*200 -> 256*200 software line scaler, then using the hardware for the 200 -> 192 reduction).

Cheers,
Tramb
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Since the hardware scaling solution only allows for a 50% blend between pixels, I don't reckon it would do a good job of scaling from 200 to 192, but a horizontal software scaler would still be good.

There definately isn't the CPU time to scale the screen in games that use a lot of CPU time, but some of the older games could possibly benefit from it. Keep in mind though, that I'm pant-wettingly close to the 4Mb memory limit in a lot of games.
Tramboi

Post by Tramboi »

agentq wrote:Since the hardware scaling solution only allows for a 50% blend between pixels, I don't reckon it would do a good job of scaling from 200 to 192, but a horizontal software scaler would still be good.
You're right but I was hoping saving a bit of CPU this way and just thrashing a few lines :)
agentq wrote:There definately isn't the CPU time to scale the screen in games that use a lot of CPU time, but some of the older games could possibly benefit from it. Keep in mind though, that I'm pant-wettingly close to the 4Mb memory limit in a lot of games.
I'll get some diapers then! It indeed does look real tight.
I heard some guys managed to leverage the additional memory of some adapters (M3, etc...), might be a good way to push the limits a bit more :)