Lost Savegames

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Metal_Spirit

Lost Savegames

Post by Metal_Spirit »

First of all, I would like to congratulate the responsable for the ds version of scumm.. Its an incredible piece of code that gets to squezze a lot out of the ds... Congrats.

Now for my problem. I have a M3 mini v2, wich is not supported (lets hope its supported on the next release via the now available fatlibs). As such, I´m using the zip method,creating .gba versions of the games.

I placed all scumm supported games in diferent folders, and with different names, but here is my problem.

Sometimes after loading one game, scumm already recognizes as available a previous game I played , wich is not really there, but on other directory and on other .gba file. When this happens and I´m forced to re-detect the game inside the zip, all savegames are lost. What can I do to prevent this?

PS: If there´s any doubts with my explanation, please tell me and i´ll explain again.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

If you replace your .nds file on the SD card, ScummVM DS is probably loading the same .sav file, because the M3 uses the name of the .nds file to know which .sav file to load.

When you change the game in the .nds file, the saves from the old game are still there, so there is no space for new saves in the .sav file. Of course, the saves don't show up in the list of saves for the new game, because the list only shows saves that apply to that game.

When you boot up ScummVM DS, you can hold both shoulder buttons. You will then get a list of the saves present, and you get the option of clearing them. Then you will have space for new saves.
Metal_Spirit

Post by Metal_Spirit »

I´m not replacing the .nds files... They all are present at once, and all have diferent names: Eg: DOTT.DS.GBA, INDY3.DS.GBA, SAMMAX.DS.GBA, etc.

Inside each .GBA file is a zip containing the game + scumm. I don´t get how running INDY3.DS.GBA can detect the presence of day of the tentacle or any other scumm game not present inside that particular .GBA file, but this sometimes happens, and it´s then that i lose savegames...

PS: I have installed the games with the .nds extention, using the game manager. I then deleted those instaled versions and replaced them with the original, non altered .gba files. Should i have kept the patched nds files, and only renamed them backy to .gba, or is this step not necessary at all??

PS2: Booting scumm with both shoulder buttons results on a console lock with a superior white screen and a lower black screen.

PS3: I was wondering about the possibility of a re-release of the current version compiled with the newer fatlibs with support for g6, m3 pro and m3mini v2
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I don´t get how running INDY3.DS.GBA can detect the presence of day of the tentacle or any other scumm game not present inside that particular .GBA file, but this sometimes happens, and it´s then that i lose savegames...
That could only be because the M3 hasn't read the save into it's GBA SRAM area, and the data is still there from the last run.

Booting scumm with both shoulder buttons results on a console lock with a superior white screen and a lower black screen.
You need to read what it says.
I was wondering about the possibility of a re-release of the current version compiled with the newer fatlibs with support for g6, m3 pro and m3mini v2
Since the fatlibs don't support directory listing yet, I haven't been able to move over to the new fatlib, but when it does I will move over.
Metal_Spirit

Post by Metal_Spirit »

agentq wrote:
---Metal Spirit---
Booting scumm with both shoulder buttons results on a console lock with a superior white screen and a lower black screen.

--agentq---
You need to read what it says.
Well.. It says nothing... Screens are one white, and one black, with no text.

Oh.. Btw.. Thank you for you time replying my questions.
Metal_Spirit

Post by Metal_Spirit »

Agentq, after your tip about the m3 keeping the gba data from the last run, i checked my card to see if I could found why that would happen.

In fact when thw the M3 fails a save, it keeps the data in the memory until it´s able to save. And that could be it, since scumm would then find the data in there, and use it.

With that in mind, I found what might be the explanation (or at least I hope so). Some of the scumm games, in .gba format, had not been installed by the m3 game manager, and just copyed to the card. That meant that the gba saves were not beeing done, and as such kept in memory, since no space had been aloccated by the manager for them. Mixing the data in memory from several scumm games would corrupt it, and when finally saved after running a propperly installed game, it would be unuseful.

So.. I installed all the missing games, and as such creating the file for the saves... I´ll give you news if this was it or not, in a couple days.