New idea on making text more redable

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

vorob

New idea on making text more redable

Post by vorob »

First of all sorry for my eng. I'm from Russian

I've all ready post my idea on my symbian forum, now here :

All we know that text is hard to read when we play in screen mode where original 320x240/320x200 resolution reduces to 208x176. Text is easy to read only when we see a part of screen when there is no resizing. But in that mode we've got another problem, we see only a half of screen and half of dialog, and always have to press 2 buttons to change the part of screen.

My new method is to scroll the screen using "soft scrolling method" here is a description:

We press and hold for example button “3” and then move the screen using joystick. So we can put the screen only on that part where subtitles are. And read it w/o any difficulties and problems with pressing buttons every second.

If there is any one who used vSun (SNES emulator) there were the same function. There were no buttons which put the screen only on left or right, but there were, a soft scrolling.

P.S. Ye my English is poor :( But I believe you understand the main idea.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Yep that is a good idea. I have thought about it, and I guess for reading text that is the best (to be able to follow the text). Actually it is very easy to implement as I already have the offsetsetting done to acheive that. And the double press has to work.

Also what I need help with is what options should be available and on which buttons, atleast default settings, and remember, they should be workable on the major list of devices, as n-gage is not a 6630. Perhaps I should remap esc or menu keys to a number and use '*' or '#' as the default trigger?!
adancau

Post by adancau »

This is just an idea to make it simpler: Could you actually place an event listener on text being displayed, read the text (x,y) coordinates and then automatically move the screen to the relevant position?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well ScummVM is rendering graphics, so there are no cursor or any kind of events to listen to, to be able to follow the text. And you might have text in many different locations so which would you then look at. Manual scrolling is the best I think.
jg

Post by jg »

But it should be possible, unless the DS porter really hacked around in ugly places to get this feature:
28/09/05 - ScumMVM DS v0.4 released!

Changes in this version:
  • The top screen now shows a zoomed in view of the action, scrolled to the character who's speaking
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well then it has to be really tied in to scummvm then, and I have to tie SDL and scummvm together. Special special special fix. Also it will depend on the game, might work with scumm games, but not others.
vorob

Post by vorob »

Also wanted to see Pause function but with out any marks that game is on pause on the center of screen, to tell you the truth I hated this when I was playing on comp, because it covers all the words :((
uKER

Post by uKER »

Isn't it even a planned feature to include some 'smart resizing' feature just like the one in the unofficial version of ScummVM?

Readability and graphical quality was AWESOME in that port.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

I think it is best to submit these two feature requests to our tracker Then they will not be lost and will get properly discussed.

Eugene
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

The scaling of the old port, just in the new one is done in the sdl backend, so not sure that putting a tracker item for SDL in ScummVM would help!? But perhaps a tracker item to have a general effciant scaler built in into scummvm and perhaps letting scummvm support strange screenmodes.