unrecoverable exception with VGA screen and 2x scaler...

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Inq

unrecoverable exception with VGA screen and 2x scaler...

Post by Inq »

Hi,

I've just upgraded to a new Fujitsu-Siemens N560 PDA which has a nice 480x640 VGA screen. I have ScummVM 0.9.0a installed, together with Beneath a Steel Sky (cd version) and Monkey Island 1 & 2. All work when I run them in portrait mode, albeit only on a small fraction of the screen. After browsing the forums, I switched all games to the 2x scaler. Now ScummVM starts up fine in landscape mode, however all games crash immediately upon starting (I don't even see any company logos) with the following message: "unrecoverable exception occured" (and you know the rest). I can post the crash dumps if required... Everything worked just perfect on my older qVGA device :((
I think many are able to play in landscape mode using their vga screens so I must be doing something wrong... only I can't figure out what!
Any tips are most appreciated!

Inq
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Strange... It would be best if you submitted a new bug in our bugtracker. Remember to include a couple of crashdumps and the description of your device.
Inq

did it...

Post by Inq »

Submitted bug id 1553313 with description and 2 crash dumps.
I may be off, but I don't really think this is ScummVM's fault... It's way too obvious for noone to have noticed it untill now...

Inq
Inq

hmmm... something's fishy...

Post by Inq »

After struggling around with all possible options I got something that vaguely resembles a solution:

1) disable any overrides for a particular game (e.g. run with whatever scummvm is configured at the moment)
2) start scummvm configured to run in 2x scaler mode
3) BEFORE starting the game: go to options and change them back to "default"
4) so now, you are basically already in landscape mode, but the game is supposed to run in normal/default (or something like that)
5) start the game

For me this actually lets me play the game quite nicely in landscape mode, however when exiting, ScummVM is still configured for normal mode, so you have to repeat the cycle, otherwise your game will simply start in portrait mode. (Start ScummVM - which will start in portrait; change options to 2x scaler; exit ScummVM; start ScummVM again and repeat procedure)

I tried leaving everything on "default", and switching the entire screen to landscape BEFORE starting ScummVM. I guess it would work, but the mouse pointer behaves completely erratic and you can't actually control any of the interface, so starting the game was impossible to test this.

[edit]
After trying this "procedure" out several times, it seems that only BASS and Monkey 2 work; Monkey 1 crashes no matter what...

Inq