M3 Lite + Passcard 3 HELP!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mkygod

Post by mkygod »

Yeah, are there any plans to support the M3 Lite? Is it really that different to code for than the regular M3 CF/SD cards?

I managed to get only Monkey island 1 & 2 to work. Since they are small size so i can zip them up, run through the batch file, then through the m3 patcher (game manager) and run them directly w/o needing to run scummvm-a.nds.

However I can't do this to any of the talkie games since they are over 100mb.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Gravity

Post by Gravity »

ok i'm an idiot because i still can't get this to work.

I did the zip method.

- Took the monkey island 2 folder, zipped it, uncompressed.

- double clicked the .bat file and it made the withdata file.

- used game manager to load the withdata file onto the micro sd card,

- loaded the passcard 3, on NDS side got to the game section, used start button to start the withdata file.

- screen says, "game loading" load bar goes all the way to the end then stops and then nothing.

Suggestions?
Gravity

Post by Gravity »

omg no idea how quirky this whole thing is... after tweaking around with a million things i got it working. WOOT! thanks for your helps guys. Hope they get this working properly with the ds lite so then I can play m'talkie games.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Have you any idea what you did? It might help others who may come accross this thread who have a similar problem.
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

Gravity wrote:ok i'm an idiot because i still can't get this to work.

I did the zip method.

- loaded the passcard 3, on NDS side got to the game section, used start button to start the withdata file.

- screen says, "game loading" load bar goes all the way to the end then stops and then nothing.

Suggestions?
If I'm not mistaken it shouldn't work when pressing START cause in fact it's a .ds.gba file renamed to .nds. Those have to be started with A. That might have been the mistake...
baka0815

Post by baka0815 »

MetroidPrime wrote:If I'm not mistaken it shouldn't work when pressing START cause in fact it's a .ds.gba file renamed to .nds. Those have to be started with A. That might have been the mistake...
That's a joke, right?
You have different buttons for starting a GBA file, than for a NDS file?
mkygod

Post by mkygod »

If I'm not mistaken it shouldn't work when pressing START cause in fact it's a .ds.gba file renamed to .nds. Those have to be started with A. That might have been the mistake...
Ya, I think you're right, that's what i did. I did it exactly the same way as Gravity EXCEPT that i pressed A instead of start.

From what I understand, you only need to press start for games that are not patched. If you press start, the M3 will try to patch it through its builtin loader.

Also after you run the the bat file to create the withdata file, you can name the file anything you want as long as it retains the .nds extenation. I renamed mind to monkey1.nds and monkey2.nds to keep it simple
Bumpty

Post by Bumpty »

I still can't get this to work properly either. Gravity, can you give us some explanation? Really want to play those talkies.

Also, I can get games going with the zip file method but every time I remove the M3 lite from its slot I lose my save game. Has anyone found a way to keep their saves even when the card is removed?
sp4m

Post by sp4m »

I got Sam and Max (talkie) working just fine on my DS lite with m3 lite.
There was nothing special at all about how I had it set up.

I tried to save my game, and then tried to load it, causing the system to hang. (I didn't load the .nds with the m3 program).

Now scummVM DS won't load. I start it with the .nds, and it displays the loading text on the top screen, but it is no longer loading the bottom screen. Ideas?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

If the configuration gets corrupted it can fail to load. Hold both shoulders when you start up ScummVM DS and you will be given the option to clear SRAM, or just remove the save game using your M3 software.
mkygod

Post by mkygod »

sp4m wrote:I got Sam and Max (talkie) working just fine on my DS lite with m3 lite.
There was nothing special at all about how I had it set up.

I tried to save my game, and then tried to load it, causing the system to hang. (I didn't load the .nds with the m3 program).

Now scummVM DS won't load. I start it with the .nds, and it displays the loading text on the top screen, but it is no longer loading the bottom screen. Ideas?
You said you didn't have to do anything special. Are you using the game directory method or the zip method. I thought M3 SD / Lite doesnt support reading directly from directories? And I thought that talkies don't work if you use the zip method. So I am very interested how you got the talkie to work on an M3 Lite
Shadow_Zero

Post by Shadow_Zero »

MetroidPrime wrote:
Gravity wrote:ok i'm an idiot because i still can't get this to work.

I did the zip method.

Suggestions?
Is this START when in the main menu and selecting the "Game" menu (which makes you go to GBA mode) or when you're actually trying to start/boot the game after going to the specific folder?
animall

Post by animall »

Sigh, just hoping for some progress with this. Anyone? I haven't tried any of the new betas since they don't appear to fix these strange issues.
Shadow_Zero

Post by Shadow_Zero »

I just used Beta2 and Monkey Island 1 and 2 seem to run perfectly.
Didn't get it to work with Beta3 and 0.61.