Saveproblems with M3 and SD card

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Yuki-Chuki

Saveproblems with M3 and SD card

Post by Yuki-Chuki »

I know, that SD cards aren't that compatible with ScummVM. neverthless, I should be able tto save. Sadly, it doesn't work.

I copy the nds-file onto my cart via M3 GM, just as it says in the manual. There's also a corresponding savefile created in the NDS savegamedirectory.

Every time I save, I receive the message that save was sucsessful, but when i restart my NDS, there are no saves to load (ScummVM also freezes, if I try to exit a game or to load a save before reseting (before reseting, the savegame is displayed in the loadmenu).

Does anyone have an idea, what could be the problem? The card works fine with normal roms and homebrew. Dunno if it's important, but it's formatet in FAT32.

Thanks, Yuki
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

I think you have to set forcesramsave=true in the .ini file cause direct saving to SD is broken.
Yuki-Chuki

Post by Yuki-Chuki »

What's the difference then? does it save in another way or to another directory? i'm not that good at such fings and don't qiuet understand...
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

If forcesramsave=true then the saves are saved in the M3's SRAM and stored on your Flashcart on the next boot up, just like with commercial roms.
If forcesramsave=false then ScummVM tries to directly save to Flashcart, which as far as I know is broken on SD devices (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

What you can do is set forcesramsave=true and copying your Scumm file with the Game Manager using Dierct copy.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Saving directly to SD card works on some combinations of SD card and reader, but many have problems or don't work at all.
Yuki-Chuki

Post by Yuki-Chuki »

Arrh, the config.ini isn't saved either, so i can't change the file :/
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Just create one and save it there.

And it's called scummvm.ini.
Yuki-Chuki

Post by Yuki-Chuki »

Is it in the same folder as the scumm-file? And could you copy the whole configtext into this forum, so I know, what's written in there`

Thanks alot, Yuki
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

It's in the root of your card, scummvm.ini, or scummvmb.ini if you're using build B

Code: Select all

[ds]
forcesramsave=true
Yuki-Chuki

Post by Yuki-Chuki »

Hum, works more or less.. I just have to quit via turning the DS out instead of using the "quit" function.

Thanks

is there a way to save the registered games in the ini, so I don't have to register them every time?
Yuki-Chuki

Post by Yuki-Chuki »

MetroidPrime wrote:If forcesramsave=true then the saves are saved in the M3's SRAM and stored on your Flashcart on the next boot up, just like with commercial roms.
Btw, does this mean, that i can't save my games anymore as soon as the M3s battery runs out or is there a way out of this? :cry:
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

Ifyour battery runs dead (aren't they rechargable?) you can quickly turn off and turn on your DS to save (quick power cycle).
Yuki-Chuki

Post by Yuki-Chuki »

MetroidPrime wrote:Ifyour battery runs dead (aren't they rechargable?) you can quickly turn off and turn on your DS to save (quick power cycle).
Is this just an idea or does it realy work? At least, the LEDs don't glow anymore, even if I'm as fast as possibel..ok, I know that this doesn't necessarely have to mean anything.
But I can't come up with an idea to test it, 'cause (luckyly), the battery hasn't run out yet.
Maybe you could also open the M3 and replace it *wonder*
..only ordinary screws
Sorry for my bad English, I'm from Switzerland~
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

It's not an idea, it works nearly with every device like Supercard too (which doesn't have a battery at all).
The battery should be exchangeable...
baka0815

Post by baka0815 »

Yuki-Chuki wrote:is there a way to save the registered games in the ini, so I don't have to register them every time?
This is also something which is of interest to me too. Does anybody know this?

[edit]
Just figured it out myself ;)

Edit the scummvm.ini or scummvmb.ini on the SD card and add something like this:

Code: Select all

[queen]
description=Flight of the Amazon Queen
path=
gameid=queen
This example is, as you can see, for "Flight of the Amazon Queen". The path can be empty if the game is in the root of the SD card. I don't now how to add games in folders though.