Will we ever see this on a G6 Lite?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

polishbikeride

Will we ever see this on a G6 Lite?

Post by polishbikeride »

I've been trying to use ScummVM DS with my G6 Lite Flashcard but nothing works.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

If it's not possible yet, we really need to see this working with the G6 Lite. This program is too cool to be left out.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

As the device is unsupported, you will need to use the Zip file method (see the website). This should work.
polishbikeride

Post by polishbikeride »

I tried that...what I did was open the GBA cart, then after it gave me the black screen and froze, I restarted my DS, and ran ScummVM DS. Then, finally, it worked and loaded up the game I had on (indy and the fate of atlantis), but then it kept freezing. Oh well.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

You 'opened up the gba cart'? Do you mean selecting 'Start GBA game' from the DS startup menu? Because that won't do anything to help.

Where did it freeze?
polishbikeride

Post by polishbikeride »

When I open up my G6 Lite, I have a choice to play DS carts (where ScummVM is) or go to the GBA section (where the compiled scummvm-a-withdata.ds.gba file is).

If I go to ScummVM (the ds rom) directly, it says:

"ZIP file check. . .Not in use!
Flash card reader not found!"

But, if I go to GBA mode and run scummvm-a-withdata.ds.gba first, then restart the DS (since running scummvm-a-withdata.ds.gba will crash it), THEN open ScummVM (the ds rom), it says:

"ZIP file check. . .Ok!
Creating configuration file: scummvm.ini"

From that point I can load any number of games with the touch screen, even though the games crash at weird points, such as the first fight scene in Indy Jones and the Fate of Atlatis. Plus it acts strangely, such as randomly giving me error codes.

I just thought all of this was odd. I'm not sure how the Passcard3 works, or the G6 Lite for the most part so I don't know why you have to open the GBA rom, then restart the DS and then open the DS rom.
polishbikeride

Post by polishbikeride »

agentq wrote:You 'opened up the gba cart'? Do you mean selecting 'Start GBA game' from the DS startup menu? Because that won't do anything to help.

Where did it freeze?
Oh specifically, it freezes after I open the GBA rom, and at random times after I've gotten the DS rom to work (usually after the sound starts stuttering). With the GBA rom, the freeze is just two black screens, and with the DS rom, the freeze brings me back to the command prompt (where I can then enter commands, don't know what I'd enter though) or it just gives me error codes.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Interesting... it seems that loading the .gba version leaves some amount of stuff in gba rom space after a reboot.

After contacting someone else who has got it working on the G6 Lite, it seems you need to rename your .ds.gba file to .nds before it will run on this device.

Try that and let me know if it solves your problem.
Lemming

Post by Lemming »

Hi there.
I have the same problem as polishbikeride.
I buyed a G6lite with a Passcard 3 ,and now its not possible to run any Scumm Game(Maniac Mansion,Monkey Island 1 or 2,Indiana Jones 3,Zak Mc Kracken ect.) :cry:
I tried all steps as decribed on http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/,"How to Get ScummVM DS Onto Your DS - With a GBA Flash Cart or an unsupported card reader device",but it wont work.
I tried also to change the name of the scummvm-a-withdata.ds.gba file in ...nds or gba,put it in the DS and GBA folder,but i only see a black screen when its loaded(Gba folder) or it says:zip file check...not in use and Flash Card Reader not found!(Nds folder)
It would be very nice if somebody can write a step by step instruction how Scummvm ds works on the Nintendo DS with the G6 lite Card + Passcard 3 :idea:
IkariDC

Post by IkariDC »

I've been successfully trying ScummVM on my G6lite + Passcard 3 combo. To properly run ScummVM on the NDS just follow the steps in the "How to Get ScummVM DS Onto Your DS - With a GBA Flash Cart or an unsupported card reader device" guide, until it says that you have to burn either build into the flashcart.

What you have to do is copy those builds into the cart using the explorer, not the G6 U-DISK Manager. Just copy them into the root or in a folder. Boot up the cart, and while on NDS mode (G6 Manager), choose MyCard from the menu that appears while pressing Start. Locate the file you have previosly placed in the cart and run it.

I've got some problems with ScummVM, but since I don't know if it's because of the hardware I'm using (G6lite), I'll aks about it here.

I've got an A type and B type builds, each one with all of the supported games on the current version of SummVM for NDS. When I run them and I add games to the list with the "Add Game..." option, there are only 4 games out of the 9 supported games on the A type build (I'm not counting Passport to Adventure), and 3 out of 5 games on the B type build. Here are the list of the games I stored in the zip file of each build.

A build

Games available in the list:
- Day of the Tentacle (VGA-Floppy)
- Indiana Jones 3 (FMTOWNS)
- Indiana Jones 4 (VGA-Floppy)
- Loom (FMTOWNS)

Games missing in the list:
- Maniac Mansion (Enhanced)
- Monkey Island 1 (VGA-CD)
- Monkey Island 2 (VGA)
- Sam & Max (VGA-Floppy)
- Zak McKracken (FMTOWNS)

They are stored in this order in the zip file, and the games that appear in the "Add Game..." list are in this very same order.

B build

Games available in the list:
- Beneath a Steel Sky (Floppy)
- Simon the Sorcerer 1 (Floppy)
- Simon the Sorcerer 2 (Floppy)

Games missing in the list:
- Flight of the Amazon Queen (Floppy)
- Gobliiins 1 (VGA-Floppy)

The games that are available in the list are in the same order that they appear stored in the zip file, only that in this case they happen to be the ones in the bottom.

Why don't they show up all of them in the list?

Another thing that I don't know if it's working properly is that, once you load up a game, and then you pick up "Quit" from the menu, both screens get a black colored background, and you have to switch off the NDS. I was hoping it would return to the game selecting screen so I could load up another game. The "Quit" option from the game selecting screen appears to do nothing.

Edit: Ok, I've been reading the other large thread so now I know why some of the games aren't showing. Sorry for asking about it whithout reading the other threads.

I still want to know about the other thing, though.
Lemming

Post by Lemming »

I tried your methop as descriped with Indy 3 and Loom,but it still doesnt work.It still says Flash Card not found ect.
I use Scumm version 0.61 and 0.60 but i had no success.I tried to named the rom in nds or let it how it was(gba.ds),boot it as u said but still the same as always!
Am i right that its only needed to put the scummvm-a-withdata.ds.gba into the card with the explorer or is scumm-a.nds nececcary too?
Rom size Loom after builddata-a is 1434 and Indy 1276 kb. Isnt that to small?!Maybe the build of the zip file doesnt work?!
Slowly i give up :cry:
IkariDC

Post by IkariDC »

Ok, let me see. I'm also using the 0.61 version. Maybe you're doing something wrong while zipping the files? You can place those 2 games together in the same zip, so both are available in the same build.

Just choose the folders of those two games, add them to an archive with Winrar, choose ZIP as archive format and Store as compression method, and there you go. The scummvm-a-withdata.ds.gba I obtained with the floppy version of Indy 3 and Loom is about 5,22MB. You have to copy only this file to the cart...

Ok, I've loaded this build and it's not running! Its says "ZIP file check...Not in use!". Maybe the size is too small? The other build I've got are around 30MB and they work like a charm. Just make a build with more games!
dunni

Post by dunni »

I've got a G6 Lite and Passcard 3 and have managed to get a couple of games working with SCUMMVM DS.

I used the "With a GBA Flash Cart or an unsupported card reader device" method, then as someone above mentioned renamed the extension of the created "scummvm-a-withdata.ds.gba" file to nds instead of GBA. So I just called it "SCUMMVM.nds". Then I just wrote this file to the G6 using the DS bit of the U-DISK manager.

The main problem is the 30Mb limit as mentioned in the SCUMMVM DS instructions. It doesn't work if your zip file is bigger than that. This means only a few games can work with sound. I have both Monkey Island 2, and Indy and The Last Crusade working with sound. I have both those games in the one zip file too. Monkey Island 1 works but without sound, apparently to get the sound to work you have to rip it from the CD, but that then makes it bigger than 30Mb.

Some other points about creating the zip file:

1)Make sure you set the compression to "None"
2)I had a problem when I created the zip file with my usual favoute program (IZArc), and it only worked when I used Winzip instead, so if you use a different program and are having problems try using Winzip.
3)Write your games to the zip file in subfolders, don't just stick them directly into the zip. So for example, but all your Monkey Island 2 files in a directory called "Monkey2" and then put that folder in the zip file.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

IkariDC, there's not a minimum size of the zip file. I'm not sure why your smaller build isn't working, but I have run games of just a few hundred Kb and they work fine.

The quit option not working is a limitation of ScummVM. You can't quit and return to the menu in any version of ScummVM on any platform, as far as I know. It seems there are still a few memory leaks to be worked out before this will work.

Lemming, it sounds like you're not naming your zip file correctly and it is not being tagged onto the end of your data file.
MetroidPrime

Post by MetroidPrime »

I use a G6Lite for ScummVM DS (I love it :) ) and most games work (though obviously not the talkie versions).

For all having problems: Use the "How to Get ScummVM DS Onto Your DS - With a GBA Flash Cart or an unsupported card reader device" guide and rename your file to .nds. Run that through the U-Disk Manager using Directly copy so a save file will be created, where the configuration and saves are stored. If you don't do this, you cannot save in a game.

I could get the following games to work: Monkey 1 & 2, Indy 3 & 4, DOTT, Simon 1, BASS.

@agentq, seeing now that the G6 FATlib code was released, is there any chance that you add G6 support so that we can play the talkie versions on G6?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

If fatlib supports G6 Lite, then you will see support for it as soon as fatlib supports the necessary directory listing support (which is apparently nearly done), and I've changed over the code to use fatlib.