A Couple Of Games?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Iago

A Couple Of Games?

Post by Iago »

Hey,

Brand new to the forums but I have been a long time follower and avid user of ScummVM. I just want to say to all the developers that they are truly awesome people and I thank them hugely.

I know that people can be a bit annoyed by people requesting games, but I did a search and couldn't find any threads about a few games. I guess any point-and-click adventure is "eligible" for ScummVM.

Myst/Riven/The Journeyman Project 3/ Riven: I'm a complete newbie but I guess it would be difficult to do because of relatively complex graphics etc... but is it even the slightest bit feasible that these games could be supported.

The Last Express: Surprised not to find any threads on this one. I've founr it a bit difficult to run on occasions and it would be awesome to be able to play this in ScummVM. Definitely a brilliant game.

The Adventures Of Willy Beamish: I have no idea what the engine for this is, but it is definitley a golden oldie.

So, are these completely out of the question that they are impossible to develop for ScummVM or the legal situation makes it so?

I hope I don't annoy people but I was just too curious not to ask. Also, I had a thought about Virtual Springfield. It is point-and-click but not technically an adventure but it's a decent game and can't be run very easily (at least not by myself)

Thanks

Iago
clone2727
Retired

Re: A Couple Of Games?

Post by clone2727 »

Iago wrote:Myst/Riven/The Journeyman Project 3/ Riven: I'm a complete newbie but I guess it would be difficult to do because of relatively complex graphics etc... but is it even the slightest bit feasible that these games could be supported.

The Last Express: Surprised not to find any threads on this one. I've founr it a bit difficult to run on occasions and it would be awesome to be able to play this in ScummVM. Definitely a brilliant game.
I also love Myst/Riven/J3, but they are not 2D point n' click adventure games.

However, I do also have The Last Express, and it is pretty good.
Iago

Post by Iago »

Oh, didn't realise 3D games aren't allowed in ScummVM. That rules out Myst, Riven and J3 then.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Iago wrote:Oh, didn't realise 3D games aren't allowed in ScummVM. That rules out Myst, Riven and J3 then.
I thought Myst - the original version, at least - and Riven used pre-rendered graphics, so I'd consider them 2D games. Different from what ScummVM supports so far, but I don't know if an engine for them would actually be rejected if someone offered to contribute one.

But, as has been explained several times in the past, adding support to a new game or family of games is a pretty large undertaking. Seems like the people behind the Fissure project found that out, because there hasn't been any visible activity in the two years since it was registered...
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Iago wrote:Oh, didn't realise 3D games aren't allowed in ScummVM. That rules out Myst, Riven and J3 then.
I thought Myst - the original version, at least - and Riven used pre-rendered graphics, so I'd consider them 2D games. Different from what ScummVM supports so far, but I don't know if an engine for them would actually be rejected if someone offered to contribute one.
Actually, yes. Myst and Riven are pre-rendered. Exile, Revelation, and End of Ages are not. With the Journeyman Project series, all but J3 are pre-rendered.
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

although i think the adventures of willy beamish would be and awsome addition to scummVM, im not sure what engine it uses. Possibly SCI but im not sure as it really doesnt work like most of the sierra 'quest' games
Iago

Post by Iago »

It's actually pretty simple to get The Adventures Of Willy Beamish working in DosBOX. Haven't been able to get it working on my Mac though.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Willy Beamish is more probably based on DGDS, since it's a Dynamix game.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Searching through the Presto Studios archive, I found this guy who started Reverse Engineering on Pegasus Prime using SDL. The game is the remake of the Journeyman Project. Anyway, the game is 3D, but is pre-rendered.

So far it can display the intro movies and work the main menu.

I spoke to him already. He might be willing to add it to ScummVM. Do I have approval to ask him?