PS2: ScummVM 0.8.0 RC3

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PlayStation 2 port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

PS2: ScummVM 0.8.0 RC3

Post by lavosspawn »

ScummVM PlayStation 2 Port:

I think I fixed the majority of the bugs now and in general it should work fine. =)

edit: link removed, this is outdated since the release of 0.8.1

Please post all kinds of reports and feedback as a reply to this thread.
READ_PS2.TXT wrote: ScummVM-PS2 0.8.0 Release Candidate 3 Readme
============================================

You need a PlayStation 2 with a modchip of your choice in order to run ScummVM.

ScummVM expects the game data either on CD-R/DVD-R or on the Harddisk.
It tries to mount the partition hdd0:+ScummVM on startup and basically treats
it in the same way as the DVD drive.
Creating the partition and putting the datafiles there is up to you.

In order to use a USB Mouse and USB Keyboard, you need Sony's USB driver,
the USBD.IRX. As it is Sony property, we can not offer it for download.
Later versions of the USBD apparently are incompatible. It should work if
the file is smaller than ~30 KB.
I am using the USBD from the Demo Disc that was shipped with my PS2.
You can also use ScummVM without the USB driver but you can only use the
Gamepad in that case.

Creating a CD-R using CD-Tool
=============================
Copy any games you want on the CD over into the directory where you extracted
the ZIP file. Don't copy any files directly into the directory of the
ScummVM.ELF, those files are ignored. Instead, have each game in its own
directory.
File- and directorynames should be DOS 8+3, if they aren't, they'll get
renamed.

If you run windows, just double click the make_iso.bat.
Wait while it creates the ISO image and burn it with Nero
or any other CD writing software.

For Linux or Mac OS X binaries check http://www.nobis-crew.org/cd-tool/

Unfortunately, writing DVD images with cd-tool is currently broken.
This problem will probably be fixed in the nearer future.

Notes
=====
  • The Curse of Monkey Island only works correctly from HDD.
    Playing it from CD/DVD will initially seem to work, but you will
    experience random crashes.
  • Compressed SAN files need a lot of CPU power, probably because of zlib,
    and are constantly out of sync. Uncompressed SANs play fine though, so
    compress_san is NOT recommended.
  • The cd/dvd drive is a bottleneck, that's why you should compress the games
    with MP3 or Ogg/Vorbis using compress_scumm_sou / compress_scumm_bun /
    compress_sword1 / compress_sword2 etc, but NOT compress_san.
  • I haven't had time to implement a virtual keyboard. If you don't have a USB
    keyboard, you can only enter '1's using the Select button.
    (for copy protection screens as well as savegame names)
  • When you see '1's and '0's flying across your screen, it means ScummVM is
    accessing the Memory Card. Don't switch off or reset the console in that
    case, and don't remove the Memory Card either :P
  • FLAC isn't supported
GamePad
=======
Start Button - F5
Select Button - Figure 1
L1 - 'n'
R1 - 'y'
L2 - Numpad 0
Triangle - Escape
Square - Enter
Cross - Left mouse button
Circle - Right mouse button
Left analog stick - Mouse. Disabled when USB mouse is detected.

Changes since 0.8.0 RC2
=======================
  • HDD support was added
Last edited by lavosspawn on Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Works great for me. :D
Nice job.
mac_es

Post by mac_es »

Hello,

It looks good, may I ask why zlib is not supported? Only asking, I'm not saying to implement it,eh! :P

Also it is a pitty the COMI issue, could not be possible to disable iMuse digital?

Finally, could you post how can we compile it (for PS2) from the source code? What we have to download, from where... I would like to compile it for myself :)

PS: scummvm.ini parameters where are introduced? like language, target_md5....?

Cheers
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

Zlib will be supported sometime later. I've had some problems with it and I didn't think zlib is that important, so I focused on other things first.

ComI is indeed a pity, but iMuse digital would need some massive changes to fix it.

The scummvm.ini is stored on the memory card, mc0:/ScummVM/scummvm.ini.
But there's no way to edit it manually. If you wanted to, you'd probably need to use some tool like the AR Max Evo.

I'll publish some info on compiling later on, mainly you need the toolchain and sdk from ps2dev.org and mad, ogg and libmpeg2.
Carnivol

Post by Carnivol »

The scummvm.ini is stored on the memory card, mc0:/ScummVM/scummvm.ini.
But there's no way to edit it manually.
If you have a BBA for your PS2, you can run up a FTP server on the PS2 and access the memory card through FTP on a local network.

[edit]
By the way, wanna congratulate you on a fine port ^^
mac_es

Post by mac_es »

Thanks for responding,

First, I'm a windows user and I haven't compiled anything for PS2. Although I have alot of experience in JAVA. I mean, I know what a compiler is, libraries, packaging, etc... but no idea what is a chaintool (as I have read is the compiler plus some libraries, no?)

So, I would need something like this: download this, extract, configure this like this. Add this libraries and do something like './configure, ./make' but for windows (the chaintool comes whith gnu make?)

Zlib, is 'quite important' if you plan to add several games into a DVD.
COMI is a really a PITY, It would be lovely to be able to play it, :cry:
And for the scummvm.ini I would like to be able to edit it, I have some third party translations, and own ones, that I would like to play. But this is not so important because when I will be able to compile it I will add that MD5s to the MD5 table and the problem is solved.

Finally, in the system file that you provide is marked as NTSC. It could cause problems whith people that tries it in PAL mode and had a mix cable for TV output.

Cheers
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

Yes, I also use windows mainly. I'm running a debian system in VMware on windows for compiling the PS2 stuff. I tried to get it to work using Cygwin, but I didn't really get anywhere like that.

The ps2 toolchain is quite easy to build on linux using the scripts from www.oopo.net .

And the NTSC field in the SYSTEM.CNF file shouldn't be used by anything. ScummVM autodetects if the console is Pal or Ntsc.

Why do you need zlib to fit lots of games on a dvd? Even without it, you should hardly need more than 2 DVDs to store all the games that ScummVM support. And besides, zlib isn't used for anything but SAN compression.

The BBA method that Carnivol described is probably the easiest way to edit the scummvm.ini.
And, tbh, it's probably easier than compiling ScummVM, too.
mac_es

Post by mac_es »

Hello,

Yeah!, I haven't been able to use tthe toolchain, I have been looking in ps2dev. I would be great if someone archieves to compile for PS2 under windows post the instructions. I will look in www.ooopo.net, thanks

I'm doing a multigame DVD, scummvm+Monkey4 for PS2, so I need to compress SAN files.

I come into the NTSC field, when I used other tools to create a DVD. I haven't got any problems and I use a PAL console.

The BBA method requires to connect the PC and the console, it should be possible form scummv to look for the .ini file in cdfs://scummvm.ini and if this fails in mc0:/ScummVM/scummvm.ini. I mean, if there is an scummvm.ini in the disc, no way of modifying it but it will use it. In the unofficial port this was made in this way, so the code should be there.

Thanks
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

Yes, I'm using a PAL console, too. It works fine.

I still don't see the zlib problem. With mp3 compression you can easily make BS1, BS2, ComI, FT and The Dig all fit on one DVD and those are the largest games we support.
Also, zlib compression probably takes a good amount of CPU power, so I don't expect compressed sequences to run too well.
And, as mentioned above, ComI is unsupported.

Anyways, I've built a binary with zlib support and will look into the .ini thing later. I'll post it here after some testing.
mac_es

Post by mac_es »

I still don't see the zlib problem. With mp3 compression you can easily make BS1, BS2, ComI, FT and The Dig all fit on one DVD and those are the largest games we support.
Well I was lookinf for a DVD containing: all the scummvm games I have PLUS Monkey Island 4 PS2 Edition which size is 1,60 GB. So I come whith space problems. When you run this DVD, first comes up a menu whith SCUMMVM option and EMI option. If you select SCUMMVM option it runs scummvm, but if you select EMI it starts the official PS2 version of the game.
Also, zlib compression probably takes a good amount of CPU power, so I don't expect compressed sequences to run too well.
Maybe, or maybe not... Let's hope that PS2 two can handle this quite well...
And, as mentioned above, ComI is unsupported.
It is a pity! Don't misundertand me, it would be lovely to play it. But if the iMuse needs more working is okay, it is not playable and it is not playabale. Nothing wrong whith it.
Anyways, I've built a binary with zlib support and will look into the .ini thing later. I'll post it here after some testing.
Thank you very much and thanks for the port
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well.. is n't the zip support only used to compress save games etc? So actually where it would save memory is on the memorycard, and I guess that space could be limited on that. But currently I dont think ScummVM supports additional compression of game data (i.e not sound and movies)
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

Savegames get compressed with UCL on the PS2.
it's a lightweight library and still offers a nice compression ratio. I don't think there's much of a difference between those two.

@mac_es:
The sequences in Dig and FT run fine on the PS2. There are two places in the ComI intro (which is 640x480 instead of 320x200) where playback hangs for like 1/10th of a second... so it's not that noticable, but obviously it pushes the PS2 to its limits there. So, well, it may work for FT and Dig...
mac_es

Post by mac_es »

The sequences in Dig and FT run fine on the PS2. There are two places in the ComI intro (which is 640x480 instead of 320x200) where playback hangs for like 1/10th of a second... so it's not that noticable, but obviously it pushes the PS2 to its limits there. So, well, it may work for FT and Dig...
Thank you very much :D :D :D :D :D :D

As I understand, COMI runs but it crashes because the music, no? Any idea why? CPU power, PS2 audio system is not sufficient....

FYI, one thing I have noticed, is that whithout a virtual keymap. You can't fight in Indy3

Thanks agai for this marvelous work
kaysow

Post by kaysow »

waitaminnit, so i can do dvd's now? i have three discs with the games i've burned with the emulator now, but i'd much rather have it all on the same one.

anyways, i just downloaded it yesterday. been waiting eagerly ever since the first announcement back in may, ya know.
i went through all of Full Throttle. it worked pretty well (better than i expected for a first release), though i have some complaints.

no bugs, crashes or anything. but the loading is very awkward in this one, which i guess you already knew. it's a heavy game, and the ps2 is actually quite shit, so what do you expect. it kinda breaks the tension in some of the heavier movies though. and it cuts into some sequences too late, like it skips the first second of it. most of the time when it's short clips of explosions and stuff.
but i guess this might be well outta your hands. this is a ps2/software flaw, not the emulation.
though the one thing you should be able to fix is the ending. at the funeral, it's supposed to scroll up to Ben real slowly, which it certainly doesn't do as of now.

oh, and i have the newest version of Full Throttle. my -95 version went missing ages ago, so i bought the recent one fit to play on newer system.

didn't notice much of an iMuse-problem, by the by.

and then i started on Sam & Max. i just finished with frog rock, and it's worked like a charm all the way up here.

now i'm just wondering about compression. my games are scattered about a bit, so i don't really enjoy going through them all to refit scummvm with gamefiles. what i wonder is this; if i do compress all the audio and stuff to make stuff fit, it should play on the newest version (0.8), right? i mean, almost everywhere it says that i shouldn't use these tools unless my version of scumm supports the medium. i always use the latest stable build, and that one should support it, right?

alright, thanks for a jorb well done guys. this emulator really exceeded my expectations for a "beta" or whatchamacallit. just lose the annoying dna-string of ones and zeroes when loading, as it appears too often, and takes up way too much of the screen. why not just a rolling disc or something? or a beeping rec-button, like in fahrenheit? i'm sure you'll do fine though. can't wait for Monkey Island 3 to start working.
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

@mac_es: Yes, it crashes randomly. It's kinda playable but sooner or later it'll crash with some error massage.
I don't think it's cpu or audio related. I think that it's because of the loading times with the cd drive. The iMuse digital implementation is *VERY* picky about timing.

@kaysow:
I have no idea what mac_es did to make his DVD iso. Basically, ScummVM doesn't really care about if it's run from cd or dvd. You just need the right tool on the PC side to create the iso image. (and cd-tool definately doesn't work for DVDs in its current state)

There's not much I can do about loading times and slowdowns. Did you use mp3 compression? It really helps for games like The Dig and FT.

When I made that DNA string, I didn't really think about writing savegames in the background... It was actually made for those situation when the game stops in order to let you save. I'll make up something new.