Recording from ScummVM

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Rink

Recording from ScummVM

Post by Rink »

Hello there everyone.

I am trying to record videos from ScummVM, but it does not seem to work with Fraps 2.5. Is it just that version that does not work? What do you use to record or how do I get it to work?
Camtasia does not work sadly. .30 days trial is up (the videos were to big anyway). Is there really no way to make Fraps work? How do you record?
I ask because I want to cut scenes from the old games together to make a video (which I will put on Youtube so you can watch.. if I ever will succeed in recording ... :(( ).

Thanks

Rinky
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Seeing as its YouTube and not exactly renowned for its video quality, I would find it easier to link a graphics card to a digital camcorder and the soundcard as well.

Then just import the video and edit as you wish... I am thinking of doing something along those lines for something I am working on.
Rink

Post by Rink »

Hmm yes, that would be a possibility, but I would rather make a high quality video and then have something "flexible" for other platforms than youtube. Besides I then have to take it back on PC again and hoped that there would be a easier solution with a program on PC. Nobody ever recorded something from ScummVM? (quite surprising)
Rink

Post by Rink »

okay, Fraps really does not work. Camtasia as serious issues too (you actually have to "zoom in" to get it in a sort of full screen capture of the games with ScummVM, not tested with Dosbox. But then the computer is slowed down that mcuh that I can only capture about 4 frames per second (crappy hardware, but it is possible better). My videocamera is not working at the moment, have to give it to repairman so this is no option too. Next I will test will be Hypercam, I hope it does not slow the Computer down like Camtasia does (2-4 frames/second capture does not help). Okay, just thought I post that.
Tell me if someone gets fraps to work on scummVM or Dosbox
Rink

Post by Rink »

okay: Hypercam 2 has absolutely no problem to record from ScummVM. 10Frames per second. Thanks anyway and I hope this will make the job easier to find some recording-tools for other people that do not want to try 20 tools to find something that actually works.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Look forward to seeing some results :)
Rink

Post by Rink »

there you go... Part 1 of my Monkey Island 1 Tribute (Did not have the harddiscspace to record all the games and then cut, so I made a MI1 tribute for a start)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A4e8gHpBe4
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Quality is great :)

So what exactly did you use and what was the process like for you?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

I can't wait for part 2! :D
Rink

Post by Rink »

Thanks.. I can't wait to make it (damn you university work that I should get done!! -.-)

Okay, boring technical stuff: ^^
I used scummVM on WinXP Sp2 and Hypercam 2 to record the whole game while I played it with 10f/s and 640 x 480 pixels. Then I took those monsterfiles (acutally it was "only" about 1.5 GB alltogether) into MAGIX videodeluxe2004 plus and cut the whole thing there into pieces. Well I had nothing in my mind.. so I just watched my material and deleted bad stuff, then I browsed through the Cds I have and thought what music to take as a "headliner".. well wounded is a great song, it is a bit happy and a bit sad and I found the lyrics to be good to find material to. Well then I sorted the videoscenes I wanted to fit together and made some "markers" (one of them is the cannon, it has to be at that part of the music and nowhere else) and sort of puzzled the rest together to the music. Well soon I realised that I cannot make 1 video for the whole game so I just put away the other scenes and made one only for "the three trials".

The cutproggie:
Well if I could afford a better cutprogram, then I would take it... it SUCKS because it is buggy -.- I think the 2006/07 should be better, but the one I have just moved every part in the project by 3 frames once.. that screwed up all cuts and I had to start over with cutting the pieces. Some pieces could not be made faster than half or twice the original playtime (maybe the devil knows why). Then it randomly changed the changes between scenes although I just want clear cuts and nothing else. And for taking just 1 frame off a file was to complicated. And I haven't found a way to just make a black screen without importing it as a videofile. Quality is worse than I had as a project, but I cannot make a bigger *.rm file with better quality.. but I think many are not to sad about it not being a 50 MB monster ^^
The worst part was, that some of the scenes that I cut in the middle and should be fit together in the complete movieclip WITHOUT the watcher knowing that it are actually 2 scenes produced a black screen between the scenes.. in Magix it tells me that there is no black screen but it gets produced when the program fits together the pieces and I cannot put the pieces together in magix already. So I had to start with fades and stuff which cost me honor, sweat and frames ^^
Well ok, there are good sides too, really easy to implement audio in high quality, you can cut the audio too in the programm and add effects (if you want to), really easy to implement videomaterial, mostly good quality outputs, if you have few scenes and do not want to change a lot then it may be perfect. If you are perfectionist, then it is not that easy ^^

Well ok, there is always something wrong with every program you want to work with.. I am still happy with the result. Anyone had a lot of other cutprograms? I would like to hear stories from them so I know what to buy (as soon as I have the money :/)
Rink

Post by Rink »

Part 2 of my tribute was finaly completed last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eFNzdv5Pns

I just thought maybe some of you here liked the first part and liked to know. :)