DXA support in BrokenSword 1/2

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

whatever wrote:with broken sword 1 i get some garbage in the lower part of the screen instead of the black bar in some movies (not in all of them, intro works fine for example). apart from that it works as intended.
I've just made a couple of changes which should fix this. Hopefully.
whatever

Post by whatever »

yes, it's fixed now. thx.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Hi,

When I try to use the encode_dxa that came with 8-27-06 Win32 snapshot, it won't let me encode any of the Broken Sword 2 cutscenes. Instead, I get an error message.

For example, after converting the intro.smk into the .png's and the .wav, I try to encode it with this line: encode_dxa intro. It reports this:

Encoding audio...'lame' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Got error from encoder. (check your parameters)
Encoder Commandline: lame -t --vbr-new -b 24 -q 2 -V 4 -B 64 "intro.wav" "intro.
mp3"

It works, however, when I encode the Blue's Clues videos.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clone2727 wrote: Encoding audio...'lame' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
ScummVM's sound compression tools generally work by invoking a standalone program to do the actual work. They use lame for creating MP3 files, oggenc for creating Ogg Vorbis files, and flac for creating FLAC files.

Apparently, when commpressing the Blue's Clues videos you kept lame.exe somewhere where the DXA encoder could find it.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Apparently, when commpressing the Blue's Clues videos you kept lame.exe somewhere where the DXA encoder could find it.
The Blue's Clues videos would not have effected, since they are all video only.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Kirben wrote:
eriktorbjorn wrote:Apparently, when commpressing the Blue's Clues videos you kept lame.exe somewhere where the DXA encoder could find it.
The Blue's Clues videos would not have effected, since they are all video only.
Yeah, I figured that out. Anyway, I got it to work. Thanks!
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Two Questions:

1. Should stone1, stone2, and stone3 be considered as one movie?
2. If not, is stone1 supposed to not have sound?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clone2727 wrote: 1. Should stone1, stone2, and stone3 be considered as one movie?
2. If not, is stone1 supposed to not have sound?
They are three separate movies. The stone1 one is silent.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Thanks again!
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

A quick questoin, not haeing seen a dxa that i know if, yet, are they really much better in quality? I recently bought copies of BS I and II
and am very much enjoying them, but wondered about the posts above about converting the cut scenes.....I am learning as fast as I can and initially thought I would have to do these conversions to play the games at all with scummVM, for SCVM was a scary mystery to me since I first heard about it quite a while ago, I got brave and installed and am totally amazed and so happy that you have all done this great work. it took me a while, being a shy and cautious (read scared of complexity in code, etc.) person, but am SO glad that I dared and you careed ...to do this. But I was wondering about DXA, should we hope for this widely?
Whomper

Post by Whomper »

Will you be posting new versions of the Sword 1/Sword 2 cutscenes in DXA format in time for the next release?

Can I do DXA encoding on the Mac, or is it Windows only at the moment?
whatever

Post by whatever »

Whomper wrote:Can I do DXA encoding on the Mac, or is it Windows only at the moment?
dxa encoding is multi-platform, but for smk decoding (to wav+png) you need the rad-tools which are only available for windows...

btw: would it be legal to offer downloads for the dxa videos, or is the permission limited to low quality mpeg2 and download from scummvm.org?
clem

Post by clem »

whatever wrote:btw: would it be legal to offer downloads for the dxa videos, or is the permission limited to low quality mpeg2 and download from scummvm.org?
afaik hosting DXA of Broken Sword 1/2 should be legally possible
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Hey, I noticed the new Cutscene pack downloads for the demos guys, cheers for that!

Although I kinda wish the BS2 pack would've been the proper full edition (i.e. the CD version of the demo which had an extra movie or two). AFAIK I only ever saw this "full" demo on a PC Format disc back then. But thanks nevertheless! :)
keirondrk

Post by keirondrk »

started off a re-compress of my feeble file cd smackers...

using the latest encode_dxa.exe 10SVN !!!! woowwwww..

the size difference is incredible considering!..(hopefully non-quality effecting.. I believe its lossless format)

from the quick test i've just done, if your after a bit of space
I would highly recommend re-encoding your dxa's with the latest
SVN tool, just left mine working away today.

The new dxa's varied from being half the size to even smaller!

Next onto broken sword 1&2 :)