scummvm on the xbox

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mike74

scummvm on the xbox

Post by mike74 »

hi folks im new to this just found out about scummvm im just wondering about how i can get broken sword to work on my xbox in simple terms baring in mind im new to this if somebody could help me in simple terms id be extremely grateful
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

There is an unofficial port of ScummVM to XBox called ScummVMx. Google for it.

Eugene
mike74

broken sword 1 and 2

Post by mike74 »

many thanks got it installed ihave an a original copy of broken sword 1 and 2 for pc so how do i go about putting them on my xbox because i have no networking cables tools on my xbox can you run it of cds\dvds ihave the scummvm emulator working properly
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

No idea. As I've told you, this is unofficial port, we even didn't see its source code. So how after recommends to handle it we have no idea. Probably README shipped with the package my enlighten you.

Eugene
AmyGrrl

Post by AmyGrrl »

ScummVMx v0.8.0 WIP 20051204 is a great app for the xbox. The new version was just released yesterday actually. The 0.6.0 version wasn't very playable as the images would get cut off. Since the 0.7.1 release a few months ago a resize option was added. You can goto http://www.xbins.org/ and read the NFO file. As to where to get this release? I can't help you with that as this is built illegally with the Microsoft SDK, all I can say is check the "Usual Places".

Below are actual screenshots taken from ScummVMx v0.8.0 WIP 20051204 running on my XBOX using Xbox Image Grabber 2 and debug enviroment setup on my xbox to take pics like this. The images grabbed with this program tend to be a little dark so I brightened them up a little. When playing on the XBOX it looks much better.

http://www.geocities.com/amygrrl78/ScummVMx/

I actually deceided not to show the pics directly, incase some people don't want to be forced to see them when trying to read a post.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

AmyGrrl wrote:ScummVMx v0.8.0 WIP 20051204 is a great app for the xbox. The new version was just released yesterday actually. The 0.6.0 version wasn't very playable as the images would get cut off. Since the 0.7.1 release a few months ago a resize option was added. You can goto http://www.xbins.org/ and read the NFO file. As to where to get this release? I can't help you with that as this is built illegally with the Microsoft SDK, all I can say is check the "Usual Places".

Below are actual screenshots taken from ScummVMx v0.8.0 WIP 20051204 running on my XBOX using Xbox Image Grabber 2 and debug enviroment setup on my xbox to take pics like this. The images grabbed with this program tend to be a little dark so I brightened them up a little. When playing on the XBOX it looks much better.

http://www.geocities.com/amygrrl78/ScummVMx/

I actually deceided not to show the pics directly, incase some people don't want to be forced to see them when trying to read a post.
Now I'm not being picky or anything but you need to reduce the quality of the JPEG files. 200k+ for a small screenshot picture is a bit excessive and you've also gone over your limit at geocities now so nobody can view them.

Jimbob
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Besides what Jimbob said (use smaller jpegs), those screenshots are, uhm, well... screenshots. In particular, they look more or less just like ScummVM looks on my OS X box (OK, there is this black border around the graphics, big deal)...

Far more impressive would be real pictures, taken with a camera :-)
AmyGrrl

Post by AmyGrrl »

Sorry about that I didn't realize geocities wouldn't allow the pictures, they must of really lowered their transfer limit. The reason for the back borders, is that all TV's do overscan, so if I left it at full resolution the images would get cut off the edge of the screen. So with the XBOX port you can resize the screen. When veiwing on the TV screen it looks full screen, cuz the black boarders are overscaned off the edge of the TV. If I can find my Web Cam today, it's packed in a box... I'll take a small video of it running... but those pics are real, if you read up on how to setup a debug envirment on your XBOX you can do it do. Only a few games don't work with this, Like Halo 2.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

fingolfin wrote:Besides what Jimbob said (use smaller jpegs), those screenshots are, uhm, well... screenshots. In particular, they look more or less just like ScummVM looks on my OS X box (OK, there is this black border around the graphics, big deal)...

Far more impressive would be real pictures, taken with a camera :-)
This is a good point. I guess Beneath a Steel Sky and any other supported games look the same regardless of the hardware they're being run on.

Jimbob
bushwakko

no flac support

Post by bushwakko »

the WIP release for xbox is really great, except it isn't compiled with FLAC support, this really sucks because I made flac files of all my sounds :/

I can't find no official homepage or forum for this either, so I find no way of telling this guy to compile with flac :/
bushwakko

Post by bushwakko »

I still cant find an xbox port with flac support! its really annoying to have all these great games there, but no speech!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: no flac support

Post by sev »

bushwakko wrote:the WIP release for xbox is really great, except it isn't compiled with FLAC support, this really sucks because I made flac files of all my sounds :/
And what really prevents you from recompressing them?

Eugene
bushwakko

Post by bushwakko »

well, I just like the concept of having all my files compressed and lossless. and having to recompress them into something else seems to much work (I have deleted the orignal sound files). Do anyone know an email or something to the WIP guy? so I can ask him to release a new one with flac support?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

bushwakko wrote:(I have deleted the orignal sound files)
How is this possible? Don't you have the original disc?
bushwakko

Post by bushwakko »

I do, but there is where the work comes in. And why i copied the stuff onto my hd in the first place.