ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > Help and Support > Newbie guide to ScummVM Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Newbie guide to ScummVM
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
bobdevis

Re: Monkey Island 2 porblem 

quote:
Originally posted by TheRedLittleMage
this is gona sound dumb but really odd
i wanted to play monkey island 2 but every time i try there is a error screen and its too fast so i can picture it
so i decide to walk around the forum for answer i found some but it still show a error and i belive is a sound error
but i ave no ideal what it is anyone help me

Read this:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=8440
Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:44 am 
KuroShiro

Re: Monkey Island 2 porblem 

quote:
Originally posted by TheRedLittleMage
this is gona sound dumb but really odd
i wanted to play monkey island 2 but every time i try there is a error screen and its too fast so i can picture it
so i decide to walk around the forum for answer i found some but it still show a error and i belive is a sound error
but i ave no ideal what it is anyone help me

I have attempted to translate your message (is proofreading so hard?), and I have come to the conclusion that you probably just haven't properly copied over all the files. Actually read the first post of this thread, and make sure you have copied over the files here.

If it still crashes, run ScummVM from the command line and report what it says when the game crashes.
Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:47 am 
Red_Breast

I think Bob's guide would make a good sticky although I totally understand what sev means in the second post about reading documentation and FAQs.
I suppose there's only so much you can do and it's not helped when people come on here claiming they are of the age group who don't read readmes.
When I was a kid I loved reading all the manuals and stuff that came with a game. That's before even starting the game. Same goes for the old vinyl LPs (elpees!) which usually had lots of liner notes.
When I was a kid during the war mumble mumble mumble....

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:23 pm 
bobdevis

Yeah, but when 'you were a kid during the war' there was a lot less technology to deal with on a daily basis, so requiring people to read all the documentation was much more reasonable.

Now we have people with an 'online life' who have no concept of file system hierarchy and car owners who have no clue how a combustion engine works......

Like it or hate it, but there is no point arguing with the zeitgeist.

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:01 pm 
TheRedLittleMage

Thanks but too late 

thanks but i found my problem
i dint finish setting the emulator so i check alot more in the option
and i found my problem and now i can play monkey island 2 in a
HD screen whit a HD sound
that was fun and kinda funny

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:20 pm 
Dkdj11

I am trying to play the game 7th Guest using Scumm VM. I am using a laptop computer windows 7. I am using Scumm Vm version 1.1.1. I copied the files from the main game itself to another folder on my c drive and have directed ScummVM to that folder. However, ScummVM insists that there is no game on that directory. I understand that Scummvm 0.13 supports 7th Guest, but is that the only version that does support? Futhermore, where can I find version 0.13, I can not seem to find that version in the downloads page.

Am I doing something wrong? I really want to play 7th Guest. Please help me.

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:22 am 
KuroShiro

quote:
Originally posted by Dkdj11
I am trying to play the game 7th Guest using Scumm VM. I am using a laptop computer windows 7. I am using Scumm Vm version 1.1.1. I copied the files from the main game itself to another folder on my c drive and have directed ScummVM to that folder. However, ScummVM insists that there is no game on that directory. I understand that Scummvm 0.13 supports 7th Guest, but is that the only version that does support? Futhermore, where can I find version 0.13, I can not seem to find that version in the downloads page.

Am I doing something wrong? I really want to play 7th Guest. Please help me.

Yes, you are probably doing something wrong, T7G is supported. In case you are confused, what you need is *not* the files you get after installing the game, but rather these files directly from the CD.

You will also have to rip the CD audio if you want to listen to those tracks. See the ScummVM readme file for instructions on doing that.

Last edited by KuroShiro on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:38 am 
Dkdj11

What the problem really is is that the game itself refuses to even install. Do I have to install it before playing it with ScummVM?

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:41 am 
KuroShiro

quote:
Originally posted by Dkdj11
What the problem really is is that the game itself refuses to even install. Do I have to install it before playing it with ScummVM?

Read my previous post again.
Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:45 am 
jjnryan

expand folders from cdrom? 

Okay, when you copy files from your cdroms to the harddrive should you copy all files into one directory or leave them in the subdirectories as on the cdrom?

For instance:

Just Grandma and Me, 1993 Living Books Random House/Broderbund

{"PAGES.512", 0, "613ca946bc8d91087fb7c10e9b84e88b", 2435}

The .512 file includes the directories from the cdrom but when I try to find the game using scrumm 1.3.1 it says no game found and gives the above ?checksums?. I've copied the following files/directories (including files) to a single folder:

DATA dir
DIB.DRV
FILE.DLL
GRANDMA.EXE
PAGES.512
RSRC.DLL

Too many files? not enough? expand the data files to the same directory instead of the sub-directory?

Thanks for helping!!

p.s. Feel free to move this post to the correct forum if this is the wrong place. Smile

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:50 am 
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: expand folders from cdrom? 

quote:
Originally posted by jjnryan
Okay, when you copy files from your cdroms to the harddrive should you copy all files into one directory or leave them in the subdirectories as on the cdrom?

For instance:

Just Grandma and Me, 1993 Living Books Random House/Broderbund

{"PAGES.512", 0, "613ca946bc8d91087fb7c10e9b84e88b", 2435}

The .512 file includes the directories from the cdrom but when I try to find the game using scrumm 1.3.1 it says no game found and gives the above ?checksums?. I've copied the following files/directories (including files) to a single folder:

DATA dir
DIB.DRV
FILE.DLL
GRANDMA.EXE
PAGES.512
RSRC.DLL

Too many files? not enough? expand the data files to the same directory instead of the sub-directory?

Thanks for helping!!

p.s. Feel free to move this post to the correct forum if this is the wrong place. :)

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles#Living_Books mentions a "SYSTEM.MHK" file, if you have that copy it too.

EDIT: Looking through our detection entries this seems to be an unknown version. Please submit a bug report on the bug tracker.
Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:19 am 
jjnryan

The wiki still isn't clear on whether I use sub-directories or just put all the files in one directory.

I'll post a bug report.

Thanks.[/quote]

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:37 pm 
clone2727
Retired

quote:
Originally posted by jjnryan
The wiki still isn't clear on whether I use sub-directories or just put all the files in one directory.

I'll post a bug report.

Thanks.
Keep it in the same structure. Why would we expect you to do more work? Wink
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:51 pm 
jjnryan

heheh! sounds good to me. Smile

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:52 pm 
dmbjunky

maybe someone can steer me in the right direction. I have a everdrive 64 and wanted to try this emulator on it. The problem i have is getting a copy of DOTT that will work. Does it have to be a rom or some other type of file?

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:25 am 
Reply to topic