Newbie guide to ScummVM

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Frizzeh

Post by Frizzeh »

KuroShiro wrote:
Frizzeh wrote:Hi folks, I'm having some trouble playing "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream".
This is my first time using Scumm, but it seems to me that it won't recognize the game inside its directory folder. Anything I might be missing here?
Can't be sure , but it sounds like you tried to install the game. Don't install it. Copy the files listed here to a directory on your HD from the CD and point ScummVM there.
Wow! I knew it would be something simple like that, thanks a lot!
finnbrit

Simon the Sorcerer 2, Vista

Post by finnbrit »

Hi,

Please help. I know very little about coding - all I know about computers is that I like Simon the Sorcerer 2 and want to play it! I have Vista and a version of the game that is XP compatible but it crashes on my computer once I've visited a few places so I've tried Scumm..

I've uninstalled the game and installed ScummVM. I've created a new folder "C:/Simon" and moved all the files contained on the CD-ROM to this folder. I've then opened Scumm and pointed it at that location. When I do it says "ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory". Could somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong.. in simple layman's language?

Thank you in advance for any help!
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

if i remember correctly Simon 2 holds two (one?) .cab (.exe?) files which itself hold some more data files.
These files are needed for Simon 2 to run and even be recognized within ScummVM.

You need to extract those data files and copy it to the same directory as all the other files
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Simon the Sorcerer 2, Vista

Post by eriktorbjorn »

finnbrit wrote: I've uninstalled the game and installed ScummVM. I've created a new folder "C:/Simon" and moved all the files contained on the CD-ROM to this folder. I've then opened Scumm and pointed it at that location. When I do it says "ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory".
More specifically, what files are in that folder? I think - but am not sure - that ScummVM is looking for files named "game32" or "gsptr30", "icon.dat", "simon2.gme", "stripped.txt" and "tbllist".
the A.D.D. Kidd

Post by the A.D.D. Kidd »

Hello, I am new to this ScummVM thing, and on my first try I got it working. On my computer, at least. My question concerns on how to get the sound to work when I try to use my TV as a monitor (it's a Vizio HDTV by the way and yes I am using HDMI cables). So could you help a newbie out? Thanks in advance.
unbrained

Windows embedded ce 6.0

Post by unbrained »

Hi guys!

First off, I've been enjoying scummvm for a long time now, started a long time ago with my first ppc and spent many hours enjoying my favorite oldskool games ^ ^

now, finaly, issues have come up :P I recently bought a tabletlike ppc (arm11, windows embedded ce 6.0 r3) which I'm trying to get going to my liking. After searching a bit I finally found some compatible software for the damn thing, on of the things included scummvm, and immediatly I saw light at the end of the tunnel.

Now, I started it up, but so far I can't seem to run any of my games. I tried 7th guest and Riven, both can't be found using add game, either automatic search or not. I looked at the version, and the version is quite old, v 0.10.0, so I figured that might be my problem. However, when I download the winCE version from the site, all three .exe files give me a fatal error. So thats out of the window.

Therefor my question is whether anybody knows how to get this thing running on my device! Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really wanna get going again :)

Regards,

Dylan
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Windows embedded ce 6.0

Post by eriktorbjorn »

unbrained wrote:I tried 7th guest and Riven, both can't be found using add game, either automatic search or not. I looked at the version, and the version is quite old, v 0.10.0, so I figured that might be my problem.
The 7th Guest wasn't supported until ScummVM 0.13.0 (released more than 1.5 years after 0.10.0), and Riven is still work-in-progress (it's disabled by default), so you're quite right that 0.10.0 is too old.

I'm afraid I have no knowledge whatsoever about your other questions.
TuElement

Post by TuElement »

Hey guys, i'm a real noob here at ScummVM.
This is my problem:
I have download The Curse of Monkey Island 3 from pirate bay
When the installing was done, the file who I thought was the Game, was a File name "Curse.rar"

What do I do ?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Lol, he actually expects help.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

TuElement wrote: What do I do ?
Plead insanity.
You are joking right?
or read the rules, at least the first one.
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=17
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

TuElement wrote: What do I do ?
Achievement unlocked!
Post in a thread without even bothering to read the first post.
TuElement

Post by TuElement »

"Nice" peoples here !
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

It's nothing personal, but nobody here is allowed to help you because this website is legally scrutinized and it's been made a rule that we can't answer any questions regarding pirated copies of games to keep ScummVM in the legal green area.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

TuElement wrote:"Nice" peoples here !
Usually, most of them are. Software piracy is one of the few subjects that tend to put people on edge, and they probably feel that failing to read the forum rules before posting is cause for some ridicule.

The anti-piracy rule may seem silly, but I'm guessing there are several good reasons for it. For one thing, we've already received at least one cease-and-desist letter from LucasArts, and that sort of thing makes people nervous. For another, many of us believe that the policy has helped us maintain good relations with other, more sensible companies. Some of them have actively assisted us by providing us with the source code for some of their games, which helps immensely. Also, some of the games that ScummVM supports (or will support in the future) are still being sold. Some have been re-released recently. We wouldn't want to undermine that.
TheRedLittleMage

Monkey Island 2 porblem

Post by TheRedLittleMage »

this is gona sound dumb but really odd
i wanted to play monkey island 2 but every time i try there is a error screen and its too fast so i can picture it
so i decide to walk around the forum for answer i found some but it still show a error and i belive is a sound error
but i ave no ideal what it is anyone help me