ScummVM 0.7.1 - So how much memory does it need?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Palm port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

raisin

ScummVM 0.7.1 - So how much memory does it need?

Post by raisin »

hi there,

I've been given a somewhat older PDA a few days ago.
First order of business was to get scummvm up and running. I've got the following configuration set up:

Sony Clie PEG-T675C running PalmOS 4.1
ScummVM 0.7.1 for PalmOS

I can run Monkey Island 1 and 2 using direct mode (via frontend it can't find the necessary files most of the time) but monkey1 usually crashes after a short while, when changing locations or accessing the game menu, and monkey2 predictably dies after selecting the game difficulty at the beginning.

The corresponding error message reads:

Code: Select all

MemoryMgr.c Line3552
MemMovetoNULL

This made me investigate into the matter a bit further. An application called Memory Hog reports the PDA's memory conditions as follows...

Total Storage: 15359k
Free Storage: 12074k

Total Dynamic: 1017k
Free Dynamic: 950k

I guess storage memory doesn't really matter in this case and 950k of free dynamic mem doesn't sound THAT bad, compared to the total memory available. Alas, it does't work properly (and when it does it's a bit on the slow side). Now I'm stuck and have a few questions I'd like to get out the door...

1. How much memory should usually be available for scummvm 0.7.1 to run (on PalmOS)?

2. Is there a way to free up more dynamic memory like terminating some processes / applications (I'm kinda new to this PDA thing). Checked up on UDMH and FHR but since I'm on OS4.1 and Dragonball, there's no such luck.

3. Since there is so far only the ARM release of scummvm 0.9 available (afaik) and the supposedly newest version (0.7.1) doesn't seemm to work for me, would you think it might help to revert to an older version (if there are still binaries available somewhere)?

Thanks in advance for reading...
take care

and btw, devs: Great job! Keep up the good work.