OpenGL-HQ for SDL

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

OpenGL-HQ for SDL

Post by md5 »

Not sure if this has been posted in the old forums (can't remember now). Some people might find this useful as hardware scaling is much faster than software
OpenGL-HQ is a video "driver" for SDL that uses your graphics hardware to scale the output to any size you want. It was originally written for 2D games/emulators like dosbox, scummvm or exult.
For Windows: all you need to do to get ScummVM working with it is to copy the custom SDL.dll and overwrite the original SDL.dll in the ScummVM directory (keep a backup of the original one first!) and then create a couple of environment variables in a batch file or in the System properties (more instructions in its readme). I'm not sure about other operating systems :(

Download it here:
http://garni.ch/dosbox/
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

Great, this ReadMe has *nix linefeeds.

Could you provide a Windows-Compatible ReadMe?

Or even better, could you state examplary what to do here?

I really like to use this SDL version to get my TabletPC pen to work with ScummVM in fullscreen mode.

Oh, how MUCH I LOVE those incompatibilties, especially between TEXTFILES.

This is so great, hopefully this will never change because all sides agree that the other side is totally wrong and if anything should change, it has to be the other side.

And please don't tell me that those differences make ANY sense.
I know what the difference is in the technical way. It still does not make any sense to me to keep TEXTFILES incompatible.

Best regards

Joachim Eberhard
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

joachimeberhard wrote:Great, this ReadMe has *nix linefeeds.
The command-line version of Unzip has an option for automatically converting newlines to the native format, but I don't know if that's a standard feature of all unzipping programs. (WinZip seems to have an option for doing it with TAR archives.)

Also, many text editors understand both forms of newlines. Unfortunately, Notepad is not one of them. You may want to try WordPad instead. I believe both are included with Windows by default.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Thanks for the tip!

WordPad works, I didn't know that.

I used a shareware program once to open *nix textfiles, but I didn't want to pay only to read textfiles.

Thank you

Joachim Eberhard
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Has anyone any experience in using this file?

I overwrote the sdl.ini, created the batch file according to the readme, and tried some other stuff.

ScummVM opens, but I cannot move the cursor nor does scummvm react on any keystroke.

Best regards

Joachim Eberhard
Last edited by joachimeberhard on Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Ask Moe at Vogons. There's a dedicated support topic for this SDL build.
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Oh well, hundreds of post in just one big thread.

Are you sure that I can find any information there?

I haven't found anything regarding environment-variables so far.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
GUN

Post by GUN »

hm ..

I tried tio insert the File only ..

but I doesn`t see any difference ..

maybe a small delay , but i'm not sure ..
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

There won't be any difference if you just copy the modified dll over the normal one. You'll have to tell it to use its enhanced functions. That's why you need to create the batch files (have a look at the readme file of the library)
GUN

Post by GUN »

md5 wrote:There won't be any difference if you just copy the modified dll over the normal one. You'll have to tell it to use its enhanced functions. That's why you need to create the batch files (have a look at the readme file of the library)
:D .. that would explain , why is no differnece :/

i've overreadin ..

I tried

Code: Select all

set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=openglhq
set SDL_OPENGLHQ_WINRES=800x600
scummvm.exe --config=scummvm.ini
I tried it wi#th MI 1

and its rather slow ...

the Menu refreshes only 1 times per Secound .. and the Game have nearly the same speed ..

hm .. I think my Hardware is much to old ...

there are also other modes ? maybe faster modes ?
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

GUN wrote:hm .. I think my Hardware is much to old ...
What are the specs of your system?

One thing comes to mind: if you're running under Windows, you may be using the generic graphic driver from Microsoft, which doesn't have hardware-accelerated OpenGL support -- hence it falls back on software OpenGL which is everything but fast. Make sure you've got the latest drivers from your board's manufacturer.
frank_m24

Post by frank_m24 »

Hello,

don't forget to set "--force-1x-overlay" for scummvm in the Batch. ScummVM activates a scaler itself, which ist not allowed for Opengl-HQ.

kind regards

Frank
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

[quote="frank_m24"]
don't forget to set "--force-1x-overlay" for scummvm in the Batch. ScummVM activates a scaler itself, which ist not allowed for Opengl-HQ.
[/quote]

well I think the new gui with a plain 2x scaler and after it the hq scaler over it looks better than the old version.
GUN

Post by GUN »

frank_m24 wrote:Hello,

kind regards

Frank
I tried this , the Game and the parameter hasn't any relation to the game .. maybe more pixelized , but not faster or something like that

Only the Menu is shrinked to 320x200 and streched to resolution ..

What are the specs of your system?
I speak esspecially from my Graphiccard , its a FX5200 .. rather old , but 2 DVI and passive Cooling , and quite enough power for working with ..

I think the DLL works with coding path which is not implementated in this generation of nVidia Cards :(