Nemesis in Full Screen Mode

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Longfellowe

Nemesis in Full Screen Mode

Post by Longfellowe »

I did a search on this topic and found the last discussion back in 2015. At that time there did not apear to be a way to run Nemesis full screen. However, in the ScummVM installation guide it says to use ALT+Enter to toggle full screen. I've tried this and a message indicating that it has entered full screen mode appears but the screen fill stays the same. I've tried toggling full screen mode in ScummVM Global Settings without success. Game Options will not accept a request for full screen, the check box won't toggle. So, does anyone know if full screen has been implemented in the last few years or are we still at original size? If it is possible any ideas on how I might make it happen? I have the original 3 CD disks which have been consolidated into one folder on my "C" drive. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Nemesis in Full Screen Mode

Post by Praetorian »

Longfellowe wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:27 am I did a search on this topic and found the last discussion back in 2015. At that time there did not apear to be a way to run Nemesis full screen. However, in the ScummVM installation guide it says to use ALT+Enter to toggle full screen. I've tried this and a message indicating that it has entered full screen mode appears but the screen fill stays the same. I've tried toggling full screen mode in ScummVM Global Settings without success. Game Options will not accept a request for full screen, the check box won't toggle. So, does anyone know if full screen has been implemented in the last few years or are we still at original size? If it is possible any ideas on how I might make it happen? I have the original 3 CD disks which have been consolidated into one folder on my "C" drive. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Which version of ScummVM are you testing with?

Also, can you share a screenshot of your Global Options for Graphics, and also the specific Game Options for Graphics tab for the game?

It could be that you've set a Stretch mode setting that does not synergize well with Full Screen mode. Try "Fit to window" to see if it changes anything.

If the Full Screen checkbox in the the Game Options is disabled, it means it uses the Global Options setting for it. If you want to override it, specifically for this game, then you have to first check the "Override global graphic settings" checkbox on top first.

Moreover, specifically for this title, it may *seem* that it's not full screen because the main view (and video playback) area is only part of the game screen area. So as far as I can tell, there's supposed to be a black area on top and on the bottom of the game screen and also to the left and right. Although, the black area to the left and to the right will be likely "extended" due to the game's display ratio being 4:3, so it cannot fit to a wide screen unless it's set to be stretched.

The game's mouse cursor should indicate what the game's screen actually is. If you move it to the top you should see the game's menu drop down.
Longfellowe

Post by Longfellowe »

Hi Praetorian,

Thanks for your prompt reply and offer to help.

I am running version 2.8.1. My screen looks like this:
GameScreenshot.jpg
GameScreenshot.jpg (157.56 KiB) Viewed 175 times
“Fit to Window” in Game or Global Options does not change my view.

If I select Stretch in Game options instead of FTW I get this:
Game stretch.jpg
Game stretch.jpg (174.63 KiB) Viewed 175 times
I notice that the drop down menu is located at the very top when activated so I’m thinking fullscreen may be a fruitless quest.

Anyway, here are the screenshots of Global and Game graphics tabs:
GlobalGraph.jpg
GlobalGraph.jpg (89.18 KiB) Viewed 175 times
GameGraph.jpg
GameGraph.jpg (89.44 KiB) Viewed 175 times
I’ve tried it with and without Global Override.

Please let me know if anything further would help.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Yes, I believe this is how the game is supposed to look like (The "Fit to Window" preserves aspect ratio so it's better albeit having more black empty space). There's no more "full-screen" mode. The black bars are part of the game screen.

See screenshots from Mobyganes too:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/560/zork ... os/534127/
https://www.mobygames.com/game/560/zork ... reenshots/

or the ones in this old review from adventuregamers:
https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/17760
https://adventuregamers.com/screenshots/view/15703
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

The bottom of the screen is used for subtitles, if you've installed the subtitle patch that Activision released for it. I don't remember off-hand if it's used for anything else.

Masterful writing! Ten out of ten!
Masterful writing! Ten out of ten!
scummvm-znemesis-00001.png (128.73 KiB) Viewed 157 times
Longfellowe

Post by Longfellowe »

Well, it is what it is.
Thanks to both you guys for taking the time to respond so promptly.