Sierra AGI Bug List?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ArthurWalden

Sierra AGI Bug List?

Post by ArthurWalden »

I appreciate being given the fixed bug list for SCI games (under my Quest for Glory IV thread), but I'm also playing the GOG version of Space Quest 1 (original) which uses Scummvm. I'm surprised at some lack of particular events (namely, certain death scenes) in this version, which makes me wonder if Scummvm programmers removed them from the GOG version. Is there a similar fixed bug list for Sierra's AGI games run under Scrummvm?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Sierra AGI Bug List?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

ArthurWalden wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:09 pm I'm surprised at some lack of particular events (namely, certain death scenes) in this version, which makes me wonder if Scummvm programmers removed them from the GOG version.
Not that I'm aware of, though I'm not that familiar with the game and hardly at all with the AGI engine. But I'm curious... Which events and death scenes do you refer to?
ArthurWalden

Post by ArthurWalden »

It's nothing major. At a few points on the Arcada, the screen displays the "You think you hear footsteps" message, but the alien soldier never shows up. This is only at some points; other places on the Arcada the approaching Sarien event works properly. Also, on the room with the trunk on the Deltaur, I thought there was supposed to be a time limit to take the necessary actions to either enter the vent or hide in the trunk. If you don't, a Sarien guard will enter and vaporize you. However, in the GOG version, you receive the warning that someone is approaching, but then, about a minute later, you discover that the approaching Sarien has gone away temporarily and no one ever enters the room to kill you.

I believe these are not bugs, but events that were disabled or changed deliberately, to make the game a little easier on players. (There may have been complaints that these death scenes were particularly unfair.) At first, I thought the Scummvm developers who worked on the game disabled the events, but on thinking more about it, that seems unlikely, as these were not bug fixes. I now believe that Sierra itself changed these death scenes in a later patch, probably in response to player complaints.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

ArthurWalden wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:40 am At first, I thought the Scummvm developers who worked on the game disabled the events, but on thinking more about it, that seems unlikely, as these were not bug fixes. I now believe that Sierra itself changed these death scenes in a later patch, probably in response to player complaints.
I don't know, but I could only find one deliberate modification to Space Quest I in the ScummVM source code, and that was to fix a "bizzare exploding roger" 17 years ago.