Wow...!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tim20

Wow...!

Post by Tim20 »

Hi

It's been some time since I used and posted on the ScummVM forums, or even played a classic adventure game through ScummVM. But recently I've gotten back into buying classic big boxed PC games, and one game I won in an auction yesterday was Phantasmagoria, which I've heard/read about for years, but never actually played. So this has given me a chance to re-install ScummVM. After installing the latest version though, I was pleasantly surprised at how far it's come since I last used it. I mean, not only does it allow for automatic updates, but there's a V-Sync option, too! :o I remember screen tearing being an issue in some games for ages, but for this to be included has blown my mind! So major kudos to the team!

And holy cow - Cloud saving, custom control configurations, Discord integration, custom icon downloads... Incredible!
Tim20

Re: Wow...!

Post by Tim20 »

Okay, this thread may need to be turned into a support one. I finally got my copy of the game, and looking up the Wiki page for it, I've (as far as I know) copied and pasted all the relevant files, which seems to be everything off each of the 7 discs. Now, I'm not sure if I've failed to do something, or bodged something up along the way, but when I come to load the game, I'm greeted with this:

https://imgur.com/OAgBg5N

I've changed each of the Resource.AUD and SFX files, so they're reading as RESAUD.00x.AUD (extension) and RESSFX.00x.SFX and I have seven of each. I did try bringing up the console like the message suggested, but nothing shows up out of the ordinary. No errors or warnings etc. :?
fibs

Post by fibs »

Tim20 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:07 pmI've changed each of the Resource.AUD and SFX files, so they're reading as RESAUD.00x.AUD (extension) and RESSFX.00x.SFX and I have seven of each.
I don't know if that's the extent of the problems, but the way I remember it you should drop the existing extension and they should read e.g.

Code: Select all

RESSFX.001
RESSFX.002
RESSFX.003
RESSFX.004
RESSFX.005
RESSFX.006
RESSFX.007
ScummVM Wiki for reference: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=Phantasmagoria
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Tim20 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:07 pm I've changed each of the Resource.AUD and SFX files, so they're reading as RESAUD.00x.AUD (extension) and RESSFX.00x.SFX and I have seven of each.
That is not correct. The Wiiki says to rename it to RESAUD.00x, not RESAUD.00x.AUD. Same for RESSFX.

Eugene
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Oh, I see. It's just that, for some reason, if I remove the .SFX or .AUD part, it asks me to confirm if I want to remove the file extension. Doing so just lists the files as 001, 002 etc rather than by their proper extension.

Like so:
explorer_J7G9h0GwLH.png
explorer_J7G9h0GwLH.png (64.9 KiB) Viewed 7376 times
explorer_X1f4s8BJ2a.png
explorer_X1f4s8BJ2a.png (2.07 KiB) Viewed 7376 times
Which to me, didn't seem right. It does that whether I have 'Show file name extensions' checked or not.
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Okay, I tried removing the .SFX and .AUD at the ends of the files and the error no longer shows. :) Also, I'm not getting music on the main menu, which I wasn't getting before.