Android 2.7.1 beta

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Aidor

Android 2.7.1 beta

Post by Aidor »

Hi,

I'm using Android 13, and I'm not sure if it's because of that (going from Android 12 to 13) or because the new v2.7.1, but now the long press system Back button does not open Global Main Menu anymore.

Also, It would be nice that screen orientation changes when turning our device.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Android 2.7.1 beta

Post by Praetorian »

Aidor wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:56 pm Hi,

I'm using Android 13, and I'm not sure if it's because of that (going from Android 12 to 13) or because the new v2.7.1, but now the long press system Back button does not open Global Main Menu anymore.

Also, It would be nice that screen orientation changes when turning our device.
I can only test on Android 12 on a physical device, but on Android 12 I cannot reproduce the issue. It could be something specific for Android 13.
  • Does the Global Main Menu come up when you press the icon with the three horizontal lines on the top right?
  • Do you have the virtual keyboard on when testing the long-press system Back button? (It won't work when the virtual keyboard is on - this is known/intended)
  • Also on the launcher screen the long press system Back, as well as the icon with the three horizontal lines don't do anything (this is known/intended)
Edit: I should also mention that I've now tested on an emulated Android 13 (API 33) device, and long-press of the system back button works to bring up the ScummVM GMM.
Aidor

Post by Aidor »

Praetorian wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:10 pm
I can only test on Android 12 on a physical device, but on Android 12 I cannot reproduce the issue. It could be something specific for Android 13.
  • Does the Global Main Menu come up when you press the icon with the three horizontal lines on the top right?
  • Do you have the virtual keyboard on when testing the long-press system Back button? (It won't work when the virtual keyboard is on - this is known/intended)
  • Also on the launcher screen the long press system Back, as well as the icon with the three horizontal lines don't do anything (this is known/intended)
Edit: I should also mention that I've now tested on an emulated Android 13 (API 33) device, and long-press of the system back button works to bring up the ScummVM GMM.
Thanks for the tips, but It still doesn't work.

*Yeah, with the three horizontal lines icon the GMM comes up. But I like to use the long press back button option and hide the icon.

*No keyboard on.

*Yeah, the issue happens in-game.

One weird thing a noticed: if I bind the long press back button to the widgets menu in my device general settings, then in ScummVM the long press back button works and the GMM comes up (but only if I hold the back botton. If I release It, the GMM disapears. So I can't change any GMM setting). If I unbind that long press back button in my device settings, then in ScummVM the long press does nothing again. Quite weird.

Anyway... Which is the Android previous version? I think it's 2.7.0.5 from here (but there are 8 android versions of 2.7.0.5... which one should I download?) I would like to test a previous version to try to figure out the cause of this issue.

https://downloads.scummvm.org/frs/scummvm/2.7.0/
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Hmm, maybe it's a case of back button being mapped to something that interferes with the long press. Either in ScummVM keymapper (if you did a custom mapping for it, the default should be ok) or on the device for whatever reason.

What is the specific device model?

You're more likely want to download the "scummvm-2.7.0.5-android-arm64-v8a.apk", but note that a downgrade is not really a supported process for Google apps. Meaning that you'll have to uninstall the 2.7.1 version first (Android should prompt you to do that too). so you'll have to re-configure the new version as well.

In a way it will be like a clean install though, so that could be something that fixes the issue by itself.
Aidor

Post by Aidor »

Praetorian wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:37 am Hmm, maybe it's a case of back button being mapped to something that interferes with the long press. Either in ScummVM keymapper (if you did a custom mapping for it, the default should be ok) or on the device for whatever reason.

What is the specific device model?

You're more likely want to download the "scummvm-2.7.0.5-android-arm64-v8a.apk", but note that a downgrade is not really a supported process for Google apps. Meaning that you'll have to uninstall the 2.7.1 version first (Android should prompt you to do that too). so you'll have to re-configure the new version as well.

In a way it will be like a clean install though, so that could be something that fixes the issue by itself.

My device is a Redmi Note 11 Pro 5G. It uses its own android custom interface (MIUI), and maybe it's because of that.

I have uninstalled 2.7.1 and tested 2.7.0.5, and It doesn't work. Also tested 2.7.0, and still the long press back button doesn't work. I'm sure that with 2.7.0 it worked some month ago. So it's most likely a issue with my new Android 13 version (or the new MIUI custom user interface).

I also tested with those general device button shortcuts and the posssible settings, but the most I can get is that weird thing I explained in my previous post.

Maybe you guys can test this issue with other Android 13 devices and reproduce this issue, because I'm running out of ideas.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

My RedMi Note device is the 9 model, and it won't get Android 13. It's on Android 12 currently, with security update from March 2023.

It does not have the issue with the long press, but it did have an issue with the three finger touch (which we use for middle mouse click) because it would map it to "Take a screenshot" feature. This could be changed from the "Gesture Shortcuts" system menu -- which I found about after a while, so now that's fixed for me.

It's not unlikely that they added more such default options with their MUI version for Android 13... maybe some are quite obscure to spot and disable. So maybe it is indeed connected to Xiaomi's new MUI specifically.

Anyway, I have notified the rest of the team on Discord about this issue (if they've not read it here too) but so far no physical Android 13 devices.
As I've written above, the long press back works ok on emulated Android 13 device (tested on Android Studio with a "Pixel 4a" model).

You can open a bug ticket about this on the ScummVM bug tracker, so we can track its resolution easier (and more developers notice it).
Bug tracker: https://bugs.scummvm.org
How-to: https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/help ... _bugs.html
Aidor

Post by Aidor »

Ok, thanks for your help and for letting them know in the Discord channel. I've been looking into those device shortcuts options and testing more combinations, but with no luck. Still doesn't work in ScummVM.

I'll look that bug tracker, thanks.
tag2015

Post by tag2015 »

I have a physical phone with Android 13 (Galaxy A52s 5G, July 1 security update) and I can't reproduce the issue (using 2.7.1 from Google Store or buildbot master)
@Praetorian if you need additional tests just contact me on Discord

By the way was this bug added to the tracker? I can't find anything related
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

tag2015 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:21 am I have a physical phone with Android 13 (Galaxy A52s 5G, July 1 security update) and I can't reproduce the issue (using 2.7.1 from Google Store or buildbot master)
Thank you, that's good to know!
I'm not seeing anything either. Maybe they will add it later if it persists.
Aidor

Post by Aidor »

tag2015 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:21 am I have a physical phone with Android 13 (Galaxy A52s 5G, July 1 security update) and I can't reproduce the issue (using 2.7.1 from Google Store or buildbot master)

Thanks for the feedback! So... it seems a issue with my device/customUI.
Praetorian wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:49 am I'm not seeing anything either. Maybe they will add it later if it persists.
I didn't add it to the bug tracker because I'm still not sure the kind of issue I'm having here. It seems something caused by my device/customUI, so I'm not sure if It worth add it to the bug tracker. Anyway, I found a walkaround. I said some days ago that if I enable (in the phone general settings) the back button long press shortcut to an action (in my case, to open the widgets menu), then in ScummVM the long press back button It works, and It opens the ScummVM menu, but only while I hold It. Now I find out that, while holding the long press with one hand/finger, I can mover the cursor with the other hand/finger and get into the ScummVM menu. It's a little weird, but It works for now.