Kings Quest 7 (VII) cant enlarge Troll King at the end of Chapter 4: Will the Real Troll King Please Stand Up?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Freddy5O

Kings Quest 7 (VII) cant enlarge Troll King at the end of Chapter 4: Will the Real Troll King Please Stand Up?

Post by Freddy5O »

Chapter 4: Will the Real Troll King Please Stand Up

Hi All,

I was stuck so I read a small part of the walkthrough on the internet. They seem to be the same which ever one you choose.

It said in txt or showed in the video. And I am pretty sure I have tried both ways of going through or not going through the FAUX door before hand.

But still I am stuck. The Troll wont trigger to enlarge and I cant go down the hole ?

It wont progress because the Troll King wont trigger to enlarge from using the magic wand on his scarab beetle smaller item in our inventory?

Regardless of using one on top of the other!

Any suggestions or bug fixes ?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Kings Quest 7 (VII) cant enlarge Troll King at the end of Chapter 4: Will the Real Troll King Please Stand Up?

Post by Praetorian »

Freddy5O wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:51 am Chapter 4: Will the Real Troll King Please Stand Up

Hi All,

I was stuck so I read a small part of the walkthrough on the internet. They seem to be the same which ever one you choose.

It said in txt or showed in the video. And I am pretty sure I have tried both ways of going through or not going through the FAUX door before hand.

But still I am stuck. The Troll wont trigger to enlarge and I cant go down the hole ?

It wont progress because the Troll King wont trigger to enlarge from using the magic wand on his scarab beetle smaller item in our inventory?

Regardless of using one on top of the other!

Any suggestions or bug fixes ?
Could you provide a save game so that we can test faster?
Does this happen with 2.7.0 or a daily development build (2.8.0git)?
Freddy5O

Re: Kings Quest 7 (VII) cant enlarge Troll King at the end of Chapter 4: Will the Real Troll King Please Stand Up?

Post by Freddy5O »

Hi Praetorian,

I am using 2.7.0 version

When I try and attach the save file it says invalid file extension error. Neither of them will drag and drop or add files manually. Same error?

The file/s in my save game folder are:

KQ7.004 (004)

&

Timestamps (File)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Add a new suffix ".zip" to your save file and attach it.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Yes, the saved game KQ7.004 should suffice.

As Raziel wrote you can rename it to add a ".zip" suffix,
or you could actually use a compression tool like 7-zip to zip it).

Both of these methods should work as indicated by my example attachments. First example is properly zipped with 7-zip, and the second is just the save file renamed to have a ".zip" file extension (and has to be renamed back to remove this extension in order to work with ScummVM)
kq7.zip
(47.95 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
kq7.002.zip
(48.22 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
I think you could also upload it to a Cloud location with public access (a Google Drive folder with access to anyone who is given the url link) and post the link here.
Freddy5O

Post by Freddy5O »

Thanks guys,

I renamed it with the .zip extension.

Please see attached.

It should be at the stage as per the walkthrough online where you are to pick the troll king scarab beetle item and use the magic wand on it to enlarge the troll king. Please watch the walkthrough if you are not sure what I mean.

For me using either on top of each other doesn't do anything and now I am locked in this room and cant go anywhere now.

You can try to use the shovel on the centre statue but you are too weak to do anything. I even tried to use the mirrors that show your image at various sizes / widths thinking maybe picking the buff one may give extra strength after when using the shovel again. But no. Although the walkthrough does not show the user attempting this.
Attachments
timestamps.zip
(98 Bytes) Downloaded 40 times
kq7.004.zip
(58.99 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Hmm, I'm seeing some "weird" behavior with this saved game. Is this a proper saved game from playing the game up to that room with ScummVM?

The weird behavior is this:
Upon loading the game, and interacting with the bottom of the statue to the left of the screen, Rosella is able to read the text on the plaque immediately (initially it should be fogged up/ too dusty to read). However, she can still use the ragged cloth on it to clear it up, which I believe indicates that this was not done before (since after using the cloth once, she cannot use it again there). Not sure what's up with that.

Anyway, you do need to use the magic wand (from your inventory) on the scarab (from your inventory), but first you need to make sure the magic wand is "on the proper setting". This means, grab the wand from the inventory and "examine" it (place it on the "eye" symbol). Then rotate it while examining it (hold down the mouse button and move the mouse around) to see what letter is written on the top side of it. In your saved game it says "F". It should be set to "T". You can switch the letter on the top of the wand by clicking on the bottom side of the wand (you will have to rotate the wand a bit to be able to click on the switch on the bottom of the wand).

After setting it to "T" you should be able to use the wand with the scarab.

Apparently "T" corresponds to True and "F" to False. Not sure how that is relevant *here* but it's how it works.

See this video from 6:37 and on, for a visual description. The guy who plays the game in the video also was facing the same issue (in his case, he did know that he had to have the correct setting, but wrongly thought that "F" was the right one).
https://youtu.be/N1c0QQXT5wU?t=397
Freddy5O

Post by Freddy5O »

Hi Praetorian,

Yes that was a legit saved game which was played by me up to that point. Just before the Sierra logo pops up the ScummVM logo flashes so I believe it is running.

Yeah I don't know what is happening with the cleaning of the statue with the stocking as I already did it before giving it the golden grape and attempting the use the wand. I tried what you did and it also cleaned it one more time but then not again after that. Oh well I suppose it doesn't stop the game progress.

Thanks for giving me the hint on the letter change of the wand. That did the trick. The walkthough I watched didn't show that part so I assume the person who made that video already had done that previously in the game.

I know when I first got the wand I did put it on the eye to inspect it but only noticed the letter on the end. I think I clicked around the main part of it in a few spots but nothing opened up or did anything so I thought that was it. I never noticed the button on the end. The button was tiny so easily missed.

I don't think anywhere in the game it gave any clues to the meaning of the lettering on the wand. Unless I missed some dialogue. Not sure.

Anyhow thank you once again for your help.

Happy gaming.
ArthurWalden

Post by ArthurWalden »

I realize I'm necroing a very old thread, but I know what the "T" and "F" letter settings on the wand mean:

It's not "true" and "false." They refer to the kind of creature the wand can currently affect. "T" stands for "troll," which is why you need that setting to affect the troll king. "F" stands for...well, that would be a spoiler. Just be assured that you will need that setting before the end of the game.