Monkey Island 2 MT-32

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Juanon

Monkey Island 2 MT-32

Post by Juanon »

Hello,

I have a Roland SC-55 and tried to play Monkey Island 2 midi files in MT-32 version with Midi Player sending to the SC-55. These files come with a sysex that must be sent first to the device, but I read that the SC-55 cannot read this --even in MT-32 mode.

So I tried and no, it doesn't sound as it should.

BUT: if I play the game with ScummVM with the needed options set (use true Roland MT-32 and Roland GS device), music sounds correctly. Why? Does ScummVM send a "converted" sysex so that the SC-55 can read?

I want to play this MT-32 music with the Midi Player. Is it posible?

Thanks for the help!
LogicDeLuxe

Re: Monkey Island 2 MT-32

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

In GS mode, ScummVM would send some generic sysex to set reverb and chorus. And it translates the MT-32 tracks to GM. The MT-32 specific sysex are not used, since there is no MT-32 which would understand them. SC55 and MT-32 work very differently and you can't simply convert the sysex which reprogram the instruments.
Keep in mind that while SC55 has an MT-32 bank, it is not really MT-32 compatible. Only a few games which don't reprogram the instruments would work with that bank, and even then, they wouldn't sound exactly like an MT-32.
If you really want the MT-32 sound, you need an MT-32, a fully compatible device, or emulation thereof.
Juanon

Re: Monkey Island 2 MT-32

Post by Juanon »

Clear now! Thanks!