SCUMMVM for dummies?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Dreamcast port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Toad64

SCUMMVM for dummies?

Post by Toad64 »

Hello there. I'd like to know if someone could give me a clear, step-by-step example of how to get SCUMMVM working on my Dreamcast. I'm hardly computer illiterate, though I am new to the Dreamcast scene, but I've been having a lot of trouble finding out exactly what to do. What files I need exactly, and what to do with them when I get them.

I have DiscJuggler, BootDreams, SBI Builder. Is there anyone that can simply tell me what to grab, from where, and what to do with it to burn it?

Thanks in advance for any help on the matter,
Toad64
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

There's a finished CDI image available somewhere (look in this forum for a link).
Simply burn this to a CD using DiscJuggler (important! other programs might not work) and boot up your DC with it. After it has loaded, swap the CD for one with a supported game on it. That's all.

I don't know if it's possible to create a custom boot CD with some adventures copied to it, so that the CD swapping is not required anymore.
Anyone know how to do that?
darkghost

Post by darkghost »

My first post on the scummvm forums here but I had some experience with this specific topic in the past.
I don't know if it's possible to create a custom boot CD with some adventures copied to it, so that the CD swapping is not required anymore.
Anyone know how to do that?
Here's how I've done it. I use a program made by the same guy that did SBI called Selfboot (available at: http://www.dchomebrew.org/zacmcd/Files/Selfboot.exe ).
The latest version of ScummVM for the Dreamcast are "plain files". So here's what you do:
1) Download the latest version in plainfiles
2) Extract to any directory (I'll use C:\ScummDC for this example)

At this point you will have a few .bin files: ip.bin and scummvm.bin (or something similar). If you don't have an ip.bin I would suggest looking on some homebrew sites, they usually have one for download.

At this point you will need another .bin file not included in the package called 1st_read.bin . I took mine from another dreamcast burner program called SBI (it's in the C:\Sbinducr\Inducer folder).

3) This should be a "scrambled" 1st_read.bin so just copy it into your C:\ScummDC directory.
4) Copy any SCUMM games you legally own to their own folder in the C:\ScummDC folder (i.e. C:\ScummDC\MonkeyIsland).
5) Start up Selfboot
6) Upon starting, it will ask you to select a folder, pick the one you've been working on (C:\ScummDC in this example)
7) Burn using your method of choice (you can either use cdrecord or have it create Nero/Disc Juggler images you can burn yourself)

I personally was able to fit Monkey Island 1 and 2, Day of the Tentacle (talkie), Sam n Max (talkie), Loom, and Indy and the Last Crusade all on one 700MB disc. If you use talkie compression you might be able to do better, though I am not sure if ScummVM for the DC supports vorbis/mp3 compression of talkie. Last version I tried this with (0.6.0) did not.

If you have any problems/questions I will do my best to answer :D