Few issues with 2.7.0 daily build

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Aidor

Few issues with 2.7.0 daily build

Post by Aidor »

Hi,

I've installed the last daily build for Android because in 2.6.1 the touchpad emulation does not work in my device (touchpad works fine in 2.7.0), but I have a few 'issues' (not exactly issues):

First, I can't change the save folder path. If I change it, the next time I launch Scummvm it says to change it back to default path.

Second, is there any way to turn 180° the landscape orientation of the screen or set it to auto turn?

Third, in Monkey Island 1, everytime I launch it, it appears a message that says that "This game has audio tracks on its CD. Tracks need to be ripped from the CD...", but then I hit ok and audio is fine. Is there any way to disable this message?

Finally, I can't load the xbr shaders (it loads most of shaders, but not xbr).

Thanks in advance!!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Few issues with 2.7.0 daily build

Post by Praetorian »

Hello, can you specify what version you've installed?
Is it the beta that is currently (since yesterday-ish) on Play Store?
Aidor wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:15 pm First, I can't change the save folder path. If I change it, the next time I launch Scummvm it says to change it back to default path.
I am not sure I'm aware of such issue. What are you changing the path to, and what is the exact message from ScummVM?
Aidor wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:15 pm Second, is there any way to turn 180° the landscape orientation of the screen or set it to auto turn?
Not currently. There is a plan and some work to add such option but needs a bit more effort to bring it to a working user friendly state.
Aidor wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:15 pm Third, in Monkey Island 1, everytime I launch it, it appears a message that says that "This game has audio tracks on its CD. Tracks need to be ripped from the CD...", but then I hit ok and audio is fine. Is there any way to disable this message?
I believe I recall such a case but not the details. I might have to search where it was last discussed. But basically, the Monkey Island CD version (which is also the version that can be extracted from the Special Edition) does use audio tracks from the CD. It may also use midi audio for some sounds, but otherwise it would be silent I think. There are of course versions where midi music from the floppy versions has been re-added -- as far as I know this can happen with the fan made Ultimate Talkie Edition.

If you can specify details of the version you have, we may be able to explain it or look further into the issue.
Aidor wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:15 pm Finally, I can't load the xbr shaders (it loads most of shaders, but not xbr).
Please make sure you are testing with a latest 2.7.0 version of ScummVM (ie. the current beta). If the issue persists, please specify which xbr shader(s) you are testing with so that we can try and reproduce the issue. Also your phone's model and hardware/software specifications may help here.
Aidor

Post by Aidor »

Praetorian wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:04 pm Hello, can you specify what version you've installed?
Is it the beta that is currently (since yesterday-ish) on Play Store?
Umm, the one in the Play Store (at least that is what I see) is v2.5.0 (from october 2021), not 2.7.0. The APK I installed is from here:
https://buildbot.scummvm.org/#/dailybuilds

About the save folder issue, I get this message:
https://ibb.co/BLW0PdQ

If I use the default save folder, It works fine, but if I change it (doesn't matter if it's in the internal storage or the SD card), I get that message.

About the landscape orientation, ok, I see. Not a big issue btw.

About the Monkey Island version, I'm not sure. I have those Lucasarts games since I don't remember when. In the Scummvm menu It says "Monkey Island SE talkie". The point is that Scummvm says that I need to rip those tracks from the CD, but actually there is music in game without ripping it. There is any .iso file inside my game folder. The biggest file (196mb) inside game folder is called "monster.sou". I just want to disable that message everytime I launch it, because the game just runs/sounds fine.

Finally, about the xbr shader, I think I tested all xbr shaders, and It does not load any of them.

My device is a Redmi Note 11 Pro 5G, Android 12.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: ok, I think I can't see the v2.7.0 in the Play Store because previoulsy I need to join the beta. Should I better join and test that one from the Play Store instead the one I download from that link I posted?

EDIT 2: Ok, I joined the beta and downloaded the one from the Play Store, and I get the same results with those there issues (save path, xbr shaders, and the 'rip from CD' start message).
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Aidor wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:59 pm About the Monkey Island version, I'm not sure. I have those Lucasarts games since I don't remember when. In the Scummvm menu It says "Monkey Island SE talkie". The point is that Scummvm says that I need to rip those tracks from the CD, but actually there is music in game without ripping it. There is any .iso file inside my game folder. The biggest file (196mb) inside game folder is called "monster.sou". I just want to disable that message everytime I launch it, because the game just runs/sounds fine.
(...)
EDIT 2: Ok, I joined the beta and downloaded the one from the Play Store, and I get the same results with those there issues (save path, xbr shaders, and the 'rip from CD' start message).
Sorry I couldn't reply sooner. In general I would recommend testing with the beta, since it help us improve it and also not get false reports of bugs already fixed. But also it's good to keep in mind that the beta version is a "release" version and is incompatible with daily development builds (which are "debug" versions). It's an Android thing that we can't change. Since you're now on beta, I suppose this does not matter any more.

About the rip from CD. It's the same message I get on my Monkey Island SE Talkie installation if I remove the "Extras" path for the game. The game will fallback to use the patched-in MIDI music, although it could not originally do this. We may be able to add an exception for it. You can make the message go away, if you installed the CD audio or the SE audio tracks (both are extracted from your Special Edition version based on your choice when you run the Ultimate Talkie installer), and you point the Extras folder under "Game Options"->"Extra Path" to the folder with those tracks -- they will be named something like "cd_music_flac" and "se_music_flac" or "cd_music_ogg" and "se_music_ogg". Of course then you'll get CD or Special Edition's music and not the MIDI one.

I think I'll open a ticket for this, even though I think our SCUMM engine developers are aware of it. Edit: ticket opened here.

About the save path and the xbr shaders I may have to look into it more. I have a Redmi Note 9 Pro, on Android 12, so it's possible I should be facing the same issues.
Aidor

Post by Aidor »

Praetorian wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:13 pm You can make the message go away, if you installed the CD audio or the SE audio tracks (both are extracted from your Special Edition version based on your choice when you run the Ultimate Talkie installer), and you point the Extras folder under "Game Options"->"Extra Path" to the folder with those tracks -- they will be named something like "cd_music_flac" and "se_music_flac" or "cd_music_ogg" and "se_music_ogg". Of course then you'll get CD or Special Edition's music and not the MIDI one.

I think I'll open a ticket for this, even though I think our SCUMM engine developers are aware of it. Edit: ticket opened here.

About the save path and the xbr shaders I may have to look into it more. I have a Redmi Note 9 Pro, on Android 12, so it's possible I should be facing the same issues.
I don't have those "cd_music_flac" and "se_music_flac" or "cd_music_ogg" and "se_music_ogg" files inside my game folder. It's possible that I deleted those files some years ago in my old Android phone (to save storage space), because I'm fine with MIDI music. Maybe I should check my games in my PC, I guess that I will have the full installation there. Well, I see you opened a ticket for this. Fine, and thanks.

About the save path and the xbr shaders, please let me know if you can reproduce the issues if you can check It. Just to know if it's an issue caused by my device or not.

One more thing: the beta I joinned, will I get beta updates the same way as the other Play Store apps?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Yes, as far as I know the current plan is to release beta builds when we have a sufficient "pack" of fixes for known or reported issues until we're comfortable with the user feedback to release on the "main" channel. I believe when that happens you'll get updates from the Play Store accordingly.

Our builds will be getting incremental "versionCode" so that Play Store will know they are updates/upgrades to the previous builds.
Aidor

Post by Aidor »

Praetorian wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:53 pm Our builds will be getting incremental "versionCode" so that Play Store will know they are updates/upgrades to the previous builds.
Fine, thanks!!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Aidor wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:44 pm About the save path and the xbr shaders, please let me know if you can reproduce the issues if you can check It. Just to know if it's an issue caused by my device or not.
I can reproduce both of these issues on my device.
I believe the first one could be resolved easily since it's cause by a non-typical way we set the save path on Android (as a launch parameter). It would require some testing but we've already quickly discussed in the dev team that this can go away.

The xbr shader issue seems to be related to a missing support for Vulkan API. I currently don't have any idea if this can be eventually supported somehow. Sounds difficult to me. xbrz shaders seem to be working ok. The one I've tried anyway :)

I did stumble upon a crash while trying to download shaders to an external folder, so we'll have to look into that too. Downloading to an internal folder (I used the "saves" one) worked fine though.
Aidor

Post by Aidor »

Praetorian wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:37 pm
Aidor wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:44 pm About the save path and the xbr shaders, please let me know if you can reproduce the issues if you can check It. Just to know if it's an issue caused by my device or not.
I believe the first one could be resolved easily since it's cause by a non-typical way we set the save path on Android (as a launch parameter). It would require some testing but we've already quickly discussed in the dev team that this can go away.

The xbr shader issue seems to be related to a missing support for Vulkan API. I currently don't have any idea if this can be eventually supported somehow. Sounds difficult to me. xbrz shaders seem to be working ok. The one I've tried anyway :)

I did stumble upon a crash while trying to download shaders to an external folder, so we'll have to look into that too. Downloading to an internal folder (I used the "saves" one) worked fine though.
That's some good news :) I Hope you can push that save path fix soon. Xbrz shaders works fine yeah, but are a bit demanding and It cause slowdown. The one/two I tested, at least. Anyway, there are other shaders that also can be loaded, doesn't slowdown and looks nice. But I'm used to use xbr in other emulators, so... well, if It can be fixed, nice, if not, it's not a big issue.

Btw, I found those ogg audio files in my PC (only 32mb size), copied to my phone, and set up the extra path as you said, and now that message is gone. And to be honest, music sounds much better and It worth It.
Aidor

Post by Aidor »

Praetorian wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:37 pm
I updated to 2.7.0.1, which changelog says that has fixed this save path issues, but I tested It and even It does not force you to set the default path as in previous version and It saves fine, but when I look the new save folder outside Scummvm, there is any save file.

EDIT: ok, my 'bad'. It turns out that the already added games keeps using the 'old' 2.7.0 deafult save path. Any new game added will use the new custom save path, or we can change game's options save path setting It to 'default' and It will use the new global custom save path.

EDIT2: What I don't understand is what it means the fix included in 2.7.0.1 changelog: "Fix save game removal using the SAF API". I don't see any option inside Scummvm to delete saves. I can manually delete the new saves inside the new custom save path using my device file browser, but I can't delete the old saves inside main Scummvm folder. I can see/copy them in my PC using the LAN feature, but I can't delete them.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Aidor wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:49 am EDIT2: What I don't understand is what it means the fix included in 2.7.0.1 changelog: "Fix save game removal using the SAF API". I don't see any option inside Scummvm to delete saves. I can manually delete the new saves inside the new custom save path using my device file browser, but I can't delete the old saves inside main Scummvm folder. I can see/copy them in my PC using the LAN feature, but I can't delete them.
Some games will offer the option to delete their saves. Also, I believe Cloud save synching may have to delete save games in the process of synching with the ones that exist on the Cloud. The fix addressed an issue with those cases.
Aidor

Post by Aidor »

Praetorian wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:39 pm Some games will offer the option to delete their saves. Also, I believe Cloud save synching may have to delete save games in the process of synching with the ones that exist on the Cloud. The fix addressed an issue with those cases.
Ok, I see. Thanks!
DrLivingstone

Post by DrLivingstone »

Aidor wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:15 pm Hi,

I've installed the last daily build for Android because in 2.6.1 the touchpad emulation does not work in my device (touchpad works fine in 2.7.0), but I have a few 'issues' (not exactly issues):

First, I can't change the save folder path. If I change it, the next time I launch Scummvm it says to change it back to default path.

Second, is there any way to turn 180° the landscape orientation of the screen or set it to auto turn?

Third, in Monkey Island 1, everytime I launch it, it appears a message that says that "This game has audio tracks on its CD. Tracks need to be ripped from the CD...", but then I hit ok and audio is fine. Is there any way to disable this message?

Finally, I can't load the xbr shaders (it loads most of shaders, but not xbr).

Thanks in advance!!
Regarding your second question, I have the same problem with version 2.7.1 (I suppose they have not yet implemented the code for the direction of rotation in Android).
I use this app. "Rotation orientation manager", https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n&hl=es_VE
which works very well and allows me to play in the orientation I need, which is 180º to the one that ScummVM uses by default.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Screen rotation has been implemented in the 2.8.0git daily builds, and will be part of the next official release (no ETA).

If one does not mind losing their current config and added games list, they could try the development builds and provide feedback on the feature.

But keep in mind, the development builds are not update-compatible with the release builds, so a user cannot update from the one to the other without first uninstalling the build they have installed.
DrLivingstone

Post by DrLivingstone »

Praetorian wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:03 am Screen rotation has been implemented in the 2.8.0git daily builds, and will be part of the next official release (no ETA).

If one does not mind losing their current config and added games list, they could try the development builds and provide feedback on the feature.

But keep in mind, the development builds are not update-compatible with the release builds, so a user cannot update from the one to the other without first uninstalling the build they have installed.
Thank you so much. I didn't know that it would already be implemented in the next version.
I'm going to use the Beta version.