Freddy Pharkas ACT3 Shovel bug

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Subbi

Freddy Pharkas ACT3 Shovel bug

Post by Subbi »

Hi,

I'm playing through Freddy Pharkas on ScummVM (latest official build) and during ACT 3 you're supposed to grab a shovel and dig up a grave.
However, once you pick up the shovel it does not turn up in the inventory. I've tried to restore several times, but this bug comes up every time and will not allow you to progress further in the game.

My Freddy Pharkas version is the official CD version. I don't see a version number anywhere in the game.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Freddy Pharkas ACT3 Shovel bug

Post by Praetorian »

Subbi wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:31 pm Hi,

I'm playing through Freddy Pharkas on ScummVM (latest official build) and during ACT 3 you're supposed to grab a shovel and dig up a grave.
However, once you pick up the shovel it does not turn up in the inventory. I've tried to restore several times, but this bug comes up every time and will not allow you to progress further in the game.

My Freddy Pharkas version is the official CD version. I don't see a version number anywhere in the game.
I cannot find any bug ticket on our tracker about this issue, so perhaps it's not a known one.
Edit: Actually I can find a closed ticket and a PR that relates to the shovel and an issue about its icon but I cannot understand the details or if this is similar to your issue as of yet:
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/7059
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/1563

In case, you may open a new ticket on the bug tracker, with additional details (the ScummVM builds that you've tries, on which platform, if you know whether this used to work etc) and attach a save game file for us to try and reproduce the issue?

We have instructions on how to submit a ticket on our documentation site:
https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/help ... _bugs.html
Subbi

Post by Subbi »

I don't think it was a similar issue given that their game crashed while mine didn't.

But, with some shame on my part, I managed find out that there is no issue at all, just a gross misunderstanding on my part on Freddy Pharkas' inventory screen design.
There was this "more" button I did not see and thusfar in the game I wasn't faced with the fact that if you carry more than 8 inventory items, you'd find the rest while clicking on the more button.

Obviously I'm to blame for this first and foremost, but can I remark that this is one of the most atrocious inventory designs in a Sierra game? I don't think this consistent with their other games at all and what's even weirder you don't get triggered because the inventory screen has much more space than merely the 8 items you are carrying, yet puts any other items behind the more button....despite there being plenty of space for at least 10-12 items. I think if the screen would have been full it'd been much clearer to me that the items would be behind clicking an arrow (or a more button in this case).

In any case, my bad :D and sorry for the confusion
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Subbi wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:38 am Obviously I'm to blame for this first and foremost, but can I remark that this is one of the most atrocious inventory designs in a Sierra game?
If you want to see really horrifyingly bad adventure game GUI design, try Curse of Enchantia (not supported in ScummVM). :)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:12 am If you want to see really horrifyingly bad adventure game GUI design, try Curse of Enchantia (not supported in ScummVM).
I thought at first i was to blame, but since i never made it out of the castle on my first try, i now blame the GUI too ;-)