Cloud synch on PSVita gets the timezone wrong

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Sergorov

Cloud synch on PSVita gets the timezone wrong

Post by Sergorov »

Hello everyone!
I'm fairly new to this, so please forgive me if I test your patience.
Recently I got a PSVita on ebay in fairly good condition, and ever since used it as a nice, portable emulator. Most of the time I admittedly run Retroarch, but there is one feature that RA is definitely missing: Cloud saves. That's where ScummVM comes in. I set RA to use the ScummVM saves folder to store my savegames and synch them to Dropbox. That way I actually managed to synch my saves across three completely different platforms: my standard Win10 PC, the RasPi I use as mediacenter and retro console in the living room and the Vita for mobile use. Pretty cool!

There is just one thing I noticed: there is a small but significant bug in the ScummVM cloud saving. If you know about it you can kind of work around it, but I see how it could actually cause data-loss and confusion if someone switches between different platforms a lot (or too fast).

In this thread: viewtopic.php?t=16206 I learned that ScummVM keeps a separate file for the timestamps of its files and based on this list decides which files to pull/push from and to the cloud. That in itself is kind of clever, as it likely keeps the traffic down and synching fast, as only those files that need it are synched. The problem is: apparently the Vita version of ScummVM doesn't get the times correctly. It's off by exactly one hour. So if i save a file at 9:00 CET it will get a timestamp that says 8:00. Of course this creates a problem, as it makes the save older than it actually is for ScummVM, and hence it might actually overwrite it with an older one. It also creates trouble for the cloud exchange per se, as Dropbox actually synchs files by their meta data (changed date), which is differently in this case from the synch date (as ScummVM is "late" and will only push the new save file one hour after it was created).

I hope I made the problem clear enough. Also, I guess it would be fairly easy to fix this bug. I would very much appreciate this, as ScummVM is actually the only way I can kind of sneak a cloud save function into my Vita. There simply are no other options for this (I would genuinely love it if someone could prove me wrong there! :| )

Not sure if this is the right place to address this, but I would love to hear if a) there is at least a slight chnace this could be fixed by the developers, b) if there is a bugtracker somewhere (I could not find one) and c) if anyone has also noticed this or found a workaround (other than waiting one hour after putting the vita down to synch then).
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Re: Cloud synch on PSVita gets the timezone wrong

Post by digitall »

To answer b) ... https://bugs.scummvm.org/

This is noted in the Forum Rules (3a):
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17