Portable ScummVM (USB)

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Mmm, never had a problem running ScummVM from my measly 16 MB USB MaxDrive. Of course the -c switch is mandatory to store your config file in your locale dir.
IAF

Post by IAF »

I try to set up my USB memory in class room and now i try to play in my house and it runs..
In the config file i put:

[scummvm]
gfx_mode=supereagle
music_volume=0
midi_gain=0
speech_volume=0
browser_lastpath=H:\scummvm\jocs\MONKEY2\
aspect_ratio=true
extrapath=.\scummvm\xtra\
music_driver=null
lastselectedgame=DOTT
native_mt32=false
subtitles=false
themepath=.\scummvm\themes\
fullscreen=false
sfx_volume=0
talkspeed=60
speech_mute=false
enable_gs=false
multi_midi=false
versioninfo=0.9.0
savepath=.\scummvm\save\

[gob1]
description=Gobliiins (DOS EGA)
path=.\jocs\goblins\ ### path=.\scummvm\games\monkey1 <- it's badly
#### games in catalan is jocs :P
platform=pc
gameid=gob1
language=es

... more games ...

PD. sorry for my noob english ^^U
Draky

Post by Draky »

Little up for this thread :)

I tried this morning to made scummvm portable through ini and it worked... almost :)

I modified the scummvm.ini manually, changing path to relative ones (sad you can't do that with GUI) and all is ok and I can run with commandline switch (scummvm.exe -c scummvm.ini) and then it runs the game with save on USB stick in relative paths.

Except one problem : scummvm keeps creating 1 folder "ScummVM" + 2 subfolders "Logs" and "Saves Games" in "roaming" dir of my Win7.
The "log" directory always have a logfile in it and I couldn't find the path to change in ini file :( so it keeps create the log file.
And the "saved games" dir is always empty because I changed to relative path in ini file.

So to be a perfect portable apps, it needs to not create dir on computer, in the "roaming" dir (Win7 for me). Log dir should be selectable though...

Any idea for fixing or telling to dev about this ?
Bug tracker ?

Thanks in advance :)

PS : of course, not annoying as those dirs are pretty... invisible and not used but...
dorakvvii

Post by dorakvvii »

Draky wrote:
Except one problem : scummvm keeps creating 1 folder "ScummVM" + 2 subfolders "Logs" and "Saves Games" in "roaming" dir of my Win7.
The "log" directory always have a logfile in it and I couldn't find the path to change in ini file :( so it keeps create the log file.
And the "saved games" dir is always empty because I changed to relative path in ini file.
Hi, I have an easy fix.

Replace the %APPDATA% environment variable path with your own path and it will write those files to the path that you chose.

I use this .BAT file to save settings in the same path as scummvm.exe

Code: Select all

set APPDATA=%~dp0
scummvm.exe -c scummvm.ini
Draky

Post by Draky »

Thanks for the tip :)
darksabre76

PortableApps.com Version

Post by darksabre76 »

This is an old thread, but I feel this is relevant. I'm currently field-testing a PortableApps.com compatible version of ScummVM (meaning it's self-contained and adheres to a certain format) based on the zipped Win32 version. As of the next major release, it will be available on this site, but I'd like to field the testing version before that comes about. So if you want, go to http://portableapps.com/node/34943 and test it out. It should not interfere if you have a local copy installed; it runs completely separate.
Draky

Post by Draky »

Very nice news :)

Thanks a lot.

Will test one day, not now ;)