EFMI for Mac & the 1.1.2 Update

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

michaelklaube

EFMI for Mac & the 1.1.2 Update

Post by michaelklaube »

Dear Monkeys,

I've successfully installed EFMI Mac German in ResidualVM 0.3.0 daily build from November 15th on my Mac mini 2014/15 on OS X Yosemite and played a bit. It's just fantastic: speed and graphics are better than on a PowerMac G3 from some 17 years ago. Thanks!!!

But I have a concern:

There is an Update for version 1.1.2 for EFMI to be found on the internet, and I don't know whether is needed for the game in ResidualVM to play. There is some info in this Readme file that some situation crashes the Mac OS 9 Application, which I doubt affects the emulation with ResidualVM.

Below you can find the original text from the 1.1.2 Updater Readme file in German (sorry that's the only source I have):
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************
Flucht von Monkey Island
Macintosh Versions-Übersicht

Dieses Programm aktualisiert die Version 1.1.1 von Flucht von Monkey Island auf die Version 1.1.2. Dieser Updater funktioniert nur mit der deutschen Verkaufsversion des Spiels.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Version 1.1.2 - 20. Juni 2001

- Einen seltenen Fehler innerhalb des Kontrollraums behoben. Wenn man den gro├ƒen Affenkopf durch die R├Âhre verlassen hat, konnte das Spiel unter gewissen Umst├ñnden instabil werden.

- Verschiedene Korrekturen an der Mac-Library an Low-Level-Timern, Pfad-Konvertierungen und Fenster-Aufbau vorgenommen.

Version 1.1.1 - 5. Mai 2001 (entspricht der ersten deutschen Version)

- Einen Fehler am Strand der Insel Jamalaya behoben. Die Datei "artJam.m4b"
auf CD #2 enthielt kaputte Daten. Die Folge war ein wei├ƒer Hintergrundbildschirm, wenn Guybruch mit Otis sprach, m├Âglicherweise gefolgt von einer Speicherwarnung oder einem Absturz. Der Updater kopiert "artJam.m4b" auf die Festplatte und korrigiert es dort dann.

- Einen Fehler im MP3-Decoding-System behoben. Das Programm versuchte manchmal, die Musik hinter dem Ende der Datei abzuspielen. Dieses Problem trat auch auf am Strand der Insel Jambalaya auf und konnte zu einem Absturz oder seltsamen Programmverhalten f├╝hren.

Version 1.1 - 22. März 2001

- Erste Version. Der Code entspricht der 1.1 der Windows-Software.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Maybe there is an English version on the internet.

Can somebody please give some clarification on this topic?
Longcat

Re: EFMI for Mac & the 1.1.2 Update

Post by Longcat »

Just download the *.exe patch from ResidualVM's download page and place it in the game direcytory folder. It should work with the mac version as well.

I think placing the mac patch in the directory should work as well, but am unsure if it has been implemented.
michaelklaube

Post by michaelklaube »

Indeed, that is the question: does the Mac EFMI 1.1.2 Updater do any tricks on a EFMI Mac installation in terms of recognition or playability in ResidualVM!
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Most probably, it is no different from the Windows patch.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Would be interesting to know if that artJam.m4b issue shows up without the relevant german-patch.

Which reminds me, the only mac-version I own of EFMI _IS_ the german version, so I'll have a look when I get a chance.

Other than that, as far as I remember, for the game data files, the Mac-version should be exactly the same as for the Windows version (except for the game binaries, and the added Aspyr-video). But I can't verify that 100% as I the PC/Mac-versions I own have different languages (English PC, German Mac).

For our purposes we only support reading the PC patch, which hopefully should contain the same game data patches as the Mac-version (any changes to the game binary should be completely irrelevant for ResidualVM as those files aren't used at all).