Swap character key

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

goetz

Swap character key

Post by goetz »

Hi,

what is the function of the "swap character" key that can be mapped in the key mapping dialogue?

My first thought was that it could be used to change the active character/person, but when I tried that in Maniac Mansion and in Zak, nothing happened.

I also had a look into the source code, but could find not find out more details. Maybe it's not meant for Scumm games ...

- Goetz
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Ahh.. my thought is that it should be used to switch between chars in multi character games, but I have n't gotten as far as implementing functionality for it.

BTW any suggestions for keymappings is welcome.
goetz

Post by goetz »

Well. Switching characters, but not implemented, yet - that was also my conclusion. :-D

About key-remapping: Could it be possible to map keys to keys like "Start call (green)", "End call (red)", "edit (little pencil)", "joystick center"? On my E60 I was not able to map any function to them, always resulting in key "none".

I've seen some other topics about non-functioning keys in this forum, so I guess that maybe it can't be done easily or with a general approach.

New functions to be mapped on keys -- no idea at the moment, everything needed seems to be there or planned. :-)

- Goetz
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well.. actually grabbing keys and stuff on Symbian OS 9 requires platform security enabled items, something which would make me not able to release any kind of svn updates etc and some keys are already mapped. Red and green keys I think is not possible to grab right now, but some should be possible, at least "pencil" and "center".

Right now center is used for left mouse click.. Should be mappable in cursor mode I think. But I am not 100% sure. Have to check that.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Hi! The middle button is mapped as a middle joystick button right now, not sure if soft left and right are enough for mouse buttons and the middle button should be left for a shortcut?

As for the ABC button its recognized by S60 as a SHIFT key, and the internal mapping of ScummVM mapps this to a keycode of zero which is not usable. So I have two options, either add SHIFT support as a separate key in ScummVMs SDL backend or remap S60s ABC button or.. well. shift for all SDL versions into another keycode. Not sure whats the best approach is here.
rfc

Post by rfc »

Is there a time frame when we can see the swap character functionality enable? Having at least a version where a manual mapping works would be a good start ... :-) Maniac is not playable without this, Zak works because it has Swap-Command in the Command-Area.
goetz

Post by goetz »

Strange. In my Maniac Mansion (German/DOS/V2) there IS a verb "Person" in the Command Area, which allows to swap the characters.