other games.........

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

FishCake

other games.........

Post by FishCake »

i have a floppy version of kings quest 6, im wondering if there is a way that i can run it with scummvm cuase i cant run it normally with xp anymore
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: other games.........

Post by eriktorbjorn »

FishCake wrote:i have a floppy version of kings quest 6, im wondering if there is a way that i can run it with scummvm cuase i cant run it normally with xp anymore
No, there isn't. Only the games on the compatibility page are supported at all.

FreeSCI would be more likely, but King's Quest 6 isn't on their list of supported games either. I'm not sure what their unstable development branch is capable of, though.

So at this time, your best bet may be DOSbox which emulates an entire PC running DOS, rather than individual game engines. While the emulation is apparently not perfect yet, it still enables it to run far more games than ScummVM or FreeSCI can ever dream of. Of course, this comes at the the cost of being the slowest of the three by far. I have played The Case of the Rose Tattoo with it on my 450 MHz P3, but it was sometimes painfully slow.

Anyway, the DOSbox Web page claims that King's Quest 6 is supported, but since I don't have the game myself I cannot verify this for sure.
fac

Re: other games.........

Post by fac »

eriktorbjorn wrote: So at this time, your best bet may be DOSbox which emulates an entire PC running DOS, rather than individual game engines. While the emulation is apparently not perfect yet, it still enables it to run far more games than ScummVM or FreeSCI can ever dream of. Of course, this comes at the the cost of being the slowest of the three by far. I have played The Case of the Rose Tattoo with it on my 450 MHz P3, but it was sometimes painfully slow.
I agree. Dosbox is a great emulator, but it is a little slow. I think we should at least have a 600MHz PC to use it. And that's why i love ScummVM (to play the supported games). It doens't require a very fast PC, and it's a lot easier to configure.