Can't Find The Files Needed to Start 3 Skulls of the Toltecs

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

philthethrill

Can't Find The Files Needed to Start 3 Skulls of the Toltecs

Post by philthethrill »

I ordered the Windows version of 3 Skulls of the Toltecs from eBay and I can't find the files needed to start it except for WESTERN. I installed it from the CD and on my hard drive the only files I have are logo.bmp, Menu.txt, PICTuRE.exe and WESTERN.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

You mean those mentioned on the datafiles page?

The two files apart from WESTERN seem to be part of some versions out there, but not necessarily needed.

I have the PC version aswell and only WESTERN in my game data dir, it plays fine
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

It's not working for me. I click Start and then ScummVM just closes. No error message.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Just to rule out the obvious...you did add the game to your launcher?

Something like "3 Skulls of the Toltecs (DOS/English)" in the list?

And clicked once on that entry and then on "Start"?

Is there anything on the console?
edit: Obviously not as you already wrote.

Can you start ScummVM with "-d1" for a start, repeat the steps to start the game and see what is printed on the console?
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

I'm not sure how to start ScummVM with "-d1" but I did see something this time on the console because ScummVM froze this time when I clicked Start. It said "User picked target 'toltecs-de'(gameid 'toltecs')... Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Toltecs Engine Starting '3 Skulls of the Toltecs'
MILES-ADLIB: could not open timbre file (SAMPLE.AD or SAMPLE.OPL)!"

I couldn't find 3 Skulls of the Toltecs in English. I could only find it in German. I speak German because I was born there so that's not an issue. I'm not fluent but I can get by and understand the gist of most things. In the ScummVM list the game shows up as "3 Skulls of the Toltecs (DOS/German)."
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Hmm, that is strange.

Maybe the german version *does* need that SAMPLE.* files.

Questions:

1) Which version of ScummVM you are using and could you try a daily build from here?

2) You said you installed the game? I guess with the original installer?
If there is only one .exe (PICTuRE.exe) that has to be the original binary to run the game?
Could you maybe take a nother look on your CD?
Maybe the files have been placed in another subdirectory or installed somewhere else than the rest of the files.
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

1) I'm using 2.0.0. I tried the latest stable build and latest development build. The game wouldn't run when I clicked Start.

2) I installed the game directly from the CD. PICTuRE.exe must be the original binary to start the game. When I double click it, it asks me to insert the CD. I checked the CD. The files that are on it are: a DirectX folder, data1.cab, data2.cab, 3skullsmanual.pdf, Autorun.exe, AUTORUN.INF, CD.ico, data1.hdr, ikernel.ex_, layout.bin, registro.txt, Setup.bmp, Setup.exe, Setup.ini, and setup.inx. I don't think the files have been placed somewhere else. I did a search and nothing came up.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

I can't take a look at my cd right now.

But there is one other thing you could try.
in scummvm options try to use another audio option except adlib...maybe it's because of the miles-adlib audio?
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Oddly, I tested this game back in the day and I had (still have) just the single file "Western" in my game folder. However, I now get the same error as reported when running the game. The ScummVM ini file was new so the environment is not comparable to before though my game folders are.

[2018-08-25 21:57:03] ScummVM 2.0.0 (Dec 9 2017 07:14:40)
[2018-08-25 21:57:03] Vorbis FLAC MP3 RGB zLib MPEG2 FluidSynth Theora AAC FreeType2 JPEG PNG
[2018-08-25 21:57:03] --- Log opened.
[2018-08-25 21:57:03] Using SDL Video Driver "windows"
[2018-08-25 21:57:03] Using SDL Audio Driver "directsound"
[2018-08-25 21:57:03] Output sample rate: 44100 Hz
[2018-08-25 21:57:03] Output buffer size: 1024 samples
[2018-08-25 21:57:05] Palette::clearFragments()
[2018-08-25 21:57:05] MILES-ADLIB: could not open timbre file (SAMPLE.AD or SAMPLE.OPL)!
[2018-08-25 21:57:05] --- Log closed successfully.
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

I tried what Raziel suggested and it worked. Only one of the audio options worked. For me the only one that works is Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth [Windows Midi].

Is there any way to adjust the volume? I can't adjust the master volume setting in the game (the one at the top). I click on the left arrow to turn it down but nothing happens. I think it overrides the other sound settings. No matter what I choose for the other settings, nothing changes with regards to the volume once I start playing. It's always the same volume no matter what I do. Even adjusting the volume using the volume option in ScummVM doesn't make a difference.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

At least you can play it...but it's still strange behaviour worth a bug report methinks.

You can try to press ctrl+f5 while playing the game and use the options to try and change the volume.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Reckless wrote:Oddly, I tested this game back in the day and I had (still have) just the single file "Western" in my game folder. However, I now get the same error as reported when running the game. The ScummVM ini file was new so the environment is not comparable to before though my game folders are.
Can you also try to alter your audio output settings and maybe report it?
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

At least you can play it...but it's still strange behaviour worth a bug report methinks.

You can try to press ctrl+f5 while playing the game and use the options to try and change the volume.
I tried that but it made no difference.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

I'm afraid I can't test with my copy right now.
But it could be because of your audio setting...maybe that wavetable setting doesn't allow volume change or it's simply part of the bug/regression that it won't work.

We'd need someone who knows the engine.
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

I would try the other audio settings but they cause ScummVM to crash when I start the game.

I would try running the game in DosBox but there is no install.exe file on the CD.