Discworld floppy #12 damaged

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Duffadash

Discworld floppy #12 damaged

Post by Duffadash »

When attempting to install the first Discworld game off my floppies today I noticed that floppy disc #12 had become corrupted. I did some recovery on the disc, but was still unable to fully install the game. Does anyone have a functional copy of the file "DW_12.RNC" from disc 12 of the 15 disc Discworld set, that they could send me?

If this goes against the rules of the forums, feel free to lock/delete the thread.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I'm afraid this is against the rules. Have you tried playing your copy to the end?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Not sure if you have a localised copy, but there is an copy on eBay now for just over 10 GBP:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/263803418342?chn=ps
Duffadash

Post by Duffadash »

Longcat wrote:I'm afraid this is against the rules. Have you tried playing your copy to the end?
I'm sorry that I broke the rules.

Sadly I can't get to the point of even attempting to play my copy.
As I mentioned the floppy has some damaged sectors (incredibly it was the only damaged floppy in the set, even though floppies are dying left and right these days). I managed recover some of it using GNU ddrescue and testdisk, but sadly it was still damaged enough that unpacking the game files using the installer fails around the 70% mark. So it's not so much an issue of playing the game to the end, as being able to unpack the game so I can even start it up in the first place, for which I need to replace that one specific file archive from the damaged floppy.[/url]
digitall wrote:Not sure if you have a localised copy, but there is an copy on eBay
My copy isn't localised. Sadly the one on eBay your are linking to only ships to the UK, while I am based in Denmark, so that isn't a viable solution. I would also feel slightly silly buying a second copy of the non-talky version, while I still don't have the superior one voiced by Eric Idle, nor own the sequel.

No, I was merely hoping someone had a copy of their own handy, so I could complete my personal archival of the game. I have several other games whose floppies are also failing, such as two of the disks from the LucasArts Classic Adventures box, but seeing as they contained complete games on their own, redistribution would definitely not be allowed.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Same price, but CD edition for 10GBP ... and they ship to Europe:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-DISCWORLD ... 2523737190
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Besides using the game's installer to extract the data of the damaged disk, have you tried opening the archive with 7zip? With some luck, the installer just uses some DEFLATE algorithm supprted by 7zip...
Duffadash

Post by Duffadash »

rootfather wrote:Besides using the game's installer to extract the data of the damaged disk, have you tried opening the archive with 7zip? With some luck, the installer just uses some DEFLATE algorithm supprted by 7zip...
Sadly 7zip doesn't recognize the files as valid archives. I figure the .RNC file extention probably means it's protected by the old Rob Northen Copylock protection scheme.