Freeware SCUMM games?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jumpjack

Freeware SCUMM games?

Post by jumpjack »

Do they exist freeware Scumm games? I mean, not just ROMS of commercial games,but games produced by amateurs.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Freeware SCUMM games?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

jumpjack wrote:Do they exist freeware Scumm games? I mean, not just ROMS of commercial games,but games produced by amateurs.
To the best of my knowledge, there are no fan-made games for any of the game engines ScummVM currently supports. At least nothing beyond the proof-of-concept stage. There are two commercial games where the original authors have agreed to allow them to be freely distributed, though: Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen. Both of these can be found on the ScummVM downloads page.

The other games, of course, won't be freely distributable until their copyrights expire, and by the time that happens most of us reading this will be long dead.
clem

Re: Freeware SCUMM games?

Post by clem »

eriktorbjorn wrote:There are two commercial games where the original authors have agreed to allow them to be freely distributed, though: Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen.
There's also Lure of the Temptress for free, even though it's not officially supported yet.
jumpjack

Post by jumpjack »

Thx, I'll look for them.
BTW, ... are they... good, IYO?
clem

Post by clem »

jumpjack wrote:Thx, I'll look for them.
BTW, ... are they... good, IYO?
BASS is great imo, FOTAQ is kinda Indy-like with gfx between indy3 and indy4, lure is... well, old (gfx remind me a bit of simon) :)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Just to clarify: None of the free game mentioned here (BASS, FOTAQ, Lure) are actually SCUMM games. They are supported by ScummVM, but do not use LucasArts SCUMM / SPUTM technology.

Just wanted to avoid any potential confusion regarding this matter :-).
Ferk

Post by Ferk »

fingolfin wrote:Just to clarify: None of the free game mentioned here (BASS, FOTAQ, Lure) are actually SCUMM games. They are supported by ScummVM, but do not use LucasArts SCUMM / SPUTM technology.
Lure is supported by ScummVM already? is there even plans implementing it?
Del

Post by Del »

Ferk wrote:
fingolfin wrote:Just to clarify: None of the free game mentioned here (BASS, FOTAQ, Lure) are actually SCUMM games. They are supported by ScummVM, but do not use LucasArts SCUMM / SPUTM technology.
Lure is supported by ScummVM already? is there even plans implementing it?
It's in active development in the SVN repository, although I don't think it's completable at this moment. I'm pretty sure it's not supported.

See here for the progress.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Del wrote:
Ferk wrote:Lure is supported by ScummVM already? is there even plans implementing it?
It's in active development in the SVN repository, although I don't think it's completable at this moment. I'm pretty sure it's not supported.
I'm not involved in the development myself, and I'm not very familiar with the game, but it's playable enough that you can escape from the prison cell. ScummVM will terminate if you try to talk to the prisoner in the next room, though, so I'm guessing there are still a lot of missing pieces.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

eriktorbjorn wrote: I'm not involved in the development myself, and I'm not very familiar with the game, but it's playable enough that you can escape from the prison cell. ScummVM will terminate if you try to talk to the prisoner in the next room, though, so I'm guessing there are still a lot of missing pieces.
As the Lure developer, I can testify that there's still some way to go. Recently I've been working on getting NPCs up and running - the Skorl walks around and tortues Ratpouch; I just need to complete support for letting them talk independantly. Whilst there are several areas that need polishing/completion, the only major area of functionality remaining will be support for your sidekick Ratpouch, which is unfortunately needed to break out of the dungeon. But I want to make sure the other areas are a bit more solid before I start on him.

So development is going rapidly, but it will still be a while before the game is completable, since remember that I'm developing based on a raw disassembly of the original game executable; I need to frequently pause in development to figure out how the original game did something before I can implement it myself.