About World of Xeen GOG Version

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Gudadantza

About World of Xeen GOG Version

Post by Gudadantza »

The World of Xeen GOG Version can be ran as the 2CD or the normal version.

Which Should be the datafiles for the detection of the CD version under Scummvm?, for now only the normal Worlds of Xeen version appears to be detected.

Greetings!
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

Ok. no problem.
If it is useful for any user I must say that the CD version is detected under the "World" folder inside the proper Gog game folder after doing a full install manually with the old dos configurator.
It appears it needeed three archives to be detected by scummvm

Greetings

EDIT: My question remains respecting the full voice support, the game is detected but not the CD voices apparently.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Sorry, I put some details of how to extract the GOG Talkie in the ScummVM README, but probably should have included it in the testing announcement as well:

To properly plan the World of Xeen CD Talkie using original discs, use LAME or some other MP3 encoder to rip the cd audio tracks to files. Name the files track1.mp3 track2.mp3 etc. ScummVM must be compiled with MAD support to use this option. You will need to rip the file from the CD as a WAV file, then encode the MP3 files in constant bit rate. This
can be done with the following LAME command line:

lame -t -q 0 -b 96 track02.wav track02.mp3

For the GOG Might and Magic 4-5 installation, install the game to your computer, and do the following steps:
* The game1.gog file from the game folder is a CD ISO. Use software like Virtual CloneDrive to mount it as a drive.
* Copy all the .cc files from the subfolder in the mounted drive to a new empty game folder that you create for the game.
* Copy all the music/*.ogg files from the GOG installation to your game folder. You'll then need to rename all of them from xeen??.ogg to track??.ogg
* You should then be able to point ScummVM to this new game folder, and the CD talkie version should be detected.
Last edited by dreammaster on Fri May 04, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

Great

Thanks for the answer, I guessed something like this, but I just added the music ogg folder and didn´t rename the archives.

greetings
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

Ok I tested it. I Have a working World Folder detected by scummvm as cd version, inside that folder I have added the ogg files that came into the music folder with gog and renamed each one of them to track**.ogg.

But sadly no voices. The mayor does not want talking to me...:)

Could it be the format of the gog ogg files?

Just one question. The music folder have the archives named from xeen02.ogg to xeen60.ogg.

Ok, Must be renamed as track02.ogg to track60.ogg or track2.ogg to track60.ogg? or perhaps track1.ogg to track59.ogg?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Gudadantza wrote:But sadly no voices. The mayor does not want talking to me...:)
Three things to check:
* Just change the 'xeen' to 'track' in the filenames, leaving the remainder as is. So xeen02.ogg becomes track02.ogg.
* Make sure all the tracks are directly in the new game folder you create, and not, for example, a music subfolder.
* When you start up the game, make sure the title screen has a spinning CD at the bottom. If it doesn't, you're still using the .CC data files from the non-talkie version, and need to get the CC's from the mounted game1 ISO.
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

Ok Thanks, Apparently all is working now. Just the namexeen is changed, the rest as is,the folder is detected as cd version and the game is talkie.

The problem was the savegame. renaming it it was apparently compatible but the voices do not. Starting new game makes the voices work.

Greetings
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Gudadantza wrote:The problem was the savegame. renaming it it was apparently compatible but the voices do not. Starting new game makes the voices work.
Ah that makes sense. The events/scripts for each map are saved as part of the savegame, since scripts can modify themselves. Such as when a chest is opened, it disables itself from running again. So the non-talkie initial scripts for any map area you'd already visited would remain, even when being run on the talkie version.
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

I have found a minor bug, I guess. The game crashes when trying to watch the cloud intro from the other options, It runs during some seconds then crashes to desktop.

Greetings
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Gudadantza wrote:I have found a minor bug, I guess.
Thanks for pointing out the regression. It's now fixed, and will be playable in the next daily build.
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

I have noticed that the spoken voices do not stop when exiting the tents (I do not remember if it is in that way in the original) and it appears that occasionaly other voices do trigger continously afterwards.
it is difficult to me judging, due to my limitations in spoken english, if that voices are quest giver related or if they sound just in the order of numbering from the game folder.

Greetings! and great job with the engine.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

You're right, it wasn't properly stopping the voice playback. I've fixed it. The game is also slightly different from the original, in that I still show the text dialogs in conversations, whereas the CD Talkie suppressed them, and only played the speech.

I also noticed that incorrect tracks are being played for Darkside. I'll look into fixing that now. But if you have any specific examples of other voices being triggered, I'll look into it further.. in Xeen, multiple conversation fragments were added per audio track, so it's possible that the calculations for what region of the tracks to play is currently slightly incorrect.
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

I have not tested a lot of them but as an example, the mayor, once the dwarf quest is given, use to trigger other voices continously which now I can confirm that are not from the mayor but from some trainers etc...
I remember having suffered it with the herbalist as well. etc...

But maybe this problem won´t be a glitch anymore if the fix works well cutting the voice at exit.

Greetings.
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

One possible bug I have doubts about. The fountain outside vertigo keeps giving +25 health each time party drinks. if I´m not wrong the fountain should stop buffing when the health color is plated, just after the green color(full health). But I am not sure.

Greetings
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Well spotted. I've fixed the check, so now it matches the original and you can't get further Hp once your level exceeds your maximum.